Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 12-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
Dboy23
2G1FB1EV7A9100028

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Hemi
Z/28 Believeable?

It's been a while since I've posted on here, mostly because I replaced my 2010 Camaro with a Jeep Wrangler but I figured I'd sign in to make this thread. Some of you might remember (most of you probably won't) that about a year ago I made a thread saying that the Z/28 would have an LS7 along with some C7 info and most people either told me I was an idiot or told me how it would never work/happen. Just thought I'd see what some of you guys thought now that it's actually been released.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 View Post
I think it's an awesome thing for GM and serious track enthusiasts, but I feel Chevy missed the mark by making it pretty much undesirable for use other than that purpose and inaccessible for most based on the projected price.

I think that while there were a few that wanted exactly what Chevy is giving us, the vast majority were wanting something more along the lines of the Z28's of the last four generations; basically a 1LE with a more powerful, normally-aspirated, powertrain and a price that most could afford.
Exactly! More motor in the 1LE is all that is needed. Base 1LE at $38k plus LS7 engine is what should be available now via factory. Let the z28 folks pay the $20k more plus if they want. To the OP-I know what you want to hear so here you go "you were right".
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
I think it's an awesome thing for GM and serious track enthusiasts, but I feel Chevy missed the mark by making it pretty much undesirable for use other than that purpose and inaccessible for most based on the projected price.

I think that while there were a few that wanted exactly what Chevy is giving us, the vast majority were wanting something more along the lines of the Z28's of the last four generations; basically a 1LE with a more powerful, normally-aspirated, powertrain and a price that most could afford.
But that wasn't the Z/28. The Z28 of previous years was just a V8 Camaro that used the Z28 badge. That would be like next generation, the ZL1 became the base V8.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
I remember how quickly that thread was retracted. I wish you told us how outrageous it was going to be. I think you knew about the refresh too.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Do you have a link to that thread to peruse? Thanks.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
PYROLYSIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Do you have a link to that thread to peruse? Thanks.
I tried finding it but couldn't. The juicy stuff is probably erased if the thread still exists. Remember when he told us this stuff and the things he said made it believable? We advised him that the info could get somebody in trouble and the tidbits were deleted one by one.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

All I could find is this...

New To This, Got An Idea (Poll)
"I have a feeling that the Z28 is going to be a lot like the Jay Leno car, too many hints and with cafe standards it's gonna be hard not to be. They might just offer a special edition SS with the S/C, too many company's with Superchargers for the Camaro for GM to do it too. I'm thinking Twin Turbo 6 with racing suspension/brakes etc. input, ideas? Try to keep it clean guys, just asking opinions, check out the Poll."

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81848
Old 12-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
PYROLYSIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
All I could find is this...

New To This, Got An Idea (Poll)
"I have a feeling that the Z28 is going to be a lot like the Jay Leno car, too many hints and with cafe standards it's gonna be hard not to be. They might just offer a special edition SS with the S/C, too many company's with Superchargers for the Camaro for GM to do it too. I'm thinking Twin Turbo 6 with racing suspension/brakes etc. input, ideas? Try to keep it clean guys, just asking opinions, check out the Poll."

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81848
That's not it. I remember him calling it HP2 which wasn't really the code name but it sounded good. I think the thread was started 6-9 months before the surprise reveal.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
PYROLYSIS

Quote:
That's right. But the fact that GM used that badge on them makes them all Z28's. I get that they were not necessarily true to what the original z/28 was built for, but that foes not change the fact the GM elected to use that badge on Camaros of various generations.

Of course, GM has done a wonderful job of creating separation from the choice of using that badge in the past, by making a case that a z/28 is different from a Z28.

It is still my opinion that more people were hoping to see a Z28 for this generation rather than a z/28.
Agreed. I love the third and fourth gen Z28s. They were the best they could offer at the time.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
Bhobbs

Quote:
That's right. But the fact that GM used that badge on them makes them all Z28's. I get that they were not necessarily true to what the original z/28 was built for, but that foes not change the fact the GM elected to use that badge on Camaros of various generations.

Of course, GM has done a wonderful job of creating separation from the choice of using that badge in the past, by making a case that a z/28 is different from a Z28.

It is still my opinion that more people were hoping to see a Z28 for this generation rather than a z/28.
They already have a 5th gen Z28, it just happens to be called SS this time around.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
They already have a 5th gen Z28, it just happens to be called SS this time around.
SS/1LE
Old 12-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #12
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I continue to believe it was an incredible decision. The LS7 was clearly on its way out, as expected, and somehow GM kept it in action. I'm both astonished and gratified.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #13
Bhobbs

Quote:
That makes no sense to me. But again, GM can do whatever they like with their naming conventions, we consumers are just alone for the ride.
What doesn't make sense? The 4th gen base V8 was called the Z28. The 5th gen base V8 is called the SS. The Z28 that some people say really should have been built isn't anything special.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #14
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
That makes no sense to me. But again, GM can do whatever they like with their naming conventions, we consumers are just alone for the ride.
The last couple of years of the 2nd generation and all of the 3rd and 4th generation years, the base performance V8 Camaro during these years was the Z28 model. So it safe to directly correlate to the premise that the 5th gens base performance V8 model, the SS, is the same as the Z28 of the previous gens position in the performance pecking order so to speak.

The IROC of the 3rd gen and the SS of the 4th gen was the higher performance option in the pecking order with the 1LE being the rare bare bones performance option for a few lucking club racers and the basis for the police package B4C Camaro.

The 5th gen just has a different order of things with respect to the performance portfolio lineup. The upcoming Z/28 is going back to the 1st gens inaugural Z/28's mission of the ultimate no excuses made barely street legal track terror. Just because it may be priced out of most of our price range, it still will be once again a proper Z/28.