Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-23-2009, 12:49 PM   #43
Icewinds

Drives: Mitsu' Eclipse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
the fact remains sra can perform well on a track. inferior, archaic or whatever other cliched terms used to describe a live axel setup are inaccurate. the recent comparisons should prove that, with the mustang performing just as well on the track as the IRS camaro and beating the IRS challenger.

but i guess old stereotypes die hard
One is only left to wonder, why this awesome and cheap technology is not currently utilized in more than three race cars.
Icewinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:53 PM   #44
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Having IRS doesn't automatically make the camaro better than the mustang. But it does make the camaro better than it would be with SRA.

There are so many contributors to the perfomance of these cars. Obviously weight is a huge benefit to the mustang and hurts the camaro and to a larger degree the challenger.

I do think the SRT didn't really get a fair shake... But, I think it is noteworthy that it would take an SRT 8 to compete with the others. Just like it would take a GT500 to beat the others.

Just my thoughts...

The bottome line for me, a camaro fan, is that it competes and for the price is a good buy.

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:57 PM   #45
Cyberfan

Drives: 08 Z06 Vette; 02 T/A Firehawk
[QUOTE=Italianwhiplash;357500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
OHC's take up more space than cam in block designs. So the engine itself tends to be larger, regardless of its displacement.

Well since the average buyer goes by price it seems a pretty reasonable way to compare for me. If I have an out the door budget of $40 000, including tax, title, license, etc the GT500 and SRT8 are beyond my reach. The R/T, GT, and SS aren't.

It really depends on which r/t you want. You can easily kick the r/t challenger to 40,000.00.(r/t classic, r/t RTJ package, and all the bells and whistles) I bought my srt-8 fully loaded for about 38,000.00 including taxes and all the mumbo jumbo. My camaro will be about 40,000.00+ So comparing it, to an srt-8 wouldn't really be out of the price range.
Yeah I heard that they are discounting the Challengers now. Sounds like you got a good deal for a loaded SRT-8. Hopefully they will do the same with the Camaros after they are out a little while.
Cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #46
Italianwhiplash

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger r/t
I Heard some places are already, Check the pricing area of the forums.
2009 Hemi Orange Dodge Challenger SRT-8 - 6 speed, Headers, exhaust, Super Charged,SMS Supercharger, 4.10 gears, stage 5 transmission, duel clutch, and the beast under the hood A 440 CI 7.2 LITER HEMI
On order victory Red 2ss RS Camaro, Parts already received ARH Headers, SLP loud Mouth I exhaust, waiting for Vortech SuperCharger.
Italianwhiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #47
RT21
Sage of Thread Killing

Drives: IBM Tumbler
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
I love that review! "Do want to fondle the door panels, or kick ass, sissy?"
Close enough. See my sig: (just pointing, not dissing)

"It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Silver Streak: This car is screaming Camaro all the way through. If you are still complaining about the Camaro, you need to re-evaluate!
Edmunds: "You want to kick ass, or fondle the door panels, sissy?" LOL!!!
Blur: You need to develop your own level of badassery before handling a car with so much badass content.
pinkcamaro10: "gained the faith back" Thanks guys! "Patiently" waiting thanks to all the pink milk people!
http://camaro5rt.mybrute.com
RT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #48
Italianwhiplash

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger r/t
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
Having IRS doesn't automatically make the camaro better than the mustang. But it does make the camaro better than it would be with SRA.

There are so many contributors to the perfomance of these cars. Obviously weight is a huge benefit to the mustang and hurts the camaro and to a larger degree the challenger.

I do think the SRT didn't really get a fair shake... But, I think it is noteworthy that it would take an SRT 8 to compete with the others. Just like it would take a GT500 to beat the others.

Just my thoughts...

The bottome line for me, a camaro fan, is that it competes and for the price is a good buy.

they are pretty quick, only mustangs ill take is the name Shelby before it
2009 Hemi Orange Dodge Challenger SRT-8 - 6 speed, Headers, exhaust, Super Charged,SMS Supercharger, 4.10 gears, stage 5 transmission, duel clutch, and the beast under the hood A 440 CI 7.2 LITER HEMI
On order victory Red 2ss RS Camaro, Parts already received ARH Headers, SLP loud Mouth I exhaust, waiting for Vortech SuperCharger.
Italianwhiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:21 PM   #49
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewinds View Post
One is only left to wonder, why this awesome and cheap technology is not currently utilized in more than three race cars.
who really cares as long as it performs right?
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #50
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
the fact remains sra can perform well on a track. inferior, archaic or whatever other cliched terms used to describe a live axel setup are inaccurate. the recent comparisons should prove that, with the mustang performing just as well on the track as the IRS camaro and beating the IRS challenger.

but i guess old stereotypes die hard
I am incredibly impressed with the numbers the Mustang put out. On a track -- it's every bit the Camaro's rival around the corners...and I did not expect that. Very cool!! It seems like the live axle is to Ford, what pushrods are to GM.

I have to wonder, though...if the live axle design isn't maxed-out, or very close to it? It took a specially engineered, extra-cost "track-pack" modification to do all that. Without the package, I imagine the Mustang would have been keeping the Challenger company in this comparison...

EDIT: It's intoxicating to think of what the Camaro could do with $1400 (cost of the Ford's "track pack") worth of Pedder's upgrades.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #51
Icewinds

Drives: Mitsu' Eclipse
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
who really cares as long as it performs right?
Only someone who would like it to perform better.
Icewinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #52
KoTToN

Drives: 2005 SilveradoSS AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I am incredibly impressed with the numbers the Mustang put out. On a track -- it's every bit the Camaro's rival around the corners...and I did not expect that. Very cool!! (just don't go over a Pot hole, or we'll be giving you a ride home. )

I have to wonder, though...if the live axle design isn't maxed-out, or very close to it? It took a specially engineered "track-pack" modification to do all that. Without the package, I imagine the Mustang would have been keeping the Challenger company in this comparison...
I totally agree with you. What happens if in the next couple of years they compare the Camaro and Challanger track packs to the mustang with its track pack?
KoTToN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #53
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
have you seen a 4.6??
Dude...who cares what it looks like...measurements don't lie...376 cu in./6.2 l. is > than ~280+ cu in./4.6 l.

I must be missing something...

Last edited by Edrock; 03-24-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Edrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #54
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrock View Post
Dude...who cares what it looks like...measurements don't lie...376 cu in./6.2 litre is > than ~280+ cu in./4.6 cu in.

I must be missing something...
The Mustang's engine is dimensionally bigger than the Camaro's. Those dual-overhead cams take up lotsa space.

That's what he was referring to when he replied to the "little engine" comment in the first place.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #55
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewinds View Post
Hmmmm...one might also wonder why both GM and Chrysler have taken tax money to keep them afloat whereas Ford has not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I am incredibly impressed with the numbers the Mustang put out. On a track -- it's every bit the Camaro's rival around the corners...and I did not expect that. Very cool!! It seems like the live axle is to Ford, what pushrods are to GM.

I have to wonder, though...if the live axle design isn't maxed-out, or very close to it? It took a specially engineered, extra-cost "track-pack" modification to do all that. Without the package, I imagine the Mustang would have been keeping the Challenger company in this comparison...

EDIT: It's intoxicating to think of what the Camaro could do with $1400 (cost of the Ford's "track pack") worth of Pedder's upgrades.
The track pack for the Mustang is simply an option, just like the many options that can be ordered on the Camaro. You also have to understand that adding the track pack as an option did not require any real development or production costs for Ford, as what they are using is already the standard suspension on the Shelby GT with a few parts brought over from the GT500.

I, too, want to see some of the numbers put down by a "Pedderized" Camaro.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #56
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Italianwhiplash, Cyberfan, I was going by MSRP. And while its possible to get an SS up past 40k, a bare bones 1SS will be be several thousand less than that. As would a Challenger R/T and a Mustang GT with Track Pack. Until other options start getting added, those 3 cars will cost almost the same amount.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote