Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-20-2009, 04:13 PM   #29
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithGriffin View Post
Everybody -
I'm the founder of Internet Car and Truck of the Year and new to this forum. I love the observations you are making. You raise great points about what makes a truck. I can't disagree with Mr. Icky's observation: "The motoring press has started to call any old mamby pamby glorified AWD minivan a truck these days and it's annoying." Any suggestions you have about what to call the truck category would be greatly appreciated.
Kieth, Welcome to the forum!!! We're happy to have you!

I think I'd call it something like "Crossovers/Trucks"...
Old 09-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #30
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Camaro/Equinox
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:22 PM   #31
meanmike
Account Suspended

Drives: FIRST ON RACE DAY
Most of the so called truck's, are'nt truck's at all.
meanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #32
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Drives: Long Distances
Just voted...Camaro SS #1 for cars (of course) and Equinox (I really like those!) #1 for the trucks/crossovers.
MikesZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:36 PM   #33
KeithGriffin

Drives: 2008 Mazda5, 2002 Dodge Neon
DragonEye -
Trucks/Crossovers may be the way to go. I'm creating a file of good suggestions (and yours is going to be in it). BTW, big shout out to the busy folks like yourself who moderate forums!
KeithGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #34
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
DragonEye -
Trucks/Crossovers may be the way to go. I'm creating a file of good suggestions (and yours is going to be in it). BTW, big shout out to the busy folks like yourself who moderate forums!
Well, thank you!!
Old 09-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #35
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
DragonEye -
Well, thank you!! Right back at you for maintaining a site like yours...And good luck on the voting process, I look forward to seeing the Camaro win!! erm...I mean..."may the best car (and truck/crossover/other ) win".
Old 09-21-2009, 03:13 AM   #36
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
Cars. Technically station wagons and mini-vans. Americans don't think it's cool to drive station wagons and minivans so they designed their station wagons and minivans to look like SUVs. I'll up the Q7 to truck though because it's got a 5500 tow rating without a split maximum/standard tow capability rating.
I agree that they aren't true 'trucks', and things have gotten ridiculous (the Chevy HHR is technically a 'truck' ... its a Cobalt wagon that looks like an early Suburban). Anyway, given the cargo volume and ground clearance of most crossovers, I would peg them as being closer to trucks. At the same time, they are mostly FWD unibody's where V8's and diesels are extremely rare. Anyways, most are being bought as a replacement for SUV's (which are considered as trucks) as opposed to say ... large sedans which are obviously cars. So the role they fill is a truck-type role, namely hauling stuff.

Also Keith, how did you find us? Did you google "vote for internet car of the year" and see this thread?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:57 AM   #37
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
Hmmm. The fact that the pros listed for the finalist Camaro says that the SS 'outperforms the top models of the immediate competition: Mustang, Challenger ' might give folks the perception of an inherent bias since, while the SS is very nice, it certainly doesn't outperform the top model Mustang, the GT500.

This might seems like a small issue, but I've spoken to more than a couple Mustang guys who have already decided that the contest is just an excuse to say 'yay Camaro' one more time with a pre-decided outcome, and as such they have simply written the whole thing off. Initially I started to call this an over-reaction, but then I realized that for a freshman effort that should be well above board in an effort to prove the validity of the contest such an obvious oversight is sloppy to be kind.

If you don't get a well rounded vote, then the result of that voting will be effectively pointless.

Last edited by syr74; 09-21-2009 at 05:41 AM.
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:11 AM   #38
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by syr74 View Post
it certainly doesn't outperform the top model Mustang, the GT500.
No...but then it's not "immediate competiton", now is it?
Besides, there's been a few "official" tests where it comes close enough to cause embarrasment.

Quote:
but I've spoken to more than a couple Mustang guys who have already decided that the contest is just an excuse to say 'yay Camaro' one more time
Really? How suprising.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #39
meanmike
Account Suspended

Drives: FIRST ON RACE DAY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Besides, there's been a few "official" tests where it comes close enough to cause embarrasment.
I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this, I'm just wondering what these test's were, because I have'nt seen them.

Thank's
meanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:41 AM   #40
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
No...but then it's not "immediate competiton", now is it?
Ah, the old 'eye roll' smiley huh. Read it with me slowly now. The website said that the Camaro.....

Quote:
outperforms the top models of the immediate competition: Mustang, Challenger
.....no ambiguity there. This is blatantly stating that Camaro outperforms the top model Mustang and Challenger, which is pure fantasy as it relates to the former. To give them some credit I think the approach that they are taking is that the GT500 is somehow 'not technically a Mustang' in the same manner that VW claims the GTi is a separate model from that Golf and thus doesn't apply, but as we all know that would be an erroneous assumption and most folks wont read it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye
Wow, gotta say it isn't typically like you to not give credit where credit is due. Motor Trend has gotten a 12.4 from the GT500 which is half a second better than any mainstream rag has gotten from the Camaro, and the GT500's best stock effort to date, an 11.95, is in another realm compared to anything the Camaro SS has yet managed and you know it. Given this, we can only assume that the folks knocking down times in the 12.8 second range simply weren't very good drivers. Why should anybody at Ford be embarrassed about a lack of driving skill on the part of a tester?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye
Really? How suprising.
Yes, how ridiculous that somebody would expect a body of what are technically journalists to strive for accuracy.

Last edited by syr74; 09-21-2009 at 01:59 PM.
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:49 AM   #41
nova

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, VR, PW, WR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
... easy pick for the camaro... but for truck... Raptor
Yep. Looking at the Raptor and what you get for the $$, I'd straight up get rid of the Colorado for one if a 2SS wasn't top o' my list right now...

Mods:
skip shift eliminator (hey everybody's gotta start somewhere )
crappily painted engine cover...
nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #42
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
Quote:
.....no ambiguity there. This is blatantly stating that Camaro outperforms the top model Mustang and Challenger, which is pure fantasy as it relates to the former. To give them some credit I think the approach that they are taking is that the GT500 is somehow 'not technically a Mustang' in the same manner that VW claims the GTi is a separate model from that Golf and thus doesn't apply, but as we all know that would be an erroneous assumption and most folks wont read it that way.
Reasons why the GT500 isn't a direct competitor to the Camaro SS:
1) The Camaro wasn't designed to compete with the GT500. It was designed to be better than the 2009 Mustang GT.
2) It's not priced to compete with the GT500. It was priced to compete with the 2009 Mustang GT.
3) The GT500 sells 12-18k units a year, though it may not be officially, to me that makes it a limited production vehicle. Whereas the Camaro had as many presold orders. It was meant to sell as many or more units than the Mustang GT.

Reasons One might consider them Immediate competitors:
1) They're both the current top model in the muscle/pony car segment from their manufacturers.
2) ???
3) Profit!!!
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote