Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / PA

Old 11-02-2017, 12:06 PM   #25201
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler NY View Post
Would that be "V1LE JACK"?

Actually maybe jack goff would be fitting
Old 11-02-2017, 05:00 PM   #25202
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post

Actually maybe jack goff would be fitting
Would that be Included with a Driver & putter.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:16 PM   #25203
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike III View Post
Would that be Included with a Driver & putter.
Lol, wut?
Old 11-03-2017, 08:30 AM   #25204
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
We looked into this in 2010. Get out those piggy banks, boys.
Attachment 904828
DAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYUUUUUUUUUUMMMM! So, maybe not...
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:43 AM   #25205
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
We would need a minimum of 33 people at $250/ea to cover the cost of a weekday instructional rental. Or 28 people at $300/ea. If we got at least 40-42 people interested in paying that, I could use the CamaroFest group to sponsor the event, broker the deal, and cover insurance, etc...

As an alternative, we could coordinate a group-buy of tickets with one of the local clubs. It would likely be more expensive, but they'll also have instructors available. We've done similar stuff before with Gingerman in Michigan, and I'd be happy to help on the coordination.

I'm in if you guys are - I want to go to Watkins Glen for a track day this summer. I know Rich frequents the track with the BMW club. We could get a group together and invade!
Old 11-03-2017, 09:09 AM   #25206
stmbtwilli

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 2SS
Just my two cents. I've had great HPDE days at the Glen and at NCM Motorsports Park with Hooked on Driving. For what you get, the price is quite reasonable. Not only are you able to learn how to drive from some great instructors but you will probably get more time on the track than you can handle, or that your tires can handle.

If anyone is really interested in racing their car, get to Bowling Green for CamaroFest, if it is held there next year. Three days of all the autocross, drag racing and track running that you could want.
Am I wrong, Mr W.?
Old 11-03-2017, 09:24 AM   #25207
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmbtwilli View Post
Just my two cents. I've had great HPDE days at the Glen and at NCM Motorsports Park with Hooked on Driving. For what you get, the price is quite reasonable. Not only are you able to learn how to drive from some great instructors but you will probably get more time on the track than you can handle, or that your tires can handle.

If anyone is really interested in racing their car, get to Bowling Green for CamaroFest, if it is held there next year. Three days of all the autocross, drag racing and track running that you could want.
Am I wrong, Mr W.?
Not at all....for someone who wants to race but isn't sure which type they like Best....the Camaro Fest offers all three in a safe, controlled environment.

And....Hooked on Driving is VERY good. I'd prefer to get out to WG with them, if I had a choice.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:44 AM   #25208
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
We would need a minimum of 33 people at $250/ea to cover the cost of a weekday instructional rental. Or 28 people at $300/ea. If we got at least 40-42 people interested in paying that, I could use the CamaroFest group to sponsor the event, broker the deal, and cover insurance, etc...

As an alternative, we could coordinate a group-buy of tickets with one of the local clubs. It would likely be more expensive, but they'll also have instructors available. We've done similar stuff before with Gingerman in Michigan, and I'd be happy to help on the coordination.

I'm in if you guys are - I want to go to Watkins Glen for a track day this summer. I know Rich frequents the track with the BMW club. We could get a group together and invade!
Thanks Joe, sounds awesome. But it was my understanding that you have to rent the track for 2 days during the week and for 3 days on the weekend. But if we can do it for one day that would certainly work better. I can check on that. Also, those prices are from 2010. Can't imagine they've gotten cheaper. If doable and you want to set it up we can see who's interested. Might be a good idea to create a thread in the section as well.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:55 AM   #25209
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Ok, rental is typically 2 days, but they have occasions where you can rent for one day. i.e, when a race team wants to rent for only one day, they will make the other day available. He's going to get me a current price but the list of available dates won't be ready until around the first of the year. So, who's in?

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:33 PM   #25210
Tim_Hamilton

Drives: 2010 2SS RS, '14 Silverado
I'd love to!
Old 11-03-2017, 06:19 PM   #25211
TonyNDeb

Drives: Candy
Not dead, just traveling way too much. Just got back from San Diego, and I'm back there next week and the week after that.
TonyNDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:14 PM   #25212
Flashpoint135

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
Ok, rental is typically 2 days, but they have occasions where you can rent for one day. i.e, when a race team wants to rent for only one day, they will make the other day available. He's going to get me a current price but the list of available dates won't be ready until around the first of the year. So, who's in?
I can't commit to anything until I get a job, but once I do I'd be very interested!
Old 11-03-2017, 10:00 PM   #25213
td195f

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

WGI only does two day weekday or three day weekend rentals, except as noted above, and most likely next years schedule is already full or close to it. There are not a lot of existing groups that give up there slots at WGI. Those 2010 track rentals rates are way out of date. The prices went way up after the resurface.

The last HOD event at WGI we had 5 Z/28s, first time I'd seen another one on track, and several other 5th and 6th Gen Camaros. The HOD event was disorganized and not well run, in my opinion. I also think they let people run solo to soon. Having an instructor in the car teaching you how to drive a track at speed is a good thing. You can get in a lot of trouble really fast at 100+ mph. Running the track without a pace car is a different deal. The paced laps severely limit your speed up thru the esses and in the corners. The esses can be a really hairy ride at over 100 mph.

HOD costs several hundred dollars more for an event than the BMW or Porsche club events. BMW club will be about $500 for two days next year and the only additional thing I got from HOD was hot dogs and hamburgers on Saturday night. Track time was the same. Four sessions on track of 20 or 25 minutes each day. The only up side of HOD a couple of weeks ago was the chance to work with Ross Bentley but that was not included in the base price and was more $$$, but based on his feedback I cut my best lap time by 3 seconds.

The BMW Club is a non-profit. They are charging what it costs to run the event and even instructors have to pay a fee for there track time. HOD is a for profit. They are in it to make money and I kind of got that vibe from them. HOD severely overbooked some of the days. On Friday we had over 50 cars on track in the advanced group and they all didn't belong in Advanced.

For those of you who want to do a real track event figure the real cost for a two day event will be >$1000 when you figure in the two day school cost, two nights lodging, food, fuel and track insurance for your car for the event. You can go without track insurance, but if you wreck your car, and it does happen, your regular auto insurance will most likely not cover anything that happens on the grounds at WGI. That also includes something that happens during the paced laps you do now. FYI, track insurance is only available during recognized instructional events.

If...you managed to rent the track for a day, you will have no instructors without some group like HOD coordinating the event and providing instructors and that means no insurance for your car. Any incident on track would be at your own risk with no coverage if something goes wrong. FYI, if you oil the track you will get a cleanup bill from the track. If you damage the track surface or the guardrail, you will get a bill for repair.

At Camarofest, HOD didn't have enough instructors and did lead/follow with novice drivers and everyone else was on there own. In my opinion this is not the right way to run an event. Novice drivers need in car instruction. No offense to anyone intended but if you got the track for a day count me out. I have no desire to be out on track at speed with a bunch of drivers that really don't have a clue. Sorry if anybody feels insulted by this but that's how I feel. I need to have some amount of trust in the people around me when you're running at racetrack speeds. The organized groups I run with have very strict rules on passing and they use the corner workers to enforce these rules.

Sorry to be the wet blanket on this. I've done a lot of track days at multiple tracks and this is not a cheap deal. If you want cheap go to the dragstrip.
2015 Z/28 #786 - Black
2004 Silverado 3500 Dually - D'Max - Suncoast - Banks - Edge - Custom Tune by D'Max Tuner / Spitzer '32 Bantam Altered Drag Car - Blown Alcohol 380 CI Small Block Chevy

Last edited by td195f; 11-03-2017 at 10:44 PM. Reason: edit
td195f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:12 AM   #25214
TonyNDeb

Drives: Candy
Off of the current topic, but suggestions for an indoor car cover? Last year my hood got scratched, so trying to not let that happen this year.
TonyNDeb is offline   Reply With Quote