Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
GOINGSOLO2

Drives: All Models
NEW High Flow Cats COMING SOON from SOLO Performance

Great news! Just recently, we have gotten a better look at just how restrictive GM converters can be on the G8. We believe that the same might be true on the Camaro, so here comes SOLO to the rescue. We have a Camaro scheduled to come in next week and be fitted with high flow cats that we are developing for the Camaro. The converter assembly will be full stainless steel, mandrel bent, and of the highest quality. They will also be rated for more horsepower and will not be released until the CEL is not a threat. The inner core will be 200 cell and ultra free-flowing. We make in-house 02 extenders that we are confident will work in keeping the CEL OFF, while providing an even more powerful and raw sound along with a substantial boost in HP and TQ. We are very excited...please post if this is something that might interest you. We look forward to releasing another quality SOLO product to the Camaro community!!

Steve, Jeff and the SOLO Crew
GOINGSOLO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
SharpSS

Drives: Decked Out Inferno Orange 2SS
May be interested. Keep us informed.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
would like to get some pics asap.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #4
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
how much

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
FB3

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS LS3, BRM, NPP
Very interesting. Will these replace the stock midpipe and bolt up directly from the stock manifold to the Solo cat back exhaust?
Old 04-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I've heard that hi-flow cats on the Camaro don't make much difference, in fact -- I think Jannetty tested the theory and got that outcome.

But, it would be interesting to see the before-and-after results of highflow cats (all else identical) and the price. Thanks for continuing to innovate with the Camaro!
Old 04-22-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
GOINGSOLO2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron10 View Post
would like to get some pics asap.
We have the car coming in next week for fitment and testing. After that, I will post some pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffny09 View Post
how much
We have not determined the price yet. After testing, we will price it out. Once these are ready for production, I will start a new thread with all of the pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB3 View Post
Very interesting. Will these replace the stock midpipe and bolt up directly from the stock manifold to the Solo cat back exhaust?

We will be making them as a bolt-on replacement for the stock converters. As with the G8, it should be able to fit both the stock exhaust and our cat-back kits (or anything else that bolts to stock). I will have more information when testing begins We are VERY excited about these converters.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
GOINGSOLO2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I've heard that hi-flow cats on the Camaro don't make much difference, in fact -- I think Jannetty tested the theory and got that outcome.

But, it would be interesting to see the before-and-after results of highflow cats (all else identical) and the price. Thanks for continuing to innovate with the Camaro!
That's what we intend to find out...we alway pull something out of our sleeves LOL. If it would not be worth it, I doubt that we would release it. We will be sure to test it very well.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #9
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

I don't know this for sure but my bet on the Jannetty testing it was with an ARH system that had high-flow cats vs one w/o cats. The difference between those two are probably minimal. However, the difference between the stock cats and high flow cats are probably totally different. My guess is that there is a chance of seeing some HP gain. The trick is going to be to get it to not throw a code and yet be resonably priced.

The ADM offroad downpipes (no cats) are supposed to be worth 18 rwhp but they need a tune. So....lets assume based on Jannetty's testing that if a high flow cat is about as effective as no cats then there is a chance you could see close to the same output as the ADM offroads. Again....get it to not throw a code and be reasonably priced and I'm in.

BTW: there was an exhaust Mfg (might have been Magnaflow) that did the same thing and showed it off at SEMA. The thing I didn't get with it is that they had two cats. You should only need one cat. Not only will the system be less expensive to produce but my guess would be more HP. I deleted my rear cat already and there are no codes or issues and it made my exhaust slightly louder. Only the first cat is being monitored by the system.

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I don't know this for sure but my bet on the Jannetty testing it was with an ARH system that had high-flow cats vs one w/o cats. The difference between those two are probably minimal. However, the difference between the stock cats and high flow cats are probably totally different.
Derrrr..... You're very right -- I was remembering wrong. Thanks for correcting me!!
Old 04-22-2010, 08:13 PM   #11
GOINGSOLO2

Thanks for the input everyone. We will test it out and have some more information for you soon
Old 04-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #12
camarohead

Drives: 2010 ss rs ls3 red-white rallys
Hey guys, I have yall's Mach x catback. Love it. These high flow cats will void the warranty right? Wanted to get an aftermarket cold air intake, but my dealer told me not to do it if I wanted to keep my warranty. Like the guy, but he's killin my buzz. Lol
camarohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:54 AM   #13
GOINGSOLO2

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarohead View Post
Hey guys, I have yall's Mach x catback. Love it. These high flow cats will void the warranty right? Wanted to get an aftermarket cold air intake, but my dealer told me not to do it if I wanted to keep my warranty. Like the guy, but he's killin my buzz. Lol
Here's the deal with the warranty: Unless the dealer can prove your aftermarket part caused the damage, they legally can not void it. This is what the Magnusson-Moss Act states. Telling you that a CAI will void warranty is complete garbage. My Solstice has an intercooler, tune, HF cat, exhaust, IC pipes, etc., and my dealer never refused repair work. You just have to find a better dealership that won't give you a hard time.

As for the HF cats, we will not release them if they cause a CEL. If the CEL does not come on, they will not void the warranty. We are very confident that our 02 extenders and the high rating for the cats will keep the CEL off!
Old 04-23-2010, 06:59 AM   #14
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOINGSOLO2 View Post
As for the HF cats, we will not release them if they cause a CEL. If the CEL does not come on, they will not void the warranty. We are very confident that our 02 extenders and the high rating for the cats will keep the CEL off!
definitely following this, because of the CEL I have not moved in that 'exhaust' direction.

Is this going to be tested on an L99 and LS3?
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote