Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
68LS3

Drives: 1968 camaro
HELP!!! LS3 whipple problem

I know this is my first post, done alot of reading on here, but never needed any help till now. I went crazy (spent alot of money) and bought my Dad a whipple SC from TORQ (Paul and Eric are both great) for his completely custom 68 camaro build that he is doing, there is very little stock on the car. Suspension, mini tubs, running gear, ect. He bought the 480hp LS3 crate motor. But when I ordered the kit from TORQ, I made a HUGE mistake and didnt think to check that the accessory package he has on the LS3 is the Corvette, not Camaro (pulley's and such). So the SC doesnt work with anything on his LS3, it sits exactly 1 5/8" to far forward.
(the main difference between the 2 LS3 whipple SC's) Obviously the easiest would be to toss the camaro LS3 whipple and buy a Corvette LS3 Whipple. We would just buy the camaro accessory package but than all the problems will rise from the ac, water pump, all the brackets, hoses, lines, since everything is custom, alot of stuff has very close clearances, and wont work with a different package. Basically looking if anyone has any thoughts or options. If Eric or Paul from Torq would let us exchange the Camaro ls3 Whipple SC for the vette LS3 SC, we would be willing to buy more stuff, or pay a exchange fee, but im not sure if that's realistic.
the car was hopefully to be on the road this summer, but at this point, its not very likely.

Any options, or opinions, anything helpful at all would be very much appreciated

James
68LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
carbon8

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS,2008 Hayabusa
See if they will swap it out.

Fastest camaro in OKC
carbon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
68LS3

That what were hoping for, currently it sounds unlikely, maybe some negotiations are needed to sweet'n the deal (buy a cam kit, or kick in some extra cash for the hassel)
I dont see to many options, maybe someone else can see something im missing
Old 04-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
Zman12

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68LS3 View Post
I know this is my first post, done alot of reading on here, but never needed any help till now. I went crazy (spent alot of money) and bought my Dad a whipple SC from TORQ (Paul and Eric are both great) for his completely custom 68 camaro build that he is doing, there is very little stock on the car. Suspension, mini tubs, running gear, ect. He bought the 480hp LS3 crate motor. But when I ordered the kit from TORQ, I made a HUGE mistake and didnt think to check that the accessory package he has on the LS3 is the Corvette, not Camaro (pulley's and such). So the SC doesnt work with anything on his LS3, it sits exactly 1 5/8" to far forward.
(the main difference between the 2 LS3 whipple SC's) Obviously the easiest would be to toss the camaro LS3 whipple and buy a Corvette LS3 Whipple. We would just buy the camaro accessory package but than all the problems will rise from the ac, water pump, all the brackets, hoses, lines, since everything is custom, alot of stuff has very close clearances, and wont work with a different package. Basically looking if anyone has any thoughts or options. If Eric or Paul from Torq would let us exchange the Camaro ls3 Whipple SC for the vette LS3 SC, we would be willing to buy more stuff, or pay a exchange fee, but im not sure if that's realistic.
the car was hopefully to be on the road this summer, but at this point, its not very likely.

Any options, or opinions, anything helpful at all would be very much appreciated

James
I would think even if you had to pay a restocking fee it would be worth it to not have to go through the hassle of converting it. If not I would sell on your own and then buy the correct one.

Side note: Did you tell Torq that you were putting it on a 68, I was just thinking if it was for anything other than a new camaro some questions should have been asked by them also.

Good luck, please post pics of this beast of a car
Old 04-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68LS3 View Post
So the SC doesnt work with anything on his LS3, it sits exactly 1 5/8" to far forward.
What is sitting to far forward? The unit? The drive connecting to the pulleys and the belt?
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
68LS3

Torq knew I was putting it on a 68, but I assume they figured I did my research as I asked them for the camaro whipple kit. My fault. As for as sitting 1 5/8" to far forward I believe it's the pulleys (tensioner kit as well) honestly I'm not 100% since I haven't seen the car since my dad tried to start fitting the SC on. Whipple confirmed the vette SC sits exactly 1 5/8" back. I'll try to get some pics up soon, this $$ b-day gift is turning into a big pain in the a$$, but 600+rwhp will be awesome, has 335/35r17 to lite up in the back, (they tuck when the bags are all the way down

Last edited by 68LS3; 04-30-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
68LS3

Also the current SC parts done clear the upper water pump hose bulge if that makes sense
Old 04-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Call whipple directly,if this is a new kit in the box i would think they would swap it out with no issue,if we can help you out let us know.Shops really dont want to take anything back,they more than likely dont stock whipples so they dont have inventory to swap they would have to buy the one you want ,swap it and then sell your to get there money back,thats asking alot.Whipple on the other hand sells blowers daily and it would be no loss to them and to keep you a happy customer
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
Cant you just change the snout out for the right one?
Old 04-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #10
68LS3

Can't just change the "snout", the pulley is too far forward. And the casting behind it is part of the SC (bearing inside I assume)
The guy a whipple basically said your outa luck, implying our only option is Torq, as it's very unlikely they (whipple) will do a swap, as they are completely different SC's
Another problem is with the a/c. It's where the whipple tensioner goes, as the vette and camaro have the a/c below. On this 68 the subframe and braces are there, so moving the a/c to the lower passenger side isn't an option. But u can always make it work somehow
Old 04-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #11
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
I guess either torq may swap it out or sell it and get the right kit....
Old 04-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
68LS3

I was hoping for something we missed, but it looks like there is no magical answer. Hopefully Torq will continue their great customer service and help us out... even if it costs a bit more, id rather do that than try to sell and re buy
thanks to those who tried to help
Old 04-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
68LS3

here is a couple pics, hasnt been updated in a while though
the pictures dont capture the yellow well, its actually color matched to a bio-security road sign, almost neon yellow... very bright, not milky or greenish at all

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4762916...7626078595675/

ill try to get the pics updated sooner than later
Old 04-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #14
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Companies like whipple dont realize that incidents like this are where legendary reputations are built. Boooo for them.
RPM Level 7 4L80e + Coan Converter
Hendrix 9" Rear Axle + 3.50 Gear
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Fore Fuel System, Bogarts + Hoosier Slicks
Pfadt Drag Pack Suspension
My Build Thread | Best Pass To Date
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote