Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-05-2012, 06:36 AM   #211
Wvallediego

Drives: Inferno Orange 2010 RS SS
I wan this......The rims says camaro.....SWEET.
Attached Images

Wvallediego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #212
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Joe,

Your write up was outstanding....It reminded me of the day I took delivery of my SS almost 3 years ago and the feeling it brought out when I heard it roar to life....I knew then I would always own this "Car".

I am glad you were given this opportunity and it seems that the honor was well justified.

I look forward to meeting you at C5FIII.

John
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #213
dcplus14

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS/Hurst
Great write up. Well worth the read and makes me wish I had the funds for a ZL1. I am looking forward to the day I get to see one on the roads driving by!
[AAC DRL LED's, AAC LED's for trunk, cabin, license plate, CAI Intake, RX Catch Can, Skip shift eliminator, Pedders Sub-Frame Inserts, Pedders Radius Rod Inserts, Pedders Rack & Pinion Bushing, 1LE front and rear sway bars]
dcplus14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #214
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
I don't think that is possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvallediego View Post
I wan this......The rims says camaro.....SWEET.

They look even sweet-er (Is that a word?) in person!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
Joe,

Your write up was outstanding....It reminded me of the day I took delivery of my SS almost 3 years ago and the feeling it brought out when I heard it roar to life....I knew then I would always own this "Car".

I am glad you were given this opportunity and it seems that the honor was well justified.

I look forward to meeting you at C5FIII.

John
Definitely!!

See you at the Fest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcplus14 View Post
Great write up. Well worth the read and makes me wish I had the funds for a ZL1. I am looking forward to the day I get to see one on the roads driving by!
Thank you! They're quite a sight...the black wheels and low splitter/hood...well, heck - I guess the whole combination of exterior changes - they give the car such a racey look...I think it's *almost* exotic-looking...almost...
Old 03-06-2012, 12:44 AM   #215
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Very nice write up Dragoneye!
Thank you for sharing the DETAILS of your experience, you even included a height restriction when it comes to having a sunroof!

I'm new to this forum as I'm in the market to replace our Lexus isF, and I have been lurking on forums trying to decide which car will be next.
I've checked out the Dodge Challenger/Charger/ Ford Mustang Shelby GT500, and tonight I thought I'd check out Chevy's Camaro...am I glad I did!

I like the fact you included how the car behaves on the streets and rough surfaces where I plan on driving this car, since it will be a daily driver...I no longer believe in NOT driving a car to keep the mileage down...I'm at the age where I'd be pissed should I kick the bucket and put miles on an awesome car sitting in my garage!

I have a question regarding the auto trans...
How are the down shifts?
Does the trans blip when down shifting?
Will it allow you to down shift if road speed is too high? (I'd think not, but thought I'd ask anyway)
When up shifting, how crisp is it?
How bad is the delay...I believe you mentioned it being like a second, seems kind of long. I say this only because I'm comparing it to the isF 8spd auto trans, there is no stall/lag when up shifting, and it will blip when down shifting.

I'm stuck between getting a Manual or an Automatic. Traffic here in Hawaii is horrendous and driving a manual can get tiresome.
Which brings me to another question about the manual trans.
How hard is the clutch to depress? (the wife will have to drive this too)
How low/high does the clutch grab?
How long is the clutch throw from engagement to disengagement?

One last minor question and I hope I don't get ragged for it, but does the ZL1 have homelink for your garage door?

Thank you once again for such an awesome write up, you have swayed me big time towards obtaining a ZL1....in fact my sign on will be my vanity plate...at least I ordered that already. I wasn't even sure what the name of this forum was when I registered, all I knew is there's at least 1 Mod that knows how to do a write up.
It affords the members to soak in accurate information and aid in making a very well educated decision with whatever you may write about...be it a new model or a new mod for the new model.
I know there are other members that are knowledgeable as well, and I feel fortunate to be a member of this forum...believe me, this is not my first car forum, and some of the Euro marque car forums are not as informative...too many silly boys on them...
Good Job!
OVRKLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #216
steel insane

Drives: 2012 2LT Black (Vengeance)
Nice write up & great pics, especially on the details.

What did Camaro guys say about the Carbon Edition? Is it a go for 2013?
steel insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #217
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Very nice write up. I sure wish Dodge would do something like that for it's customers and enthusiasts.

Instead they encrypt their PCMs so 2011 and up Challenger and Chargers can't be modded LOL

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #218
DUGG

Drives: 2010 Imperial Blue Metallic 2LT
After 6 Camaro's / 72 SS, 73 RS, 85 Iroc-Z28, 87 Iroc-Z28, 98 Z28, and 2010 2LT -- maybe it's time to get the ultimate.....wow, great write-up on a great car......!!
DUGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #219
69 Rebel

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS Auto
Great write up Joe. You have a way with words.

2 questions: 1) The front spoiler and rear diffuser extend about 1/2 inch or so past the fenders. Giving it almost like a small mud guard look, if i can describe it like that.
What is the purpose of that? It was the only thing that looked off to me.

Is it possibly to transfer the air to the brakes for cooling?

2) In the close up picture of the rim i see a yellow line on the rim and a matching line on the tire. I am just curious as to why they did that.

We usually do that on our slicks at the drag strip to make sure the tire didn't spin on the rim during launch.

Can't wait for my ZL1 to get here. Hopefully they start up production SOON, the weather is getting warmer.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100385

Version II
416ci stroker/4L80e
701rwhp 750rwtq
build and tuned by
SPI-Performance
69 Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #220
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVRKLL View Post
Very nice write up Dragoneye!
Thank you for sharing the DETAILS of your experience, you even included a height restriction when it comes to having a sunroof!
Thank you!

I'm new to this forum as I'm in the market to replace our Lexus isF, and I have been lurking on forums trying to decide which car will be next.
I've checked out the Dodge Challenger/Charger/ Ford Mustang Shelby GT500, and tonight I thought I'd check out Chevy's Camaro...am I glad I did!

I like the fact you included how the car behaves on the streets and rough surfaces where I plan on driving this car, since it will be a daily driver...I no longer believe in NOT driving a car to keep the mileage down...I'm at the age where I'd be pissed should I kick the bucket and put miles on an awesome car sitting in my garage!
Amen, man!! I couldn't imagine not driving a car as often as possible...I suppose being up north provides extra incentive, though! One of the more impressive features of the ZL1, in my opinion is its road-manners. In many respects....it "knows" whether you're racing or not, and treats you accordingly.

I have a question regarding the auto trans...
How are the down shifts?
They are crisp, not quite as quick when using the paddles as upshifts - but very close.
Does the trans blip when down shifting?
A little bit. It's best to provide your own blip, though - to prevent upsetting the back end.
Will it allow you to down shift if road speed is too high? (I'd think not, but thought I'd ask anyway)
Not at all! In fact, I tried to down shift where I though it was appropriate, but it turns out the first gear is taller than I thought - so the DIC gave me a cute little "Shift Denied" message until I slowed down a bit more.
When up shifting, how crisp is it?
Very! I daresay that the time from pressing the paddle to the actual gear shift is similar to rowing a stick. The only difference is that in the auto you're waiting that half-second for the shift, versus in the manual where you're doing things to make it happen.
How bad is the delay...I believe you mentioned it being like a second, seems kind of long. I say this only because I'm comparing it to the isF 8spd auto trans, there is no stall/lag when up shifting, and it will blip when down shifting.
I haven't driven the lexus, so I can't compare for you. I felt much more involved with this auto than earlier Camaro automatics. It's faster, sharper, and almost as much fun to drive (imo) as the manual.

I'm stuck between getting a Manual or an Automatic. Traffic here in Hawaii is horrendous and driving a manual can get tiresome.
Which brings me to another question about the manual trans.
How hard is the clutch to depress? (the wife will have to drive this too)I thought it was about as firm as the Camaro SS, however it felt MUCH smoother, and engagement was soft and smooth. It was truly a pleasure to drive.
How low/high does the clutch grab?
You can roll from a stop from about the middle...but it doesn't feel as though it fully engages until you let it up a little higher than that. I believe that's due to the twin-disc clutch.
How long is the clutch throw from engagement to disengagement?I didn't measure. I don't drive a manual every day. In fact, I think my experience in a manual-transmission car can still be measured in some total HOURS. With that said - in about 5 miles on the street, I was comfortable with it, and I was banging out shifts around the track like I'd been doing it for years. That largely why I say it was a pleasure. Short throws, with a firm pedal and smooth engagement all come together to make the car feel like an extension of yourself. You never have to fight it to do what you want.

One last minor question and I hope I don't get ragged for it, but does the ZL1 have homelink for your garage door?
Yessir! It has ALL the standard equipment found on a 2LT or 2SS...with a few extra buttons and toys.

Thank you once again for such an awesome write up, you have swayed me big time towards obtaining a ZL1....in fact my sign on will be my vanity plate...at least I ordered that already. I wasn't even sure what the name of this forum was when I registered, all I knew is there's at least 1 Mod that knows how to do a write up.

It affords the members to soak in accurate information and aid in making a very well educated decision with whatever you may write about...be it a new model or a new mod for the new model.

I know there are other members that are knowledgeable as well, and I feel fortunate to be a member of this forum...believe me, this is not my first car forum, and some of the Euro marque car forums are not as informative...too many silly boys on them...
Good Job!
Thanks so much for your kind words, OVRKLL! If you choose to buy a ZL1, I promise you WON'T be disappointed! In fact...you may never want to get out of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel insane View Post
Nice write up & great pics, especially on the details.

What did Camaro guys say about the Carbon Edition? Is it a go for 2013?
They didn't say anything about the 2013...I heard that there will be ZL1-specific accessories available...but what those were, and when they'll be available remains a mystery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
Very nice write up. I sure wish Dodge would do something like that for it's customers and enthusiasts.

Instead they encrypt their PCMs so 2011 and up Challenger and Chargers can't be modded LOL
Sorry! I won't laugh...

It was a wonderful experience. I'm sure other makes love their work, too - but it's just astounding at how much pride team Camaro has in this car. You can tell they put everything they had and more into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUGG View Post
After 6 Camaro's / 72 SS, 73 RS, 85 Iroc-Z28, 87 Iroc-Z28, 98 Z28, and 2010 2LT -- maybe it's time to get the ultimate.....wow, great write-up on a great car......!!
You have an impressive Camaro resume!!

Now is as good a time as any!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Rebel View Post
Great write up Joe. You have a way with words.

2 questions: 1) The front spoiler and rear diffuser extend about 1/2 inch or so past the fenders. Giving it almost like a small mud guard look, if i can describe it like that.
What is the purpose of that? It was the only thing that looked off to me.If you're referring to the way the front and rear pieces "extend" past the sides of the front fascias (it's hard to tell what you mean without pictures)...that's because they meet with the front and rear deflectors in the wheel wells. Together these pieces direct air around the wheels/tires to improve airflow.

Is it possibly to transfer the air to the brakes for cooling?
The brakes, as seen in the undercarriage picture, have two sources of cooling, the directed intakes housed within the lower grille, and the "ramps" (best way I can describe them, since I forgot what they called them) on the underside of the front splitter.

2) In the close up picture of the rim i see a yellow line on the rim and a matching line on the tire. I am just curious as to why they did that.

We usually do that on our slicks at the drag strip to make sure the tire didn't spin on the rim during launch.
Some of the cars were not saleable Camaros...it's possible some of them saw testing duty earlier in their lives. This would make sense, unless they were marks from Goodyear....or something to do with mounting & balancing.

Can't wait for my ZL1 to get here. Hopefully they start up production SOON, the weather is getting warmer.
I have a tentative date set up to go pick mine up since I bought it out of state. It's in the "comfort zone", so as long as things go well, I could be driving around in my ZL1 exactly 5 weeks from today!
Old 03-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #221
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Thanks so much for your kind words, OVRKLL! If you choose to buy a ZL1, I promise you WON'T be disappointed! In fact...you may never want to get out of it!

They didn't say anything about the 2013...I heard that there will be ZL1-specific accessories available...but what those were, and when they'll be available remains a mystery.

Sorry! I won't laugh...

It was a wonderful experience. I'm sure other makes love their work, too - but it's just astounding at how much pride team Camaro has in this car. You can tell they put everything they had and more into it.

You have an impressive Camaro resume!!

Now is as good a time as any!

I have a tentative date set up to go pick mine up since I bought it out of state. It's in the "comfort zone", so as long as things go well, I could be driving around in my ZL1 exactly 5 weeks from today!

CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #222
69 Rebel

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS Auto
Maybe i am making to much out of it and they really are just mudguards

But here's a pic.
Attached Images