Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Yeti

Drives: Summit White RS
Get off my rear!!!

This is not really off topic, but has anyone had trouble with other people follwing closely to the car or just following them. This is the 3rd time this has happened to me. so.........

I got off work this mourning, and noticed a box truck behind me. When I stopped at the stop light, the driver stopped really close to the back of my car, couldn't even see the truck lights in my rear view, so it was close. Next light the truck did the same thing. So I begain to speed up. The truck followed me and would not pass. I then got on the interstate, the truck was behind me a ways, but eventually caught up and right on my butt, would not pass. I stayed cool and kept driving a steady speed, passed a few cars and the truck fell back a ways then next thing I know the box truck was back on my butt. So after about 3 minutes of being follwed I shifted to the left lane behind a semi truck, the truck followed me closely. As soon as the semi moved over I gunned it and got away from the truck. Ended up speeding for a ways to get distance. Finally got off my exit and looked back to see if the truck was following me, nope it continued on.

I am not sure what was going on, crazy weired. Have had people get really close to my car and folow me and not pass before, maybe bad luck idk.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
he was using your draft just playing. i cant stand it when people tailgate to close. sometimes a nice break check will get their attention
Old 03-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznts View Post
he was using your draft just playing. i cant stand it when people tailgate to close. sometimes a nice break check will get their attention
I really want a little momentary switch that when I press it, it fires my brake lights rapid strobe.

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
Wild Bill

Drives: Camaro 2015 RS CRM
I hate tailgaters, especially trucks. If you have to panic stop, your Bremos are going to stop your car a hell of a lot sooner than the truck can stop. That being said, the best way to deal with a tailgater is not to speed up, but to slow down. He/she will get frustrated and pass you.
6000 - 7/17/09
See my Thread in New York Metro Area.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33878
Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
Ivas
el Ruco

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (now runnin' TENS )
Maybe he was just smelling your butt, and hoping for a bitch. Lol
Ivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
Powhusku

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Slow down to twenty under the speed you were originally doing. If he still doesn't pass you by then, try to get next to him and start pretending to take his picture with your phone or something, that always scares 'em.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I hate tailgaters!!! Tempted to have a light made for the rear window that flashes "Get Off My Ass" when you tap the brakes...
Old 03-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
mastertypodemon
Late Night Crew

Drives: 2010 SIM 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powhusku View Post
Slow down to twenty under the speed you were originally doing.
That's generally what I do to tailgaters.

On a side note, did you check your back seat for axe-murders? Just asking.
mastertypodemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
GotGame55
Haters gonna hate?

Drives: '04 Chevy Dirtymax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybugsmom View Post
I hate tailgaters!!! Tempted to have a light made for the rear window that flashes "Get Off My Ass" when you tap the brakes...
Old 03-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #10
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
I cant stand that crap. If there is little to no traffic and someone tailgates me for more than 5-10 seconds they get my brakes. Ive had to slow down to 15 MPH once because some lady was tailgating me with almost NO traffic on a 3 lane highway when I was in the center. She didnt even look like she understood why I slowed down.

The way I see it, if there is almost no traffic there is no reason to tailgate, I dont need someone following too close if I have to slam on my brakes.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #11
Blue17CamaroZL1
650HP soon to come

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1
you need one of these:

Blue17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #12
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Back when I was younger...about 1984, I had a 73 Charger SE. One of my jobs was folding papers for the L.A. times at a distribution point with about 8 other people. I would drive in at about 2am. One morning, this 2nd Gen Camaro decided to glue himself to my bumper with NO traffic on Sunset Blvd near Will Rogers State Park. This went on for a couple of miles, and I even slowed down & sped up a little to make him go around...since he could have changed lanes and easily passed me.

I'm pretty sure this guy wanted to race, since my Charger had a 440 Magnum, and was lifted in the rear to give it that slanted stance...and huge rear tires...I think they were 305's or something insanely wide.

Anyways, I ended up getting sick of him doing this and was doing the speed limit again after he just wouldn't pass. I think he was about 2 feet from my bumper or less the entire time, and I was doing anywhere from 20-50, with the speed limit being 35.

I jammed on the brakes, HARD...pretty muck locking up the tires. I expected him to hit me, but instead he went sideways...then off the road, over the sidewalk into a ditch.

I wouldn't do that sort of thing now...now I tap the brakes, and then brake check...but not like I did back then.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:37 PM   #13
Vette TPI

Drives: 1987 Corvette TPI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
I hate tailgaters, especially trucks. If you have to panic stop, your Bremos are going to stop your car a hell of a lot sooner than the truck can stop. That being said, the best way to deal with a tailgater is not to speed up, but to slow down. He/she will get frustrated and pass you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powhusku View Post
Slow down to twenty under the speed you were originally doing. If he still doesn't pass you by then, try to get next to him and start pretending to take his picture with your phone or something, that always scares 'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybugsmom View Post
I'm getting one made already but tail instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Back when I was younger...about 1984, I had a 73 Charger SE. One of my jobs was folding papers for the L.A. times at a distribution point with about 8 other people. I would drive in at about 2am. One morning, this 2nd Gen Camaro decided to glue himself to my bumper with NO traffic on Sunset Blvd near Will Rogers State Park. This went on for a couple of miles, and I even slowed down & sped up a little to make him go around...since he could have changed lanes and easily passed me.

I'm pretty sure this guy wanted to race, since my Charger had a 440 Magnum, and was lifted in the rear to give it that slanted stance...and huge rear tires...I think they were 305's or something insanely wide.

Anyways, I ended up getting sick of him doing this and was doing the speed limit again after he just wouldn't pass. I think he was about 2 feet from my bumper or less the entire time, and I was doing anywhere from 20-50, with the speed limit being 35.

I jammed on the brakes, HARD...pretty muck locking up the tires. I expected him to hit me, but instead he went sideways...then off the road, over the sidewalk into a ditch.

I wouldn't do that sort of thing now...now I tap the brakes, and then brake check...but not like I did back then.
I had to break check people twice with this car already! Not hard enough to get hit but enough to say "Get off my tail!"
Old 03-06-2012, 11:56 PM   #14
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
An easy way to get them to leave you alone is to just take your foot off the accelerator and let the car slow down on it's own. Eventually they'll get sick of being behind you and pass.