Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #99
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Total_Perf_Eng View Post
Its freaking killing me.
Just don't give us another scare attack like you did a while back when you thought you had heart attack in your kitchen. So, what the heck was it, anxiety attack?
Old 01-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #100
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
At 24 thousand rpms they do..

They only sound like that when your really spinning them hard. We were running 16 and 18psi. When running them at 8-10, you dont really hear them. Although I know a few tricks to make them sound that for the guy with low boost, yet wanting to sound like a fighter jet..
Personally, and it's just me I think, I'd like to hear the deep and loud exhaust rather than the supercharger. So that's good to know it's quiet on base applications.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #101
PatrickfromMD

Drives: Buick Enclave/Corvette/2010 Camaro
Quote:
Good question..
Yeah, we were cracking up about it last night. The absolute lowest boost we could get out of a 3.6, and still keep a 4" pulley, is like 12psi. The difference between the 3.6 and 2.8 is freaking huge.

Hey, Can I run a an underdrivecrank pulley to allow the use of a 3.6 liter blower on a mildly modified motor to keep the boost in check and at the same time get back some of those lost blower driving ponies by driving my accessories slower? Would turning it slower take it out of its sweet spot? Then later with a forged bottom in, I can swap pulleys again and turn it at the speed it was meant to.

***56K miles and still going strong***
2SS/RS IOM ext w/cyber grey stripes, tinted windows, IO int Auto
ProTorque prototype Converter, Chuck Mosello of Westchester Corvettes Custom Tune
T&T installed SLP Longtubes, Powerflow X Pipe, and Powerflow axle back
JL 10W3 in custom side sub box, new door tweeters, Alpine 5ch 600 watt
T&T configured ACS front Fascia w/ heritage grill, splitter, dual color halos, , led markers, taillight bezels , all accented in CGM
Gary Custom Z vented fenders. Vararam ver 2
Old 01-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #102
ls7camaro

Drives: 2010 camaro
i hope is sounds like that. I am in texas now building my camaro at Hennessey, where is the KB headquarters located
Old 01-13-2010, 12:50 AM   #103
Badger

Drives: 2010 ABM SS #14 of 2,027
Subscribed

-- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840
Old 01-13-2010, 12:58 AM   #104
liquidfire350

Drives: 2010 Black SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Subscribed
you know you can do that without posting, right?
Old 01-13-2010, 02:50 AM   #105
Badger

Drives: 2010 ABM SS #14 of 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidfire350 View Post
you know you can do that without posting, right?
Yeah but then my post count wouldn't be this high, Right?

-- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840
Old 01-13-2010, 02:52 AM   #106
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
lol
Old 01-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #107
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I just picked up 5.0 Mustang & Fast Fords (a little late, I know...) and it has a great write-up on the 3.6 and a little tidbit on the 4.X. T.P.E. - did you write that article or something? The way it was worded, and a post you put up in here look pretty similar. It was a pretty cool article, if anyone hasn't seen it and would like some more pretty pictures and information about this SC.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 01-13-2010, 09:47 AM   #108
SSRSLY
Lady Racer

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
At 24 thousand rpms they do..

They only sound like that when your really spinning them hard. We were running 16 and 18psi. When running them at 8-10, you dont really hear them. Although I know a few tricks to make them sound that for the guy with low boost, yet wanting to sound like a fighter jet..
I do love the banshee scream my Lightning emits, even with the factory Eaton, but there is also something to be said of a blower that doesn't whine...it's a silent killer

I'm really looking forward to more info on this kit. We would LOVE to get our hands on one, I bet we could take down MTI Racing's 1.9L Maggie as the Texas Mile Camaro king in March

2014 Ford F150 Tremor
2012 Shelby GT500
Old 01-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #109
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
My favorite SC sound.
Love them KB's.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #110
Total_Perf_Eng

Drives: Corvette
Send a message via AIM to Total_Perf_Eng
Well, yes you could. That is one of the things we are researching now. If we run an underdrive with the 3.6, we should be able to get the boost around 9-10psi. Of course this is just an off the top of my head calculation, but KB is researching exactly what the 10% and 25% underdrive pulley, with a 4" blower pulley will net. But you will have to change the underdrive pulley out if/when you want to up the boost. You will run a risk of belt slip with tht small of a pulley on the crank.

Yes, by running the blower really slow, you will introduce 200-300 rpms of lag. It is not optimal, and should only be done if you were going to be upgrading soon.

Keep in mind though, if you do not have intentions of building your motor to at least a 427, and running high boost, it is simply a waste of money. The 2.8H will more than do the trick. All of the GT500 Supersnakes were running the 2.8H, and they are making 800-900rwhp on a 5.4L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickfromMD View Post
Hey, Can I run a an underdrivecrank pulley to allow the use of a 3.6 liter blower on a mildly modified motor to keep the boost in check and at the same time get back some of those lost blower driving ponies by driving my accessories slower? Would turning it slower take it out of its sweet spot? Then later with a forged bottom in, I can swap pulleys again and turn it at the speed it was meant to.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:33 PM   #111
Total_Perf_Eng

Drives: Corvette
Send a message via AIM to Total_Perf_Eng
No, not at all. I dont write tech articles. But Jim B and I talk soo freaking much, that I wouldnt be surprised if he did. I have learned more from that man than any single person in this industry. His entire office is filled with file cabinets of data over the last 40 years. You could ask him what the very first KB supercharger flowed, and he can/will walk over to a cabinet, and pull out the scratch pad that he originally wrote the info down on when he was doing the test. We have sat down for hours discussing the laws of supercharging. That man is an engineer to the soul.

Alot of people dont know this, but he is avail to talk to customers about tech questions when he's in the office. If you really need a question/concern answered, he will be more than happy to explain it. You just gotta get through the tech guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I just picked up 5.0 Mustang & Fast Fords (a little late, I know...) and it has a great write-up on the 3.6 and a little tidbit on the 4.X. T.P.E. - did you write that article or something? The way it was worded, and a post you put up in here look pretty similar. It was a pretty cool article, if anyone hasn't seen it and would like some more pretty pictures and information about this SC.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #112
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
No, not at all. I dont write tech articles. But Jim B and I talk soo freaking much, that I wouldnt be surprised if he did. I have learned more from that man than any single person in this industry. His entire office is filled with file cabinets of data over the last 40 years. You could ask him what the very first KB supercharger flowed, and he can/will walk over to a cabinet, and pull out the scratch pad that he originally wrote the info down on when he was doing the test. We have sat down for hours discussing the laws of supercharging. That man is an engineer to the soul.

Alot of people dont know this, but he is avail to talk to customers about tech questions when he's in the office. If you really need a question/concern answered, he will be more than happy to explain it. You just gotta get through the tech guys.
That's good to know

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs

Closed Thread