Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-15-2008, 11:27 PM   #29
Fandango
(In Z/28 Therapy)

Drives: 2014 SS Camaro (Sookie)
Send a message via AIM to Fandango
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
We have no immediate plans to offer a Bumblebee Package --

There will be three cars specially painted (not at the plant) to fulfill the Transformers Contest.

Ladies and Gentlemen -- the cost of the Bumblebee paint alone approaches what some of you would be willing to pay....that does not include any prep or the painting itself -- or cleanup --
Always did love the crypticesqueness that is fbodfather. But this is really a good non cryptic message without the need to decypher. He's right it is expensive to paint that. Don't worry super, very open ended remark. It's not squashing the possibility of offering the package. It's one of those can't confirm nor deny remarks. Just not in the works. The imediate Goal of GM is to have a very successful launch of the Camaro. Marketing has to take it's course. A year after there should be some extra options. Might be a while but they have to see how many people will actually want that paint scheme in order to put it into production. There's not a large percentage of cars that are specially ordered. So just be patient... Hey I want a Bumblebee paint job too.

I'd be willing to pay. I kinda figured there would be a huge cost. I've got my dicast to match the color with. It seems to be the right color. But I'll be repainting my Camaro anyway. I think I'll match the color as close as I can. Then I'll paint on a very dark metalic grey, like a dark gun metal instead of black just to give it a gotta-be-me type look for the stripes.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:36 AM   #30
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
A reverse color combo on a black Camaro would look really cool....I feel a photoshop coming on!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:56 PM   #31
RB43TD
Me Likey My Camaro

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 1LT/RS Camaro
Quote:

There will be three cars specially painted (not at the plant) to fulfill the Transformers Contest.

Ladies and Gentlemen -- the cost of the Bumblebee paint alone approaches what some of you would be willing to pay....that does not include any prep or the painting itself -- or cleanup --
I'm confused then. We've seen comments from CamaroScotty that there is a Bumblebee edition coming out and that this was announced in the information received 07/21. Am I missing something here?
Old 08-16-2008, 06:12 PM   #32
NOODLESgoneWILD
IS IT 2009 YET???

Drives: '05 Z51 Black Vette & '06 H2
Send a message via MSN to NOODLESgoneWILD
Quote:

Ya im sure the paint alone would be in the 3 to 4k range...then disassemble/prep/paint/color sand/touch-up/clear coat('s)/reassemble...Labor/ect.ect

This is a 8k to 10k paint job if done correctly...And neither you nor I would want anything than the best for my / your Camaro!!!
Old 08-16-2008, 06:19 PM   #33
BitchinCamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Here is the quote from the chat
Quote:
wareagle900: Will there be any other color choices? bumblebee perhaps?
JohnFitzpatrick: We have 10 colors available for the Camaro. Go to Chevy.com/Camaro under "gallery" to view available colors. Regarding Bumblebee, stay tuned...
BitchinCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:26 PM   #34
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOODLESgoneWILD View Post
Ya im sure the paint alone would be in the 3 to 4k range...then disassemble/prep/paint/color sand/touch-up/clear coat('s)/reassemble...Labor/ect.ect

This is a 8k to 10k paint job if done correctly...And neither you nor I would want anything than the best for my / your Camaro!!!
I posted a solution to this in another thread.. GM advertises a limited time package (3 months) on TV ads that must be placed thru the dealers just like they do with any number of limited edition lines. Let's say the price of paint alone for each is $3-$4 thousand, then if GM in a three month period gets 40,000 or more orders, they stop allowing newer orders and they buy that amount of paint and add it to a particular line and complete the orders. This way painting the car costs no more than any other regular paint clear-coat. The extra cost would be in painting the stripe separately which they could forgo by using black vinyl and have the dealer install it. That way if the buyer wants to get the stripes painted, they get someone else to do it or they have to get the vinyl which the dealer will charge for the installation if you choose it. This is a win win situation for GM as they get a limited run and they get free advertising as more Bumblebee's are on the road with the accurate films color..

Remember that already included in the cost of the car is a paint job and polishing from factory so why pay for it twice along with a disassembly of the car. (that's where the costs skyrockets to $10,000). If GM does it, it is just the cost of the paint (which as we know runs in the $3 -$4K range and GM could get a discount buying in bulk from Valspar..) in other words if they choose to use this method I describe above and do get lots of orders which I think they most definitely will, it is very doable and GM comes out winning in the end...
Old 08-16-2008, 07:21 PM   #35
NOODLESgoneWILD
IS IT 2009 YET???

Drives: '05 Z51 Black Vette & '06 H2
Send a message via MSN to NOODLESgoneWILD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I posted a solution to this in another thread.. GM advertises a limited time package (3 months) on TV ads that must be placed thru the dealers just like they do with any number of limited edition lines. Let's say the price of paint alone for each is $3-$4 thousand, then if GM in a three month period gets 40,000 or more orders, they stop allowing newer orders and they buy that amount of paint and add it to a particular line and complete the orders. This way painting the car costs no more than any other regular paint clear-coat. The extra cost would be in painting the stripe separately which they could forgo by using black vinyl and have the dealer install it. That way if the buyer wants to get the stripes painted, they get someone else to do it or they have to get the vinyl which the dealer will charge for the installation if you choose it. This is a win win situation for GM as they get a limited run and they get free advertising as more Bumblebee's are on the road with the accurate films color..

Remember that already included in the cost of the car is a paint job and polishing from factory so why pay for it twice along with a disassembly of the car. (that's where the costs skyrockets to $10,000). If GM does it, it is just the cost of the paint (which as we know runs in the $3 -$4K range and GM could get a discount buying in bulk from Valspar..) in other words if they choose to use this method I describe above and do get lots of orders which I think they most definitely will, it is very doable and GM comes out winning in the end...
I totally agree with you...if its done from the MFG, and in limited size of say 10k to 15k units a year...it would be half the price.

But if you want an after market (Quality) paint job, thats custom (not original color), your going to pay thru the nose!.....PERIOD!!!!
Old 08-16-2008, 09:28 PM   #36
Supermans

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOODLESgoneWILD View Post
I totally agree with you...if its done from the MFG, and in limited size of say 10k to 15k units a year...it would be half the price.

But if you want an after market (Quality) paint job, thats custom (not original color), your going to pay thru the nose!.....PERIOD!!!!
It doesn't even have to be limited in size. They could allow dealers to take a certain amount of orders and have a goal to reach in numbers. Once that is reached, they stop allowing new orders to take place and they can figure out a deal with Valspar on getting the paint and do it themselves on one of the lines.. It could be 30,000 or more orders and then they know exactly how many to fulfill. Once it is done, they switch it back to whatever color it was before.. It would be less than half the price by the way if done this way if you consider the deal GM will get in a discount buying so much paint in bulk and the cost of painting will be no different than it is normally which is already factored in to the cost of the car.....
Old 08-16-2008, 10:03 PM   #37
69copo
Sorry officer

Drives: CTS/V 2SS/RS Collector
Send a message via Yahoo to 69copo
I just have a question and it may be a stupid one but why does it have to be Valspar paint? I understand that what was used on the concept/Bumblebee cars but do you really think the general public will know that. I'm sure that PPG or DuPont can match it or come so close that knowone will know the difference. I'm thinking that could be an option. But I'm still keeping mine black with the 68 style bumblebee stripe. I will be removing the GM chicklet and replacing it with a similar sized Autobot logo. Just to keep mine unique.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:35 AM   #38
Supermans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69copo View Post
I just have a question and it may be a stupid one but why does it have to be Valspar paint? I understand that what was used on the concept/Bumblebee cars but do you really think the general public will know that. I'm sure that PPG or DuPont can match it or come so close that knowone will know the difference. I'm thinking that could be an option. But I'm still keeping mine black with the 68 style bumblebee stripe. I will be removing the GM chicklet and replacing it with a similar sized Autobot logo. Just to keep mine unique.
I've said all along if they could match it, then great, even better since it would be cheaper overall. However using the original paint is better...

Last edited by Supermans; 08-17-2008 at 12:56 AM.
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:47 AM   #39
blaSSt

Drives: 98 SS, 15 COPO, 09 ZR1
How many commenters have seen bumblebee in person? Both inside under lights and outside under sun?

That cannot be easily matched. It cannot be duplicated for $3000-$4000.

If you want a bumblebee look alike, win the contest or order velocity yellow with cyber gray stripes and call it a day.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:36 PM   #40
Supermans

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaSSt View Post
How many commenters have seen bumblebee in person? Both inside under lights and outside under sun?

That cannot be easily matched. It cannot be duplicated for $3000-$4000.

If you want a bumblebee look alike, win the contest or order velocity yellow with cyber gray stripes and call it a day.
The paint does cost around $3,000 to $4,000 and GM could get it for less. Painting the car would be no different than painting with any other color..
Old 08-17-2008, 09:50 PM   #41
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
The paint does cost around $3,000 to $4,000 and GM could get it for less. Painting the car would be no different than painting with any other color..
Wrong... unlike jewel tints and pure colors, the bumble bee color is a metallic pearlescent ("candy") color. It will require AT LEAST 2 curing periods, one in between base color and the metallic, and then another between the base/metallic and the candy. You can't do that on a production line. SO in order for GM to do this they need to circumvent the entire production process at the paint booth. Anytime you go outside the process in a manufacturing plant you accrue cost and it ISN'T cheap.

The bumble bee paint job just isn't going to happen from the factory. If your willing to drop the dough on it find a reputable shop, fork over your wallet and car, and prepare for a good month or two downtime.

Now decals, maybe a special steering wheel cap or center caps on the wheels, heck even a numbered badge or custom stripe color I can see. BUT NOT a complicated expensive paint job.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:48 AM   #42
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
I love the bumblebee look but no way am I paying $4k extra for paint.

I'm hoping the rally yellow is more yellow-orange than lemon yellow. Some photos make it look really good.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote