Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-23-2008, 10:12 PM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Score one more for Chevy/GM

Here's my personal thread for the month.

Remember that friend I was talking about who was looking into a Hyundai Accent for a cheap car to get him through college, etc? Maybe...maybe not. Well, he thought like too many do, that just because it's Japanese, it's an astounding vehicle; surely one to put all other vehicles to shame. And likewise, he thought that ALL Chevy's (amongst the other brands, and besides the 'Vette) were crap cars built by that filthy American company General Motors....

Anyways, I hoaxed him into a Cobalt, instead! And apparently I did SUCH a good job, he didn't even test drive the car before he bought it. (GM, are you guys looking for a PR guy? )

He recieved it today, and I'm waiting on an initial impression from him, but if it's anything like mine was, there should be lots of exclamation marks.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
Ottenbacher2

Drives: 2000 Camaro
Good thing he didn't buy the Hyundai because it's South Korean not Japanese I wouldn't say Korea has a good rep with cars (Hyundai, Kia, Daewoo) 3 brands I would never buy. I think he'll be much happier with his Cobalt.
Ottenbacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
GOOD JOB. My wife has that same perception, and it drives me crazy!
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:04 PM   #4
bouncertime
Miller High Life

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1, 2017 Colorado Z71
I have said it before, my wife and I love our Cobalt.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:41 AM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Here's my personal thread for the month.

Remember that friend I was talking about who was looking into a Hyundai Accent for a cheap car to get him through college, etc? Maybe...maybe not. Well, he thought like too many do, that just because it's Japanese, it's an astounding vehicle; surely one to put all other vehicles to shame. And likewise, he thought that ALL Chevy's (amongst the other brands, and besides the 'Vette) were crap cars built by that filthy American company General Motors....

Anyways, I hoaxed him into a Cobalt, instead! And apparently I did SUCH a good job, he didn't even test drive the car before he bought it. (GM, are you guys looking for a PR guy? )

He recieved it today, and I'm waiting on an initial impression from him, but if it's anything like mine was, there should be lots of exclamation marks.
Damn good job!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottenbacher2 View Post
Good thing he didn't buy the Hyundai because it's South Korean not Japanese I wouldn't say Korea has a good rep with cars (Hyundai, Kia, Daewoo) 3 brands I would never buy. I think he'll be much happier with his Cobalt.
I was pretty hesitant about the Kia too....until we drove ours and saw all it had to offer...including the 10 year warranty. So far, so good! 3 years old and still running strong. Only two minor problems...an electrical problem w/ the drivers side seat (it would go up, but not down) and the airbag light in the dash would stay on saying the passenger air bag was not active. That's it...no other problems. LOVE the Sorento.

Again, great job Dragon!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:37 AM   #6
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
he didn't even test drive the car before he bought it
This means that you're a great salesman, but it bodes ill for the end result of the whole thing. Buying a car you've never driven is a recipe for disaster, when you find out that the armrest is in the wrong place, or the transmission doesn't feel the way you like, or whatever...

Still, I understand those Cobalts are damn fine cars, so it will probably deliver what you promised anyway.

As for Koren cars...Hyundai has really stepped up, just like GM has. They may not quite be up to the level that GM is but they're pretty close, and far better than GM was 20 years ago.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:24 AM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
This means that you're a great salesman, but it bodes ill for the end result of the whole thing. Buying a car you've never driven is a recipe for disaster, when you find out that the armrest is in the wrong place, or the transmission doesn't feel the way you like, or whatever...

Still, I understand those Cobalts are damn fine cars, so it will probably deliver what you promised anyway.
Hey, I was shocked when he told me that!! I was under the impression that he was looking INTO cars, and I told him lots of good things about the Cobalt...expecting him to test-drive it, and then I'd let the car sell itself....

but nooooooooooooo,

Quote:
"So, did you go for a test drive?"

"nope"

"what?!"

"Didn't have time. been busy; and I trust your advise"

**slaps hand on head**
Whatever, he drove it today and said the only thing he doesn't like is that it's missing a center armrest. I guess that's good news.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:46 AM   #8
BumbleBee
Yes, I am a girl

Drives: 2006 Pontiac Vibe
I was actually talked to an owner of a Matrix, I'm a Vibe owner, and we were both delivering food/cake to a wedding party. I made the mistake of ingaging her:

Me: "I like your Matrix."
Lady: "Thank you, I love it."
Me: "You know your car and mine are the same car."
Takes a quick look at my Vibe and decides that it is indeed not a Matrix...
Lady: "Except mine was built better."
Me: "They were actually built in the same factory the first year of production."
Lady: "No. Mine was built in Japan, because I only buy 100% Japanese."
She goes on saying how American is crap and something about being born in Michigan... I decided to end the conversation there, believing my job is more important then enlightening the stupid.

*sigh*

*I hate Cobalts*
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...VibeCrash1.jpg

...second to none
BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:57 AM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Blind allegiance to one brand or region is bad, thats what I tell everyone. I like GM because they meet my wants, needs, and tastes better than any other. Now, while it is surprising that a hater took a cobalt without a test drive it is good to hear that another person may have been converted, unless he ends up with a lemon then hes gone for good. But anything that I've heard is that cobalts do their job well and thats good enough for me.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:27 AM   #10
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
+1...my wife is the same way too...it's obnoxious. she actually thinks if it has a bow tie, it's ghetto...
Chevyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:53 AM   #11
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
I decided to end the conversation there, believing my job is more important then enlightening the stupid. [/url]
Yup. It's not like you'd enlighten anyone anyway. That sort of thing doesn't happen. It's kinda like arguing on the internet...
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #12
Ottenbacher2

Drives: 2000 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I was pretty hesitant about the Kia too....until we drove ours and saw all it had to offer...including the 10 year warranty. So far, so good! 3 years old and still running strong. Only two minor problems...an electrical problem w/ the drivers side seat (it would go up, but not down) and the airbag light in the dash would stay on saying the passenger air bag was not active. That's it...no other problems. LOVE the Sorento.
I've been driving my aunt's Sorento around the past few days on vacation and Kia has really steped up not to bad of a suv.
Ottenbacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:18 PM   #13
GSX
Falcon Punch

Drives: Scion tC (way too slow)
KIA=Killed in Action
GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:15 PM   #14
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
I was actually talked to an owner of a Matrix, I'm a Vibe owner, and we were both delivering food/cake to a wedding party. I made the mistake of ingaging her:

Me: "I like your Matrix."
Lady: "Thank you, I love it."
Me: "You know your car and mine are the same car."
Takes a quick look at my Vibe and decides that it is indeed not a Matrix...
Lady: "Except mine was built better."
Me: "They were actually built in the same factory the first year of production."
Lady: "No. Mine was built in Japan, because I only buy 100% Japanese."
She goes on saying how American is crap and something about being born in Michigan... I decided to end the conversation there, believing my job is more important then enlightening the stupid.

*sigh*

*I hate Cobalts*
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...VibeCrash1.jpg
That story makes me laugh but also makes me want to kill myself/other people. I just can't stand the stupidity anymore. Ignorance drives me crazy.

With the Cobalt, sure the interior isn't as refined as the competition, but for overall cost of ownership (insurance, maintenance, gas, depreciation, etc) its darn hard to beat.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote