Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
mpiper

Drives: 2011 Black 1LT RS
Panther: anyone heard about this?

Just ran across a reference to: "Panthers prey on Mustangs" on another site. The suggestion was an announcement was coming about a Panther Camaro.

Anyone know anything?

Maybe Z-28 time?
Old 01-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
CUPRA

Drives: '21 Bronco OBX/'18 Jeep GC Altitude
If I remember correctly, back in the day, Panther was one of the names considered before Camaro. I haven't heard anything about a 'Panther Camaro' tho.
Built: 11/18/22
VIN received: 11/19/22
On a Train: 02/27/23
ETA: TBD

2023 Camaro 2SS Convertible/M6/Shadow Grey Metallic/Adrenaline Red Interior/Carbon Flash Wheels/NPP
Old 01-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
Correct, Panther was going to be the original name of the Chevrolet Camaro's answer to the Mustang!
And the rest is history! Thank God they didn't call it the Panther like they were leaning towards!

I believe i read (Scott Settlemire) FBodfather had an article to something of this, i will try to find it and post it here!
Old 01-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

got it, i knew i read it somewhere on the internet:

Quote:
The day the Panther Died………
June 28, 1966 was a day of firsts.
It was a day where 200 journalists were inducted into SEPAW (more about that in a minute)
That day, the first and LAST meeting of SEPAW took place.
It was the first time in history that 14 cities were hooked up ‘real time’ for a press conference via
telephone lines. (Something that seems so very simple today, but so very complicated back
then……)
And it was the first time that the world found out that a new Chevrolet would be called “Camaro”
– rather than “Panther.”

On June 21, 1966, approximately 200 journalists from around North America received the
following Telegram:
“……….Please save noon of June 28 for important SEPAW meeting. Hope you can be on hand
to help scratch a cat. Details will follow……………….(signed) John L. Cutter – Chevrolet Public
Relations – SEPAW Secretary.”
……….as you can imagine, there were many befuddled looks upon receiving such a telegram.
The next day, (June 22) – the same journalists received this telegram:
“………..Society for the Eradication of Panthers from the Automotive World will hold first and last
meeting on June 28. (Insert city here) chapter will meet at (insert hotel name here) and join
national 14 city telephone hookup with meeting in Detroit at which national president E. M. Estes
will preside. Please telephone acceptance to Frank Faraone, (Telephone # ) Delaware 7-
4601……….. (signed) John L. Cutter – Chevrolet Public Relations SEPAW Secretary………”
Well………that certainly gave the journalists something to think about…..and the best part is that
they would not have to travel around the country to attend this “SEPAW Meeting” – rather, they
only needed to travel to one of 14 cities.
The Day the Panther Died by Scott SettlemireThis was truly a technological undertaking…..
The Bell System (the only telephone system back then for those of you who are under 40 years of
age….) call arrangement included 14 cities and originated from Detroit’s Statler-Hilton Hotel
(sadly demolished about two years ago after sitting in ruin for nearly 25 years) where Chevrolet
General Manager E. M. “Pete” Estes made some announcements.
There were more than 100 persons involved in providing the two-way communication system over
13,715 miles of telephone circuits, including 9,259 miles of microwave radio and 4,446 miles of
coaxial cable.
The announcement over the wires was heard by approximately 150 of 200+ journalists in the
cities of: Atlanta, Boston, Buffalo, Chicago, Cincinnati, Dallas, Denver, Los Angeles, St. Louis,
San Francisco, New York, and Washington.
Amplifiers and microphones were installed in each of the 14 meeting rooms across the country so
that newspersons could hear Mr. Estes’ remarks and direct questions to him. The questions and
answers were heard simultaneously in all cities on the circuit.
GM was insistent that the system be tested – so a test call was made on Tuesday and was further
backed up by an auxiliary circuit in case difficulty developed anywhere within the system.
It’s interesting to note that we think nothing of linking friends on a conference call at will from our
homes or offices – without any real forethought. It was a different world 40 years ago…..and as
you can see by the above figures – it was quite an accomplishment.
The REAL story, however, was in what Mr. Estes was about to tell the journalists.
Looking through notes that survived 40 years within Chevrolet files, I’ve managed to put together
some of what Mr. Estes talked about that day.
He gave a brief review of sales, model-year-to-date sales lead, and talked about his optimism for
great June sales figures. He made it very clear that Chevrolet intended to remain America’s
number one selling cars and trucks.Mr. Estes started the press conference with:
“……..SEPAW stands for the S ociety for the E limination of P anthers from the A utomotive W
orld – and by your presence, you are automatically charter members…………July 1 marks my first
anniversary (As General Manager of) Chevrolet. It’s been a fast and highly competitive year……..’
He went on to mention the many travels he made to dealers and plants – and mentioned
milestones such as the 3 millionth Los Angeles produced Chevrolet passenger car—and the first
Passenger car to roll off the newly opened Lordstown, Ohio assembly plant.
Mr. Estes continued with: “………..it is also a year in which Chevrolet has gotten into the hottest
sales race since 1959……”
“………one of the reasons we’re going to stay number 1 is also a reason for this meeting.
Chevrolet is definitely going to have a new car included in the new models for the 1967 model year
– and this car will be introduced on September 29, 1966………….This is NOT news to many of
you! As far back as April 8, 1965, A Detroit newspaper had page-one headlines proclaiming that
Chevrolet had a “Panther” car to answer the horsy offering of a competitor. The question of who
was answering who has been discussed frequently, since the four-footed competitor really
answered the Corvair. And the Corvair actually followed up the Corvette which was the real
pioneer of the sporty-personalized car in this country…..”
“…..in the two years since then, you gentlemen of the press, radio, and television have literally
designed, built, and marketed the Chevrolet “Panther” to the point were we get irate letters from
customers plus phone calls demanding all specifications and price so they can place orders!”
(Note from Scott: --- wow –some things pretty much stay the same, don’t they???)
Mr. Estes continued: “………We have frequently said ‘what Panther?’ and there have been many
other names suggested ….citing Chevrolet’s preference for names starting with the letter
‘C’…………..”
“………….the personal sized car market is big …..” He went on to give current market figures and
projected figures. “…….Corvair will remain in this market …….handing the family-type small car
business……..” “…….with the 1967 line, Chevrolet will offer what we feel is the last word in
personal sized cars……” He went on to describe the size of this new car in terms of comparison to
both Corvair and Mustang – and some general details.
Personal car should be to its owner……..Above all, it is the name of our new car line to be
introduced on September 29……..and to us, the name means just what we think the car will do:
GO! ….and here it is!........”He announced that this new Chevrolet would be built in two assembly plants – one in Los
Angeles (Van Nuys) and one in the suburbs of Cincinnati, Ohio (Norwood.) He also mentioned
that Chevy II production would be switched to Willow Run (Ypsilanti) Michigan where they would
be built alongside Corvairs.
He then invited all news people to drive this new Chevrolet – and in fact all of the new Chevrolets
at a Press Preview in Detroit on September 12 and in Los Angeles on September 19.
Mr. Estes then said: “………..Oh yes! I almost forgot! The purpose of this meeting! Gentlemen:
much as we appreciate the tremendous publicity given “Panther” we ask you to help scratch the
cat once and forever. And as such, this will be both the FIRST and LAST meeting of SEPAW.
…………Chevrolet has chosen a name which is lithe, graceful, and in keeping with our other car
names beginning with the letter C……….it suggests the comradeship of good friends……….as a
personal car should be to its owner……..Above all, it is the name of our new car line to be
introduced on September 29……..and to us, the name means just what we think the car will do:
GO! ….and here it is!........”
At that moment, five very pretty girls came onto stage – each holding a letter……Mr. Estes held
the sixth letter – and while a narrator described to out-of-towners what was going on, Mr. Estes
placed each girl in order and then lined up with them for all to see the word “CAMARO.”
………and thus was the day the Panther died.

Now – many of you may have heard me talk about this day at various Camaro and Firebird
shows. For those of you who have not heard this story, I believe it merits repeating: I often
wonder, as Mr. Estes picked the name “Camaro” from a list of over 2,000 words – a name that
means “Friend, Pal, or Comrade” --- I just wonder: Did he EVER imagine that this wonderful car
– would bring so many ‘friends’ together all because of the love of the Camaro?
When asked a year later how he came up with the name “Camaro” – Mr. Estes laughed that he
locked himself in a closet and he came back out with Camaro!
Old 01-18-2012, 11:39 PM   #5
mpiper

Drives: 2011 Black 1LT RS
Yep, that's part of what I read. The other part was a picture of what looks like a post card showing a Camaro's profile (5th gen) with horses running in the background. Across the top it says "panthers prey on mustangs"

This was supposedly a teaser to an upcoming announcement. But I haven't heard a whisper about this before. So I'm hoping some of our more connected members (fbodfather?) might be able to shed some light on this. Or dispel any rumors.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

I think that was in response to the announcement of the ZL1, old news i believe?
Old 01-18-2012, 11:45 PM   #7
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
"Camaro an American Icon"

Had a similar passage about the Panther / Camaro story (post 4)

http://www.amazon.com/Camaro-America.../dp/1412716675
Old 01-19-2012, 12:01 AM   #8
evilbeef54
tail lights for u

Drives: Bumble Bee 2010 2SS/RS
It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good... They've done studies you know... 60% of the time it works every time
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RY M6- LOVIN' it
Kooks LT's & HFC's, Flowmaster Single chamber mufflers, C.A.I. Intake, ADM Scoop, Rotofab w/w relocate

Semper Paratus

You have to go out You don't have to come back!!!
Old 01-19-2012, 12:06 AM   #9
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbeef54 View Post
It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good... They've done studies you know... 60% of the time it works every time
Huh WTF?
Old 01-19-2012, 12:14 AM   #10
evilbeef54
tail lights for u

Drives: Bumble Bee 2010 2SS/RS
Anchorman... really? never seen it? Will Farrel... hillarious
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RY M6- LOVIN' it
Kooks LT's & HFC's, Flowmaster Single chamber mufflers, C.A.I. Intake, ADM Scoop, Rotofab w/w relocate

Semper Paratus

You have to go out You don't have to come back!!!
Old 01-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #11
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Quote:
Anchorman... really? never seen it? Will Farrel... hillarious
Ok got it now! Brain was on fart status and i was reading another screen and scanned back to this thread!
Old 01-19-2012, 12:42 AM   #12
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
Old 01-19-2012, 04:54 AM   #13
InfernoOrangeSS
VERITAS AEQUITAS

Drives: 2012 IOM SS
Cool

Panther would have been a cool name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Happiness is an IOM Camaro...
Old 01-19-2012, 06:32 AM   #14
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Ah yes! It's quite the car! Be watching for one of our closest allies to announce a very special car at the NADA (National Automobile Dealers Association) convention in Las Vegas ..........

Last edited by fbodfather; 01-19-2012 at 07:44 AM.

Closed Thread