Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 01-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
AznBen51

Drives: Inferno Orange Metallic LT 2
Washing

How do you guys detail your cars and what materials do ya'll use? I am terrified of using the foam brush at the car wash. So I usually soak and dry off with a microfiber cloth...what's ya'lls recommendations?
AznBen51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
Hello fellow Lubbock-ian! It's crappy weather around here to hand wash which is the way I'd go. I do take it to the coin-opp for a rinse/vacuum every now and then though, but nothing more. I can't remember where the video is about touchless vs coin-opp (with brush) vs people washing (where they use a squeegee to remove the water) and shows the cons of all three. Basically you should hand-wash it yourself. Coin-Opp brush left tremendous damage as did the squeegee dry to the paint, with the touchless being 'best' at a rating of 5 out of 10 with 10 being the worst.

With that said, Lubbock water sucks and will leave terrible hardwater spots. Get a filter system if you're going to use hose water. Check the dedicated forum for specific products here. As for drying, I always use a genuine leather chamois (be sure to get it completely soaked, then ring it as dry as you can before usage and just lay it on the car and pull one direction).
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
bdsnooks

Drives: 2010 RS
Thumbs up

Hi AznBen51,

Take a look here---
http://www.autopia.org/forum/index.php

LOTS of good advice!
bdsnooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
AznBen51

Drives: Inferno Orange Metallic LT 2
Thank both of you. Tommy, appreciate the advice. I went to the carwash on 66th and Homestead ish. I didn't use the foam brush, just the soap from the gun. I presoaked, soap sprayed and then rinsed and dried myself with a microfiber towel. All went well until I saw closely like water marks or soap stains on the paint, so it took a little harder touch to get those out. So I just don't want that again.
AznBen51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
I wash mine in the driveway. As long as it is in the mid 40s+ it works fine. I get a bucket of hot water and roll up my sleeves a bit. Basically make sure nothing but my hands gets wet during the process.
jtzako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
SWHCPA
Snow White can be naughty

Drives: '10 Camaro/'67 Mustang
Send a message via AIM to SWHCPA Send a message via Yahoo to SWHCPA Send a message via Skype™ to SWHCPA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTSquared View Post
As for drying, I always use a genuine leather chamois (be sure to get it completely soaked, then ring it as dry as you can before usage and just lay it on the car and pull one direction).
+1 ... no other way to go in my opinion. A quality shamois is expensive to get the size you need; but, worth every single penny. Treat it like a good woman and it will last you forever.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
Oh yeah, and you will eventually need to wash it. But never, EVER use soap. Just put it through a wash/rinse cycle and then air dry in the sun. I don't know if that is the 'proper' method for cleaning them, but that is what I've always done.
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
llevan22

Drives: SIM 2LT/RS
I take mine to the wash on 4th and 289. I bring my own soap and towels...all I use is their water.
llevan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #9
WhyMe

Drives: 2010 Summit White Camaro 2SS
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31056 Click on this lnk. More info than you can read in a week on how to properly wash, clay bar, polish, and apply sealant / wax to your car.
WhyMe is offline   Reply With Quote