Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-01-2023, 08:12 AM   #1
Crazych66

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert
Vararam DRX and LSA

Hello, in the process of getting the last few parts together for an LSA build on my 2012 SS. I currently have the Vararam DRX CAI and want to reuse it. Based on reading here, the only difference between the DRX for the ZL1 and the SS is the ZL1 version re-uses the OEM/stock intake tube from the throttle body.

I reached out to Vararam and they confirmed that I 'll need a stock ZL1 intake tube, but are also saying I need a new tail-box/MAF tube that goes between the stock intake tube and the CAI. Based on the thread below, the only difference is the ZL1 version re-uses the stock intake tube.

Can anyone verify that this is the case? I don't want to pay Vararam $200 to custom make a new MAF tube if I don't need it.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517190
2012 Camaro SS Convertible: 2SS, LS3, M6, Triple Black. Mods: Solo Axleback, 1LE FE6 rear swaybar, CAGS delete, Vararam CAI, Heritage grill, Hotchkis springs, '15 FE4 struts/shocks, ZL1 side rockers, Velgen Classic5 wheels, Pedders radius rod bushings, ARH LTHs, gutted HFCs,...
Crazych66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 08:28 AM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
All I can add is that I was able to modify the tune on my CAI to work with the LSA. The angle is different so the tube entering the "Filter Box" was different but there was enough flexibility to adjust it to the new angle.

I don't see any good pictures of the DRX mounted but it appears it might be hard to adapt to the new angle.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 09:08 AM   #3
Crazych66

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
All I can add is that I was able to modify the tune on my CAI to work with the LSA. The angle is different so the tube entering the "Filter Box" was different but there was enough flexibility to adjust it to the new angle.

I don't see any good pictures of the DRX mounted but it appears it might be hard to adapt to the new angle.
Hey thanks for the reply! The post above has a link to a thread with a pic of the DRX on a ZL1 so it works. The stock ZL1 intake tube provides the angle to align with the DRX CAI box. Just trying to figure out if I need anything else!
2012 Camaro SS Convertible: 2SS, LS3, M6, Triple Black. Mods: Solo Axleback, 1LE FE6 rear swaybar, CAGS delete, Vararam CAI, Heritage grill, Hotchkis springs, '15 FE4 struts/shocks, ZL1 side rockers, Velgen Classic5 wheels, Pedders radius rod bushings, ARH LTHs, gutted HFCs,...
Old 11-01-2023, 09:56 AM   #4
gtstorey

Post a picture of you current set up or one mounted on an SS. It appears from the picture that is on the vararam website that are differences on the maf mount tube. It probably comes down to how inventive you are at making the current pieces work. You could probably just make a 45 degree silicone elbow work if you try hard enough.
Old 11-01-2023, 11:21 AM   #5
Crazych66

Quote:
Post a picture of you current set up or one mounted on an SS. It appears from the picture that is on the vararam website that are differences on the maf mount tube. It probably comes down to how inventive you are at making the current pieces work. You could probably just make a 45 degree silicone elbow work if you try hard enough.
These aren't mine on these threads but it's the same setup.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511135

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477622
Old 11-01-2023, 11:32 AM   #6
gtstorey

The maf mount tube looks the same but it's possible the diameter is different.
Old 11-01-2023, 01:56 PM   #7
Crazych66

Quote:
The maf mount tube looks the same but it's possible the diameter is different.
Yep. I'm thinking the same diameter. Just looking for confirmation.