Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-27-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Those with Go Pro or Sony Action Cam... step inside please

Okay... so I picked up this Sony Action Cam over the weekend. Best buy had it for $105, so I could not pass it up. Anyways it got me to thinking. When I start attaching this to my car in spring time how good do these suction cup attachments work. Can anyone shine some light on this for me? My first thought is what if it comes during high speeds. Ya… I lose the camera, but I could also damage my car if it comes off and hits a body panel. I guess the real question I am looking for is how good do they attach to the car whether it be the glass or a body panel? I have not purchased the attachment yet. Is there a specific brand that is better than the other when it comes to these attachment?
Thanks guys

Here's the one I got:
Old 01-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
jvoisel

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
I have a GoPro, and use the suction cup mount all the time.. usually on the side of the front fender. I made a tether cord for it.. It may scratch the car if it comes off, but I have damn near $500 into the camera, so I'd rather not lose it. That being said, it's been down the track multiple times and 145mph+ a few times too, hasn't come off yet.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
newagemuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvoisel View Post
I have a GoPro, and use the suction cup mount all the time.. usually on the side of the front fender. I made a tether cord for it.. It may scratch the car if it comes off, but I have damn near $500 into the camera, so I'd rather not lose it. That being said, it's been down the track multiple times and 145mph+ a few times too, hasn't come off yet.
I thought about doing a tether also, but when it comes to the price of repairing body work when the thing starts slamming against my car I think I would rather let it fall onto the street.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
jvoisel

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemuscle View Post
I thought about doing a tether also, but when it comes to the price of repairing body work when the thing starts slamming against my car I think I would rather let it fall onto the street.
Agree. But at $399 for the camera, $49 for extra battery, $39 for suction cup, $30 for sd card, I'll take my chances lol. No clue on how good the Sony suction cups are but at $105 for the camera I may have to get one.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:35 PM   #5
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
I have the GoPro Hero 3 Black. I have attached it to all different parts of the car with no problems. These things run on racecars all the time. As long as the surface you're attaching to is clean and flat, all should stay put.

I would not recommend a tether. I would just as soon lose a $500 camera than pay $1000 for body/paint work.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:36 PM   #6
newagemuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvoisel View Post
Agree. But at $399 for the camera, $49 for extra battery, $39 for suction cup, $30 for sd card, I'll take my chances lol. No clue on how good the Sony suction cups are but at $105 for the camera I may have to get one.
It lists for $200. This is Sonys lower end model probably comparible to go pros lower model. Its done reallty good in all the tests I have seen vs the Go Pro. The Go Pro was actually what I intended on getting, but at this price I could not pass it up. What happended is the sales girl went to price match it with Amazon and she saw it listed for $105 so she price matched it. It was not until I got home that I saw when you added it to your Amazon cart for purchase it was more. She was looking at the price if you signed up for the Amazon Visa too. I hope she did not get in trouble because I bought two of them at that price.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
newagemuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
I have the GoPro Hero 3 Black. I have attached it to all different parts of the car with no problems. These things run on racecars all the time. As long as the surface you're attaching to is clean and flat, all should stay put.

I would not recommend a tether. I would just as soon lose a $500 camera than pay $1000 for body/paint work.
Thats good to know. I will have to just find a good mount know. I can't wait to test it out on a real car other than my RC car. As for the tether... I tend to agree. Body work will well exceed the price of my camera.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #8
ROD_SS

Drives: 2013 1SS Camaro and a truck
I have the GoPro 3 with the suction mount. Had it attached to different parts of the car. No issues.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #9
SSICKO

Drives: SSICKO
i had the newest go pro and it was great until I plugged it into my computer for the third time and it crashed my computer...all I did was simply plug it in and the computer go destroyed...then I returned it because I didn't want to deal with that again... just my experience.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:13 PM   #10
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
The Sony looks nice, I also hear the JVC Axxion2 is a good option as well. It also has an integrated LED screen.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #11
Aero_Sport_Concepts
aerosportconcepts@gmail

Drives: '15 1SS-RS/1LE (RRM)
Have a GoPro Hero3 also with suction mount. Have had it on multiple ways all over the car and never had a issue. Was worried about it at first too but after a couple runs at 100mph ++ you tend to trust it after that.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #12
kissmyss03

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 2SS/RS
i put mine right on my hood and drive to woodward and back with no issues.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:25 PM   #13
newagemuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissmyss03 View Post
i put mine right on my hood and drive to woodward and back with no issues.

Good idea... this the closest I've come to mounting it on the front of my car.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #14
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemuscle View Post
Good idea... this the closest I've come to mounting it on the front of my car.

Nice video, when my car was down 10 months waiting on my race motor i was big into the Traxxas Slash 4x4s.

I pulled em out of the closets and began modding the crap out of em. Big Monster 2200kv and 2650 kv motors and speed controllers. UPgraded the entire drivelines and suspensions. Built ramps for them. Custom painted different bodies. Adorned them with LED lights.

It was fun and kept my mind off my car. Also quite a bit cheaper to mod. Well, they are back in the closets for the last year since the new setup on the camaro is in.
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote