Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-28-2017, 06:54 PM   #1
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Blue Ray A6
Vararam VR-DRX

I just saw an advertisement for the Vararam VR-DRX, appears to be a very nice CAI. They appear to use the W/W as a baffle between engine heat and intake. Also promise .5 PSI over competition and 1.5-2.0 gains in pressure. I have been on the fence for a long time on what CAI to go with. Has anyone used this model:

http://www.vararam.com/VRDRX.html
StreetRage320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:53 AM   #2
jsd

Drives: 2012 ZL 1 #370
Hi
I was also intessed in this cai. A few weeks ago, i asked the vararam support for more detailed informations, like installation instruction and how it works with the ww replacement. The answers was very short and i think, he wasn‘t really interessed to sale this thing.
I have the air intake from c.a.i. Installed and think about to install something else, what looks more stock. In switzerland is like in california forbidden to install cai on cars
jsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:14 AM   #3
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I see the website as cheesey with a lot of puffery.

"Gains of 20-45hp over the competition." How do they get 100-300% more gains than everyone else?

I paid $400 for my CAI and am impressed with construction.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:17 AM   #4
14ssrs6man

Drives: Summit White 2014 2SS/RS 6spd
I have had mine for a little less than a year, previously had a Cold Air Inductions unit. This unit has noticeably more power in real world driving (not dyno). I am very happy with it! I had a little trouble with install fit but after talking with Patrick at Vararam, it was figured out... placement of the silicone tube is critical for proper fit. Here is the thread from install. NOTE: I have a SS LS3, not a ZL1
Thanks
Dan

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466125

Last edited by 14ssrs6man; 12-30-2017 at 07:18 AM. Reason: clarification
14ssrs6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:51 AM   #5
IcedBee

Drives: 2013 Europe Summit White
I have it installed in my ZL1. Was kind of a nightmare to order it:
- vararam always claimed that it is for SS and ZL1 (on their website etc.)
- I contacted vararam just to chat a bit and then they told me that the ZL1 part is a custom order. I asked then several shops which sell that cai and all told me that it fits the ZL1 but this is wrong information.

- wanted to order directly from vararam but they could not ship to my location

- I finally contacted JDP and they ordered it for me. You also need to tell them the power level / aim for your car because they custom build some parts fitting your needs.

Installation is quite a pain (remove washer bottle) with the belly pan installed. But It worked and left some nice marks on my arms I also flooded my garage with some washer fluid

Performance wise I feel a little bit more "bite" but I actually bought it to get some sc whine and because I needed one which looks like stock. So I am very happy with it.

Just a side note: The ZL1 version reuses the stock intake tube. Just for the look a rotofab etc. might be the better choice.
IcedBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:09 PM   #6
dru21281

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedBee View Post
I have it installed in my ZL1. Was kind of a nightmare to order it:
- vararam always claimed that it is for SS and ZL1 (on their website etc.)
- I contacted vararam just to chat a bit and then they told me that the ZL1 part is a custom order. I asked then several shops which sell that cai and all told me that it fits the ZL1 but this is wrong information.

- wanted to order directly from vararam but they could not ship to my location

- I finally contacted JDP and they ordered it for me. You also need to tell them the power level / aim for your car because they custom build some parts fitting your needs.

Installation is quite a pain (remove washer bottle) with the belly pan installed. But It worked and left some nice marks on my arms I also flooded my garage with some washer fluid

Performance wise I feel a little bit more "bite" but I actually bought it to get some sc whine and because I needed one which looks like stock. So I am very happy with it.

Just a side note: The ZL1 version reuses the stock intake tube. Just for the look a rotofab etc. might be the better choice.
So the ZL1 model reuses the stock intake tube, but do they still include the normal VR intake tube that comes with the SS VR-DRX?. Do you have any pictures you can post?
dru21281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:11 PM   #7
krisprz2010camaross
SoCal HT5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/Rs Transformers,L99
Vararam customer service is the worse! But I do have the Vararam intake hahah. Big improvement over the k&n air intake I had before. Saw dyno improvements as well.
Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers & cats delete
Corsa ZL1 3" exhaust
CMS Dyno Tune
Billet oil catch can
Taylor racing spark plug wires
Taylor racing spark plug wire sleeves
1le strut tower brace-TPIS spacers
Nick Williams 102mm throttle body
Fast lsxr 102 intake manifold
Slp 25% UDP
DDS carbon fiber driveshaft
ZL1 fuel pump & injectors
Flex fuel sensor (91/E85)
ADM FPCM
Granatelli brake rotors(slotted/dimpled)
Grantaelli brake lines
BMR suspension & more!-https://wheelwell.com/kris-perez
krisprz2010camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:23 PM   #8
dru21281

Nice, do you have a ZL1 or SS? If it's zl1 do you mind posting some installed pics? Have not been able to find any pics of the VR-DRX installed on a ZL1 yet, even asked Vararam and some vendors...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
dru21281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #9
silversleeper
Some ol' dude

Drives: '13 ZL1
I just put on a rotofab. Their instructions are very good. I took my time to read each part carefully and am pleased with their product. I could take a few pics and comments to supplement their instructions if anyone is getting ready to install one.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:37 AM   #10
IcedBee

Drives: 2013 Europe Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by dru21281 View Post
So the ZL1 model reuses the stock intake tube, but do they still include the normal VR intake tube that comes with the SS VR-DRX?. Do you have any pictures you can post?

No, there is no tube included.
They have pictures on their facebook, just added it here.
Attached Images

IcedBee is offline   Reply With Quote