Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-12-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Post GM takes action to ensure production Camaro matches concept closely.

General Motors has gone the extra mile to ensure the production 2009 Chevrolet Camaro is as close to the concept version as possible. Rather than using the exact same Zeta platform as the Holden Commodore and Pontiac G8, GM made the front axle centerline on the Camaro about 50mm further forward than on the two sedans, according to Motor Trend.

The expensive change was made to allow the Camaro and Impala to fit 20-inch wheels without compromising steering lock and turning radius. A Holden source told the magazine the car could even fit 24-inch wheels without issue, although that's not likely to actually happen.

At the Detroit auto show, GM officials again insisted the production Camaro would be very close to the concept; nearly identical, they say. According to the Motor Trend sources, the only visual differences will be a roofline about 3/5ths of an inch higher than concept, and an overall width reduction of about a third of an inch.

In terms of MSRP, GM sources told the magazine a V6 model will retail from $21,000. It will feature a 3.9-liter powerplant with a six speed automatic or manual. It promises to be considerably smoother than the truck-like 4.0-liter V6 under the hood of the base Mustang.
Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:40 PM   #2
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
Interesting expense.
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:45 PM   #3
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
I hope that applies to the exterior only. I am still hoping the interior gets a serious renovation. If the interior does not get any major modifications I will have to think twice about it....
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
Zyreal
Long Arm

Drives: Dodge Neon
I hope that applies to the interior and exterior, or at least offer a "Concept Edition" where I can get the interior the same. Replace the orange with black with the light glow being navy blue.

I love the climate controls, the unique style of CD player, and the WONDERFUL console(Metal shifter+Gauges).

- Z
Zyreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:07 PM   #5
rray200

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I wonder about those exhaust tips on the concept. Perhaps people on this board who have seen the concept in person will know better, but they look HUGE. They really give the car a kick ass look from the rear. Will they keep those exhaust tips, or go with the small, thin, dual exhaust tips we see in 4th gen LS1s and the Mustang? I hope they keep the big exhaust pipes in the production car. They're pure bad ass!
rray200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:39 PM   #6
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
The v6 will retail from 21k, anyone got projections for the sport v6 and the v8? What was the retail price diff in the 4th gens?
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 01:35 PM   #7
FTI-EDC
The stick man

Drives: 2004 GTO - C5 'vert - SRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tran View Post
In terms of MSRP, GM sources told the magazine a V6 model will retail from $21,000. It will feature a 3.9-liter powerplant with a six speed automatic or manual. It promises to be considerably smoother than the truck-like 4.0-liter V6 under the hood of the base Mustang.

I hope GM listens to the roar that the Ford V6 makes in 60%+ of the Mustangs sold out there. So many of these "secretary" cars make up the production (and profit) for Mustang, that GM needs to pay attention to basic salesmanship and marketing!

Now I do LOVE my monster HP V8's and the whole SS/Z28 package but without volume, this car just ain't gonna have a chance of survival!

Ed C

PONY WARS

FTI-EDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:47 PM   #8
Camaro_Man_101

Drives: dont have one
this whole car is bad ass its______ amazing the exterior everything i dont want them to change it at all but then again im not the one who controls it all so yea
Camaro_Man_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:18 PM   #9
ChevyNut

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Black on Black
When the Coupe came out i could not stand the orange metal strip in the interior however I love the white strip in the vert If you are able to chose the color of that strip im sold. and I like the rims on the vert better that the coupe concept.
ChevyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:40 PM   #10
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyNut View Post
When the Coupe came out i could not stand the orange metal strip in the interior however I love the white strip in the vert If you are able to chose the color of that strip im sold. and I like the rims on the vert better that the coupe concept.
Yeah...that orange strip was getting on my nerves as well. I think that new interior is 100% better.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:46 PM   #11
nitrokid

Drives: 69 Camaro RS/Z28
I'm still hoping the 2009 production Camaro will look closer to the original 69 Camaro,like Chrysler did with the Challenger.
The Concept version is still a nice looking design,but i still see alot of "far-out' ideas incorporated in the concept version.

Let's take the "rear end" of the car for example...looks like a Corvette to me ,along with that,I can't help but to mention that "Grille section",which in my opion needs to be enlarged to compensate for that huge lookin front bumper.

So far,The Challenger is where my money is gonna be spent,untill GM makes some major modifications,and brings the new camaro in line with what Chrysler has done with the Challenger in it's likeness of the original,The Camaro will be a afterthought in my mind

I don't mean to be opinioated here,but i am just expressing my discontent with what i have seen so far,and seriously hope that changes will be made to the Concept Camaro,cause as i see it right now,...it's just not good enough for me.
nitrokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:03 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
what your describing is purely retro sounding to me...GM never intended for the Camaro to be a pure retro car like the Challenger, but a modern interpretation of what the 69 would look like now.

and don't count on any "major modifications", (first of all, I love it the way it is), second; word has already been given about measurement changes-essentially the concept exterior IS the production exterior. See the "I can't tell a difference/Ed Peper" thread for more info
Old 03-09-2007, 08:05 PM   #13
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrokid View Post
I'm still hoping the 2009 production Camaro will look closer to the original 69 Camaro,like Chrysler did with the Challenger.
The Concept version is still a nice looking design,but i still see alot of "far-out' ideas incorporated in the concept version.
I think a more accurate statement would be "what Chrystler didn't do to the Challenger... "

I would LOVE to have been on that design team....

- So Bill, whatcha think we should do here?
- I got an idea, lets just make a complete replica of the 70's Challenger that way we don't have to do any work!
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:07 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Exactly-at least GM is trying some originality, and LET ME TELL YOU it has definitely paid off!

This is why GM is number one and chrysler and ford are just second best... ------