Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 07-02-2010, 05:15 AM   #29
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
It is a shame that folks are paying a lot of hard earned money to do the right thing and wind up getting screwed. Hopefully Richmond will find another supplier in China that can produce something of better quality. If not, I could see a class action suit following. If I were a victim, I would expect a full refund or replacement including the labor to install. Nothing less.
Keep in mind that out of thousands of gear sets for the 2010 Camaro that are in cars there have only been a handful of failures, its not a widespread issue that everyone needs to stress about. Out of all of the 4.10s we have sold we have not had a customer have a failure. Richmond has been taking care of the people who have had an issue but they have to investigate on a case by case basis to determine if its their product, the install, or the owner that is responsible.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #30
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:

It is a shame that folks are paying a lot of hard earned money to do the right thing and wind up getting screwed. Hopefully Richmond will find another supplier in China that can produce something of better quality. If not, I could see a class action suit following. If I were a victim, I would expect a full refund or replacement including the labor to install. Nothing less.
Who said the gears are made in China? I have Richmond 4.10's and they ROCK.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:12 AM   #31
streetrace

Drives: a slow 2010
they say high performance gears right on the box..........
streetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #32
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
Well, I sent my gears back to them. A few weeks later, after contacting them myself, I was told nothing was wrong with my gears and that it was not their fault. So... I requested my gears be returned to me so I could have them tested myself and since they technically belonged to me, they had to either refund me or return my gears... they refunded me. Was there an issue they didnt want to fess up to ... in the end, i got my money so I dropped it and never bad mouthed Richmond. I do miss the 4.10s but noow that we have more failures, not sure I trust their product.

In Richmonds defense, I personally know of several high (over 500) horsepower camaros that have Richomond 4.10s with ZERO problems.
Hmm .. very interesting ..

Crowley
Old 07-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #33
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Keep in mind that out of thousands of gear sets for the 2010 Camaro that are in cars there have only been a handful of failures, its not a widespread issue that everyone needs to stress about. Out of all of the 4.10s we have sold we have not had a customer have a failure. Richmond has been taking care of the people who have had an issue but they have to investigate on a case by case basis to determine if its their product, the install, or the owner that is responsible.
I agree 100%... I do not think they produce bad gears as a whole BUT it seems maybe a few slipped though that were not properly made... I have no idea, I am not a metalurgist. I agree with Chase... a few failures in a few thousand installs, no need to get all up in arms. Assuming they refund the owners, whatever, it isnt a huge deal. I do not see a class action suit being filed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Hmm .. very interesting ..

Crowley
VERY!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:17 PM   #34
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post

Time will tell. Seems like a high % just in this thread who have had shearing issues.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:12 AM   #35
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Hopefully Richmond will find another supplier in China that can produce something of better quality.
They are not made in China, they are manufactured in Liberty, South Carolina.Liberty, So
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:42 AM   #36
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
Well, I sent my gears back to them. A few weeks later, after contacting them myself, I was told nothing was wrong with my gears and that it was not their fault. So... I requested my gears be returned to me so I could have them tested myself and since they technically belonged to me, they had to either refund me or return my gears... they refunded me. Was there an issue they didnt want to fess up to ... in the end, i got my money so I dropped it and never bad mouthed Richmond. I do miss the 4.10s but noow that we have more failures, not sure I trust their product.
After reading this trusting the gears is of less concern when the company is trying to weasle out of the warranty instead of refunding you without question. They made several excuses first and you had to force their hand, that is BS. They told you it was GM's fault because GM recommends 1.1QT of fluid, well it is up to Richmond to test their product and recommend more fluid, not send out new gears to some anxios customer and cross their fingers to see what happens. Then on top of it, they blame everyone but themselves.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #37
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
After reading this trusting the gears is of less concern when the company is trying to weasle out of the warranty instead of refunding you without question. They made several excuses first and you had to force their hand, that is BS. They told you it was GM's fault because GM recommends 1.1QT of fluid, well it is up to Richmond to test their product and recommend more fluid, not send out new gears to some anxios customer and cross their fingers to see what happens. Then on top of it, they blame everyone but themselves.
yea, I am the same way. my wife REFUSES to put Richomnds on any of our cars now b/c of how they weasled around. Shes the tough one when it comes to this type of stuff. If you get on her bad side as a company... you're done. She knows how bad I want the 4.10s but just won't crack. I have to give her credit for that. I almost got burned once and don't want to go through that again... The breaking gears and repair is no big deal, its the you have to go through to get the money back.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #38
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scourage View Post
This gear set did not break due to a manufacturing issue. We have not had any problems with these gear sets except for the one you are inquiring about and again it was not a manufacturing issue that caused the failure."
Then why did it break? What caused the failure?

-Funk
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:45 PM   #39
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyklr View Post
Then why did it break? What caused the failure?

-Funk
A unicorn's horn got tangled up and broke them. Or wait, maybe Zeus himself came down from the Heavens and crushed them with his bare hands

Honestly, no one could give me a reason why mine broke and I suppose we wont know why the OPs broke with 500 miles while he was driving on the steet. Mine did break at the track. My wife said the car took off like a rocket from the gate then just stopped. She didnt hear the snap form the stands. I was at about 360rwhp at the time (only a tune) and on stock tires. Didnt do a crazy launch and wheels didnt really spin so who knows what happened, no one can tell me. I don't really care either. As far as I am concerned, its case closed.

Moments prior to the incident:

Old 07-03-2010, 11:24 PM   #40
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

4.33 would be nice! This is the first I have heard of that. There was some talk about maybe producing 4.30s. Hopefully Moser will get on it...
Old 07-04-2010, 01:20 AM   #41
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue9 View Post
I guess Ill wait and see for the new 4:33's. There making them I heard?
they are already being made:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92483
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:25 AM   #42
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post

Great news and hope that all the n/a LS3's will use them.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote