Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 12-28-2016, 10:00 PM   #1
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
Engine internals question

I'm putting a TSP stage 3 cam and ported heads on my 15 1LE. I already have LTs a CAI running through factory NPP. My question is with the upped power, would t-bar lifters and roller rockers be beneficial or am I throwing money at a problem that will probably never happen. I do a few HPDE events a year and 6-8 auto-x events a year. The car is my DD, I will be doing all the work minus the tune myself. Thanks for the help guys.

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals.
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:02 PM   #2
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman09 View Post
I'm putting a TSP stage 3 cam and ported heads on my 15 1LE. I already have LTs a CAI running through factory NPP. My question is with the upped power, would t-bar lifters and roller rockers be beneficial or am I throwing money at a problem that will probably never happen. I do a few HPDE events a year and 6-8 auto-x events a year. The car is my DD, I will be doing all the work minus the tune myself. Thanks for the help guys.

Ask TSP what is best with their stage 3 cam , they have been there and done that and know what works .
Old 12-29-2016, 07:27 PM   #3
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
Ask TSP what is best with their stage 3 cam , they have been there and done that and know what works .
Did that, guess they haven't returned from holidays yet. Was hoping to maybe hear from people who have done it here

Old 12-30-2016, 08:04 AM   #4
Joseph1LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2001 Camaro SS
Run oem lifters and rockers. No need to spend any more money.

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
2001 Camaro SS SOM M6- sold
1999 Firebird Formula A4- sold
Joseph1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:16 AM   #5
Kendall421

Drives: 1969 Z28, 1982 Z28, 2014 SS/RS/1LE
Quote:

I went with a BTR Stage 3 cam in a kit from JDP and I highly recommend using everything in a kit like that. I'm not telling you to use BTR cam, the TSP is nice. I'm just saying the parts in the kit made sense. Lingenfelter Performance installed mine and tuned it. They said the kit was awesome and nothing else needed. Kit included the cam, Melling HV oil pump, new upper timeng gear for 3 hole cam, high perf timimg chain, roller bearing trunion upgrade, and high performance one pc push rods. I solo crossed mine a few times this past summer and I was up against the rev.limiter a fair amount. No problems.

Good luck with the install. Thought about doing my own as well, but decided against it. Was only without the car for a week and I know its right.
Kendall421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:12 PM   #6
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Yeah I was looking at kits, but then some stuff came up at deals too good to pass up. I would pay to have it done, but I can't afford that. Thanks for the input guys.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:26 AM   #7
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
but I can't afford that.

Cut corners and in the end... You will just be paying more for repairs.

Stage III cam usually has higher lift than stock and requires better springs than stock. Also more than likely will need new rods. Though if you want to forgo it then its a chance you take and if your going to take the car to track events running at the higher rpms with stock springs you're just asking for it. You can cheap out on headers and CAI, but when messing with internals at least be smart a know what your getting into.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:34 AM   #8
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ir0nM4n View Post
Cut corners and in the end... You will just be paying more for repairs.

Stage III cam usually has higher lift than stock and requires better springs than stock. Also more than likely will need new rods. Though if you want to forgo it then its a chance you take and if your going to take the car to track events running at the higher rpms with stock springs you're just asking for it. You can cheap out on headers and CAI, but when messing with internals at least be smart a know what your getting into.
Oh trust me all of that is getting replaced. The only thing I had questions about getting replaced (read only things being left stock) would be lifters and rockers (rockers would at minimum get a trunion upgrade).

Old 01-01-2017, 05:27 PM   #9
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Oh trust me all of that is getting replaced. The only thing I had questions about getting replaced (read only things being left stock) would be lifters and rockers (rockers would at minimum get a trunion upgrade).

Nice.