Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Do you see the 5th gen camaro as a Sports or Muscle car?
Sport 6 31.58%
Muscle 13 68.42%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Video: Discussion on American cars (Talks about the Camaro)

This is a good discussion about American cars in general. They touch on the camaro, challenger and mustang and how muscle will survive nowadays. Also they discuss V6 muslce car models always being stripped and boring. That is a good point that i dont think we have thought about yet.

http://www.garage419.com/episode/419_20080701

If one of the moderators can embed this vid for me that would be great or if someone can tell me how. Thanks

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Decent video...but I think they're severely missing the point on GM's rebirth of the Camaro, and their useage of the name. Especially the part where what WAS a muscle car, has evolved into a sports car with Muscle car ancestry. I don't like the way he keeps saying they're "bailing" on it.....This car has things that are more appropriate for the times, like....I don't know, an inexpensive 300hp V6 model? Maybe lots of goodies standard?

And I don't think we can embed that video here...at least, I can't find a way.

EDIT: I like his thoughts on what the V6 Camaro will be; and 'uncomplete' car...it's a little dissapointing to realize people really are in this mindset...
Old 07-07-2008, 08:23 PM   #3
AirGoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Decent video...but I think they're severely missing the point on GM's rebirth of the Camaro, and their useage of the name. Especially the part where what WAS a muscle car, has evolved into a sports car with Muscle car ancestry. I don't like the way he keeps saying they're "bailing" on it.....This car has things that are more appropriate for the times, like....I don't know, an inexpensive 300hp V6 model? Maybe lots of goodies standard?

EDIT: I like his thoughts on what the V6 Camaro will be; and 'uncomplete' car...it's a little dissapointing to realize people really are in this mindset...

I knew exactly what they were talking about when they were saying how they could spot v6 mustang a mile away. But I think when the camaro comes out, they will realize that that has all changed, for GM anyways. There are just a lot of things that dont know that we do, but they will be shocked at how great of a performer the V6 is, not only the V8.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:57 AM   #4
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

+1

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:03 AM   #5
Myka
ritired suthern gentlman

Drives: nothing now
It's kind of weird to admit but getting a V8 would have a lot to do with what other people thought. I mean, I could have a brand new V6 model just the way I want but how will I feel when someone asks, "Is it a V6 or a V8?". The V6 will have plenty of power for me but I don't want to feel inadequate lol. Though, I don't want my bank account to feel inadequate either rofl.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:46 AM   #6
LadiesMan217

Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
It's kind of weird to admit but getting a V8 would have a lot to do with what other people thought. I mean, I could have a brand new V6 model just the way I want but how will I feel when someone asks, "Is it a V6 or a V8?". The V6 will have plenty of power for me but I don't want to feel inadequate lol. Though, I don't want my bank account to feel inadequate either rofl.
If they are asking if it's a V6 or V8...that means they can't tell...which means they don't know cars...which means they probably don't know the difference other than 8 is higher than 6.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:34 AM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
So....this could bring up a new great thread and poll...

Is the new Camaro a muscle car, or a sports car? Which and why?
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #8
AirGoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
So....this could bring up a new great thread and poll...

Is the new Camaro a muscle car, or a sports car? Which and why?
That is a great question. I personally think it can be both. I mean the 300hp V6 is in my eyes a great sports car. Almost 50/50 weight distribution and plenty of power. Once we start heading up to the upper level engines, its all up to your perception of the car. I mean the camaro is a sports car with peices of muscle car in its styling and engineering.

So i just added the poll. Explain why you picked what you picked.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:08 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I picked a sports car, but I think it's a little bit of both.

It's no longer a "Muscle Car" in the traditional sense, and it shouldn't be. There's not 8 billion different V8 engines to choose from, it's good on fuel economy, and it has all the creature-comforts one would expect out of a high-quality, high-end vehicle. Fortunately Camaro has proven that it can, in fact, change with the times. Evidence is found simply in the idea of a Turbocharged 4 cylinder version, and a heavily marketed V6 against a powerhouse V8 model.

But it still has it's muscle car, big-power V8, straight line speed roots. Anybody denying that is denying half the cars lineup.

I think GM is making a good decision by not marketing it to the muscle-car crowd, because it's not what the car is anymore. It's that, and so much more. Good thing is; that's what it'll take to survive the upcoming years.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:53 AM   #10
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Drives: 99 S10 ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I went thru that when I was buying the '02 Z/28, but once I got the Z/28 I was glad I had it. And yea, part of it was from the ability to answer the question 'is it a V8'.... the other part of it was the feel/sound/speed.

Now, if the V6 can match the performance (300hp) and sound of the 02......?????
What a problem! The late 70's early 80's never had THAT problem. And I would love to have a new 79 or 84.... love 'em all.

I voted sport... 'cause I like the curves MORE than the quarter mile.

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
getting ready for my Camaro
02 Z28 - - - sold :( miss it!
chadrcr is offline   Reply With Quote