Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #57
obrut

Drives: 2010 SIM 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
I was talking to a GM guy at Indy, and honestly I agreed with him. Once you start running it as a race car, you need to treat it as such.
That kind of defeats the purpose of buying a 1LE, and what about the weekend racers that drive their cars to work?

So why put brembos brakes and make the car handle if you can't take it on a closed course and stretches its legs everyonce in a while?

I'm a big GM guy but this is just GM BS.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #58
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
Is it?

Then your position is that the cars need special air bag modules for road race cars? I drag race my car a lot, should I have a drag race package?

I will be the first to admit I know nothing about the current safety standards.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #59
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
Yeah John, I am concerned to the point of wondering if I will take this car to the track again. I averaged once a month since March, and even bought a trailer to haul it around. Ironically the first time I used the trailer was when the bags blew.

I think there are some people that still are missing the point of this. I don't believe there is a defect (at least not in my car), the system was designed to work with a stock car. My mistake was not realizing sooner that the Camaro SS is not a sports car, although you can certainly modify it to work better. However, GM didn't design this car so you could turn it into a road course monster. Their safety systems are designed for an everyday driver in stock form. I learned an expensive lesson. Don't modify your car and expect GM to be OK with it when something f*s up. The old saying "gotta pay to play" holds up here. My advice, proceed at your own risk.

As for filing this with my insurance company, it won't fly. I was not on a public road, and my ins. co. doesn't cover this stuff when a car is used in this manner. My wife used to work for them and told me this before I ever went to the track. Fortunately she's be cool with this expensive set back and hasn't given me any grief about tracking in the future.

Just one more reason to buy the agreed value HPDE insurance offered at most events.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #60
obrut

Quote:
Is it?

Then your position is that the cars need special air bag modules for road race cars? I drag race my car a lot, should I have a drag race package?

I will be the first to admit I know nothing about the current safety standards.
My position is don't make a car that can out perform the air bag system. I didn't buy a camaro ss just to get from point a to b any car can do that.

So your position is the brakes and suspension on these cars are just for show? Because who really needs brembos for daily driving?
Old 10-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #61
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
I actually might be agreeing with you, but I don't know what the answer is.

I guess if I was buying a car that is geared to road racing, I'd want a track-only program or something, like be able to flip a switch. It it weird to have to pull air bag fuses, I'd wish they had a button or something.

I've been drag racing late model GM's since the late 90's, and I'm kinda used to pulling fuses and even removing the air bags, but if I bought a 1LE OP's airbag situation would make me real nervous about leaving the air bags functional.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #62
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by obrut View Post
My position is don't make a car that can out perform the air bag system. I didn't buy a camaro ss just to get from point a to b any car can do that.

So your position is the brakes and suspension on these cars are just for show? Because who really needs brembos for daily driving?
GM didn't make a car (in my case) that outperformed the air bag system, I did with mods. If you want a car that won't have the mishap I had, DON'T mod it and GM well probably cover you. And I will say this again for the 1LE, drive it stock on the track unless you have the pocket book to pay.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #63
bannonm

Quote:
I actually might be agreeing with you, but I don't know what the answer is.

I guess if I was buying a car that is geared to road racing, I'd want a track-only program or something, like be able to flip a switch. It it weird to have to pull air bag fuses, I'd wish they had a button or something.

I've been drag racing late model GM's since the late 90's, and I'm kinda used to pulling fuses and even removing the air bags, but if I bought a 1LE OP's airbag situation would make me real nervous about leaving the air bags functional.
I'm going with a roll cage for the track with the air bags disabled. I'll turn them on when on the street for safety and liability reasons. I have a friend who has the equipment to make custom cages so we're designing it now. He is an experienced stock car builder and so it should look great when done.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #64
obrut

I thought air bags deploy during an accident? Maybe my understanding of what air bags are for is wrong. So the air bags can deploy if there is a close call?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #65
bannonm

Quote:
I thought air bags deploy during an accident? Maybe my understanding of what air bags are for is wrong. So the air bags can deploy if there is a close call?
Doesn't sound like you have read through this entire thread. My side curtains popped on me while cornering. Long story short, GM sent me their "proprietary" report showing the computer said i pulled 1.5Gs peak at the point the curtains went off. The car was not designed to perform like that stock, so I exceeded what the air bag system was calibrated for. It thought I was rolling over according to what the computer data indicated. I was not out of control, or drifting. I had just exited the apex and was on the throttle.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #66
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
Doesn't sound like you have read through this entire thread. My side curtains popped on me while cornering. Long story short, GM sent me their "proprietary" report showing the computer said i pulled 1.5Gs peak at the point the curtains went off. The car was not designed to perform like that stock, so I exceeded what the air bag system was calibrated for. It thought I was rolling over according to what the computer data indicated. I was not out of control, or drifting. I had just exited the apex and was on the throttle.
What tread wear rating are the tires you run on track?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #67
bannonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
What tread wear rating are the tires you run on track?
I run pilot super sports in a balanced 285/35-20 on 10 inch wheels. Those tires and wheels helped me shave off consistently 5 seconds on my timed laps.

I'm switching to the Pedders FE4 sways this off season too. I should really have fun next year.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:49 AM   #68
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:

Seems like this GM product is all show. Makes GM look like a joke in my book. Then to create a 1LE to compete with the Boss and can stand up to the abuse GM get real. For us who really want to track our toys and not do stupid stuff on the street honestly we don't have time for these stupid games.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #69
dirkdoesdirt

Drives: 2010 Silverado, Ordered 1LE
Read an article the other day while sitting at the drs office. It was about the "NEW" ZL1 (2012). Hint: Dr office, old magazines). It had a comment in it about the ZL! being built as a true track car and GM stated that if some component failed in the car at the track (and the car had not been modified) they would cover the repairs under warranty. Don't know if this still holds true for 1LE or 2013 but it made sense for them to make that statement. I think the mag was Autoweek.
dirkdoesdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #70
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
It should hold true, the OP had modified suspension so I can see whGM might step back. I'm curious ot know if the other Camaro videos had stock suspension or modified?

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote