Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 08-13-2014, 04:30 PM   #29
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
A twin turbo system on your V6 should make it a driver's race against a stock SS with the advantage towards the TT V6. Throw bolt-ons at the SS and it will win convincingly. So I would say that if your goals are hp, tq, and fast 1/4 mile times, then trade up to the SS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
I think you mean the single turbo STS or the IPF supercharged V6s. The twin turbo V6s are making 450 RWHP and up...quite a bit more than a bolt-on SS.
Quote:
Over in the V6 section, the forced induction guys are running high 12s to low 13s. So how is that beating a modded SS when a stock SS is running high 12s to low 13s? Maybe I'm missing something here.
Ahhh, so I was correct. All the ones you are basing your opinion on have centrifugal superchargers.

All four twin turbo V6 on this site make more power with wider power bands than the supercharged ones.. Only one drag races, but you didn't include that one above. We are talking stock ZL1 power for the basic TTV6 kits (while still weighing less), not bolt-on SS power. If you really think a bolt-on SS will win convincingly against a stock ZL1, why don't you take your bolt-on SS to the strip and line up against a few? Post the timeslips and videos in the drag racing section so we can all see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytown87 View Post
I'm in for the answer to this one
See above^^^
Old 08-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #30
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
Racing them on the same track and at the same time. When your DA is well over 3000 and sometimes hits 5000 you really don't care what some negative DA person hits, care about what is ran at your track.

In November we will finally have DA near 1000 and I can see how my car stacks up against low DA racers. Summer time if the DA is low there is mildew all over the track.
This is one of the IPF supercharged guys on the FI V6 fast list. He's track is not at sea level like Bradenton, FL, or No Problem, LA. His track isn't open late in the season when the DA can drop below zero. Yet, with high DAs and no more power (and a narrower power band) than a stock SS he's running 13.1. What do you think he would run with 90 more RWHP and a broader power band? I'm going to go with high 11s.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:49 PM   #31
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
Racing them on the same track and at the same time. When your DA is well over 3000 and sometimes hits 5000 you really don't care what some negative DA person hits, care about what is ran at your track.

In November we will finally have DA near 1000 and I can see how my car stacks up against low DA racers. Summer time if the DA is low there is mildew all over the track.
Yes and that is an argument I use quite often. DA greatly affects performance. Which is why some people can say they run X time while others are faster/slower. But you can still correct those times. I always check the DA and correct my times when I go to the track. I don't say I ran the corrected time, I say the time I actually ran. But I always include what the DA is/was. If the DA is corrected, I still think the TT V6s are running with a stock SS.

Quote:
Ahhh, so I was correct. All the ones you are basing your opinion on have centrifugal superchargers.

All four twin turbo V6 on this site make more power with wider power bands than the supercharged ones.. Only one drag races, but you didn't include that one above. We are talking stock ZL1 power for the basic TTV6 kits (while still weighing less), not bolt-on SS power. If you really think a bolt-on SS will win convincingly against a stock ZL1, why don't you take your bolt-on SS to the strip and line up against a few? Post the timeslips and videos in the drag racing section so we can all see.

See above^^^
I go to the track all the time. I ran a best of 12.83 on an 80 degree day (I forget what the DA was but I corrected to a 12.2). I'm not talking about ZL1s, I'm talking about TT V6 Camaros. ANd to this day, I have not seen proof of one running that fast. I haven't even seen proof of them making 450+ RWHP. Now if you have that proof, then I would like to see it. I looked and I can't find it anywhere.

And because I can see the tone of this conversation starting to change I just wanna say that I'd like for this to remain civil and respectful. I have no intention or desire for this to become an argument or debate. I'm just making statements based of what I have seen and from what I know. I always acknowledge that I may be wrong in my thinking and I will gladly accept any information that proves me wrong. Thanks.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:51 PM   #32
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
This is one of the IPF supercharged guys on the FI V6 fast list. He's track is not at sea level like Bradenton, FL, or No Problem, LA. His track isn't open late in the season when the DA can drop below zero. Yet, with high DAs and no more power (and a narrower power band) than a stock SS he's running 13.1. What do you think he would run with 90 more RWHP and a broader power band? I'm going to go with high 11s.
And if you can show me one that has gone that fast then I will openly admit that I am wrong. I just haven't seen them. Of course, one isn't indicative of all TT V6 Camaros, but I'd still like to see where one has done a low 12 or high 11. I'm talking about an otherwise stock V6 with a TT.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #33
Desertion

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS Transformer Edition
Ouch, there's some band-aids in the first aid kit in my truck. I think you guys need it for your pride
Old 08-13-2014, 05:09 PM   #34
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Yes and that is an argument I use quite often. DA greatly affects performance. Which is why some people can say they run X time while others are faster/slower. But you can still correct those times. I always check the DA and correct my times when I go to the track. I don't say I ran the corrected time, I say the time I actually ran. But I always include what the DA is/was. If the DA is corrected, I still think the TT V6s are running with a stock SS.

I go to the track all the time. I ran a best of 12.83 on an 80 degree day (I forget what the DA was but I corrected to a 12.2). I'm not talking about ZL1s, I'm talking about TT V6 Camaros. ANd to this day, I have not seen proof of one running that fast. I haven't even seen proof of them making 450+ RWHP. Now if you have that proof, then I would like to see it. I looked and I can't find it anywhere.
How many stock ZL1s have you beat? You should post some slips/videos over in the drag racing threads. I can't seem to find you over there.

As I said in the post you quoted, except for me none of them drag race. Given the power to weight ratio of a stock ZL1 is worse than the cars I list below, it makes perfect sense that you should be able to take a stock ZL1 convincingly.

Quote:
And because I can see the tone of this conversation starting to change I just wanna say that I'd like for this to remain civil and respectful. I have no intention or desire for this to become an argument or debate. I'm just making statements based of what I have seen and from what I know. I always acknowledge that I may be wrong in my thinking and I will gladly accept any information that proves me wrong. Thanks.
You didn't look very hard. Here are the three members besides myself that have a TTV6, go look them up (although Can't_c_me doesn't post his results on this site much anymore so I follow him elsewhere).

HP Turbine (IPS Twin;A6) -- 460 RWHP/440 RWTQ; doesn't drag race
Skulka222 (IPS Twin;A6) -- 450 RWHP/4?? RWTQ (just got it last week).
Can't_c_me (Custom Twin;M6) -- 500 RWHP/460 RWTQ; doesn't drag race

Quote:
And if you can show me one that has gone that fast then I will openly admit that I am wrong. I just haven't seen them. Of course, one isn't indicative of all TT V6 Camaros, but I'd still like to see where one has done a low 12 or high 11. I'm talking about an otherwise stock V6 with a TT.
Again, as I said they don't drag race. I do, but I'm pretty sure you are going out of your way to not include me in your list. That's understandable, but at least do some real research and don't pull in Centrifugal superchagered V6s and pretend they are representative of TTV6s. An honest conversation is a respectful conversation.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:10 PM   #35
Desertion

Quote:

Do you not know Gretchen?
Old 08-13-2014, 05:13 PM   #36
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
Adding a turbo to the V6 will get you to stock SS power levels, but you still have a car that was built for a V6 (drivetrain, brakes, suspension).

With an SS you get the whole package for around the same money you would spend on the V6.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #37
Desertion

Where can I can get an SS with ~450RWHP stock
Old 08-13-2014, 05:19 PM   #38
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEMayhem View Post
Adding a turbo to the V6 will get you to stock SS power levels, but you still have a car that was built for a V6 (drivetrain, brakes, suspension).

With an SS you get the whole package for around the same money you would spend on the V6.
Wow! Do people just not read and do research anymore?

Refresher course
-----------------

TTV6 A6 -- 450+ RWHP
Stock SS A6 -- ~320 RWHP
Stock ZL1 A6 -- ~465 RWHP

Which of these things is not like the others?
Old 08-13-2014, 05:36 PM   #39
The Black Knight
2013 Black LFX

Drives: '13 1LS
Quote:
Wow! Do people just not read and do research anymore?

Refresher course
-----------------

TTV6 A6 -- 450+ RWHP
Stock SS A6 -- ~320 RWHP
Stock ZL1 A6 -- ~465 RWHP

Which of these things is not like the others?
I'm also seeing:
GretchenGotGrowl - 647RWHP & 726RWTQ

Oh yeah Gretchen, you're way off man. How can you compete?? You "ONLY" make "TWICE" the power of a stock SS. Apparently these guys know something the rest of us don't.

Mods: Flowmaster Series 10's axle back, Black ZL1 20X9 wheels(from Factory Reproductions), K&N Typhoon cold air intake, 20% window tint(all sides & back), gun metal hash marks, black outs for Camaro and Chevy badges, Vitesse Throttle Controller

The Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #40
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Trust me, I get this argument all the time on YouTube in my channel, especially the videos where I have me and my wife racing each other. Some can't believe that a Camaro V6 could keep up with a Mustang V6, and kept talking about how our times were slow. We were running mid to high 14's which corrected were low 14's, high 13's. This was before my Supercharger and her gears though, we used to be side by side all the way down the track, better reaction time won because we were within 0.05 seconds of each other.

Stock V6's usually run low 15's, Stock V8's high 13's if the driver is good (seen a few run low 14's). Modified V8's will run low 13's, once they get cams they can break into the 12's easily. This track is kind of depressing once you think about it, even the NHRA regional guys only run 5.4 @ 264 mph in October, when it is cooler. I've heard people say our track goes uphill a little bit. We also race into the wind, which in Oklahoma can be pretty high winds.

A Twin Turbo V6 will be faster than my Centrifugal Supercharger because I don't get the torque bump it will. My torque curve is pretty good past 5000 RPM's though, allowing me some good times on the back half of the track. If I can ever get the tuning issues fixed when my RPM is below 5000 RPM's I will be able to get some real good times.

I'm not really going to get into the cost-effectiveness of doing a twin turbo vs buying a V8. I've boosted my V6 to run with V8's and bought a V8 as a daily driver so I could have fun on my way to work. In the end it is up to the person to justify the cost to themselves. I'm glad I boosted my V6 though because it allowed me to gain a lot of knowledge about the process, something I can transfer over to my 5.0 when I start modding it.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #41
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Everyone is here comparing track times. I'm going to give reality, I'm at 501 rwhp at 12 PSI (my turbos handle 30 PSI) and I have a F@*ked tune. I can beat and have beat tuned CTS V's with video to show that some here have seen. So Lets aim higher I say, someone else will always be faster. If I was to hear of a modded SS or a modded V6 I'd go see the V6. The LS3 and L99 have been customized and raped a million kinds of ways that it's old and everyone is doing it. The V6 is just seeing the light.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:24 PM   #42
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
Quote:
Not for nothing but my 12.4 and many after have been during this summer heat with my best set on a 88° night so.....Im pretty sure I have room once it cools down to shave a few tenths off as well.

I get the argument you want to validate about V6ers being able to run times identical or barely less than bolt on SS cars and I am sure its possible. Good for those who have. But how much more money has it taken to even get to those times? 7k? 8k?

You asked how many bolt on SS have beat ZL1 and CTS-V cars. Ive taken a couple out before but so what? Asking who has beat one, as if they cant be beat, is like going into a "my car is faster than..." and you quote magazine times all day to validate your point.

Shout outs to all those with a V6 that have the money and have been able to make their cars something amazing. Give credit to all those deserving regardless of what type of Camaro they drive. Unfortunately there are so few of them out there to really help back the whole "my V6 forced induction can beat..." debate compared to bolt on SS cars. Hopefully more do come around
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.

Last edited by ytown87; 08-13-2014 at 07:36 PM.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote