Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-13-2015, 09:35 AM   #1
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
I saw more Hellcats yesterday than ZL1 Camaros!

I went to our local Cars and Coffee cruise-in yesterday and there was a green auto Hellcat there (one I've seen before). Then, at the local Dodge dealer there is a sold white Hellcat (also an auto). Both are very sharp.

But - care to guess how many ZL1s I saw yesterday other than mine?

Yep - ZERO. I even saw three Vipers out and about; a Gen II, a Gen III and a Gen IV. But not one other ZL1 Camaro to be seen.

Why is that? While I like uniqueness this seems really hard to believe.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:59 AM   #2
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Because the ZL1s were out doing what they were created for.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:20 AM   #3
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
I know how you feel, at a local car cruise yesterday, about 5 15GT's, 2 Hellcats, 4 C7's. only 2 other Camaro's 68 and a 69. Mine and various other cars. Funny had to explain twice what a ZL1 is. On our way home we pass a Hotwheel's Camaro. I have never seen another ZL1 in my area. Since spring started loads of C7's on the Highways.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:25 AM   #4
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
I know how you feel, at a local car cruise yesterday, about 5 15GT's, 2 Hellcats, 4 C7's. only 2 other Camaro's 68 and a 69. Mine and various other cars. Funny had to explain twice what a ZL1 is. On our way home we pass a Hotwheel's Camaro. I have never seen another ZL1 in my area. Since spring started loads of C7's on the Highways.
Exactly. And at the C&C, there were THREE C7 Z06's! Those are $80K-$100K cars.

There was a Gen IV Camaro at the C&C (built, barely streetable with an LSX motor etc), a Synergy Green Gen V SS and a red Gen V SS plus my ZL1 but that was it for Camaro representation. Tons of Vettes, several Ferraris, several Porsches including a wicked GT3, several '15 Mustangs, and several C7 Vettes (on top of the C6 and older models).

There was even a Cadillac CTS-V WAGON - how many of those do you see? Haha!

But even on the roads there and back - not one other ZL1 out and about.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:58 AM   #5
revobasher

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I like the exclusiveness. There were actually four ZL1s at our local C&C last week. Including mine. And three challenger hellcats and two C7 Z06s
740hp/700tq @14lbs on E85

Build Thread
revobasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:39 AM   #6
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Old 04-13-2015, 12:10 PM   #7
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
I'm willing to bet a lot of guys in your region still have their ZL1's nestled in the garage with the storage insurance on them waiting to get dropped and put back on the road.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:30 PM   #8
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Or maybe, just maybe, the Challenger Hellcat is the more desirable car! I don't remember GM having to halt orders of the ZL1 because the demand was outpacing the supply.

And I wonder if some people understand the word exclusive? By definition, it means something that is only available to a particular person or group. Last time I checked, anybody could buy a ZL1, if they had the desire and financial means to do do.

I remember back when I owned my 2005 GTO, some fellow owners would refer to its "exclusivity" as one of the reasons they bought it. What I found they really meant, more often than not, is that it was the only non-Corvette GM performance car they could get at the time, so they needed to justify buying a car with less than spectacular styling.

Last edited by titanfan; 04-13-2015 at 03:25 PM.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:57 PM   #9
BeachBum

Drives: 2012 (ZL-1) #468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
I'm willing to bet a lot of guys in your region still have their ZL1's nestled in the garage with the storage insurance on them waiting to get dropped and put back on the road.
Amen !! "Baby's" Comes Out Of Storage With Road Insurance May 1st - She's Been Setting All Winter With Storage Insurance
Old 04-13-2015, 02:11 PM   #10
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztwentypoop View Post
Or maybe, just maybe, the Challenger Hellcat is the more desirable car! I don't remember GM having to halt orders of the ZL1 because the demand was outpacing the supply.

And I wonder if some people understand the word exclusive? By definition, it means something that is only available to a particular person or group. Last time I checked, anybody could by a ZL1, if they had the desire and financial means to do do.

I remember back when I owned my 2005 GTO, some fellow owners would refer to its "exclusivity" as one of the reasons they bought it. What I found they really meant, more often than not, is that it was the only non-Corvette GM performance car they could get at the time, so they needed to justify buying a car with less than spectacular styling.
Less than spectacular is dead on. I had an '06 GTO (Spice Red Metallic) and it was a fun car - until you looked at from a side or rear 3/4 view. OMG, was that back end fugly.

400 HP and the 6 speed was fun though - at least back then. Now, that is V6 territory...
Old 04-13-2015, 03:27 PM   #11
revobasher

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I saw more Hellcats yesterday than ZL1 Camaros!

Quote:

And I wonder if some people understand the word exclusive? By definition, it means something that is only available to a particular person or group. Last time I checked, anybody could buy a ZL1, if they had the desire and financial means to do do.

And yes technically everybody can buy a McLaren P1 as well but that doesn't mean they have the pockets to do so.
740hp/700tq @14lbs on E85

Build Thread
revobasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:30 PM   #12
titanfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
Less than spectacular is dead on. I had an '06 GTO (Spice Red Metallic) and it was a fun car - until you looked at from a side or rear 3/4 view. OMG, was that back end fugly.

400 HP and the 6 speed was fun though - at least back then. Now, that is V6 territory...
And to this day, folks who still own those cars tell everyone how exclusive it is to own one. I bought mine because I wanted a V8 two-door, four seat performance car and, having already owned a S197 Mustang GT the year prior, it was the only feasible option. I sure didn't buy it because of the aesthetics.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:36 PM   #13
titanfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by revobasher View Post
And yes technically everybody can buy a McLaren P1 as well but that doesn't mean they have the pockets to do so.
Correct, which is why I put the financial caveat in my original post. But let's be real here, if someone can afford a Challenger Hellcat, they can certainly afford a ZL1. Can't say the same about the McLaren. Again, "exclusive" is not the word I would use to describe owning ZL1. They might be seen on the roads/at car shows less often than other makes models, but that makes them "rare", not "exclusive".
Old 04-13-2015, 04:05 PM   #14
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Quote:
Correct, which is why I put the financial caveat in my original post. But let's be real here, if someone can afford a Challenger Hellcat, they can certainly afford a ZL1. Can't say the same about the McLaren. Again, "exclusive" is not the word I would use to describe owning ZL1. They might be seen on the roads/at car shows less often than other makes models, but that makes them "rare", not "exclusive".
I don't know if 'rare' is an accurate word to be honest. I think it would be something more like seldom seen because they do not sell well.

I doubt you will find new Hellcats sitting on a lot two years from now like you can still find new 2013 (and even an occasional new 2012!) ZL1s. That is except for the REALLY stupidly greedy dealers who want $20K or more over MSRP.

It's kind of sad really because the ZL1 is a great car and an incredible performance machine.

It's just weird you never see the very few that did sell out on the road. Hell, there were three Shelby GT500s and an 850 HP Super Snake at the cruise in yesterday!