Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-30-2015, 10:17 PM   #1
vonrebel

Drives: 2021 2SS 1le Shock
JL Stealthbox JL 12"

JL Audio Stealthbox, Now that i have had time to listen to and make adjustment to this sub. I have re written my review.

As it turns out, The Stealthbox is heavy and larger than expected but in a good way, that it's not a cheap shitty little light weight box. I thought it might be small. Perfect fit! (fitment couldn't be better). A High Quality build on the fiberglass box, easy to install/ easily mounted with the supplied bracket, to secure it in place, 1 bolt. Best of all A HUGE SPACE SAVER !!! You will retain almost all of your trunks useable space, 85-90% of it, and the stealthbox sounds Great.

IMHO It's more than enough volume and thump, to completely fill up the camaro. on an Average build. This sub has a good hit in your chest, when playing bass music. At first wasn't sure the stealthbox was doing it's job well, untill we turned on the XM radio, and played some better quality music, it really kicks and gets down low. Don't hesitate to purchase the stealthbox, if you want your trunk space, and an Great Sub.
Attached Images

A10, Navigation, Sunroof, Illuminated bow tie, 30% tint, GM Splash guards, GM Strut brace, GM CAI, Illuminated foot wells, Wicker bill, BLK GM Camaro fender badge, GM Fuel door w/ Carbon fiber inserts.

Last edited by vonrebel; 02-04-2015 at 12:55 AM.
vonrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:23 PM   #2
vonrebel

Drives: 2021 2SS 1le Shock
The amp mounted perfectly under the rear dash between the two rear speakers. The Local Stereo shop did and excellent job with the install, i couldn't be happier, if your in the KC area i highly recommend ***** .
Attached Images

A10, Navigation, Sunroof, Illuminated bow tie, 30% tint, GM Splash guards, GM Strut brace, GM CAI, Illuminated foot wells, Wicker bill, BLK GM Camaro fender badge, GM Fuel door w/ Carbon fiber inserts.

Last edited by vonrebel; 02-01-2015 at 02:45 AM.
vonrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:11 AM   #3
Ludasmith

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Looks great!
Ludasmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:28 AM   #4
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Nice and clean (the trunk mat looks a little 'off' with the trimming to fit on the left, but what can you do)...

There's a lot of duplicate photos (?).
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:14 PM   #5
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
This is just my experience and opinion, but I think it's going to be quite difficult to get the "chest punch" you are looking for without doing dual 12's with a lot of power. The only single-sub setup that I experienced a nice chest punch with was when I had a Rockford Fosgate Power Series T1D215 15" sub in my car with around 1500W on it.

Maybe look into a single JL Audio 13W7 in one of the JL High-Output boxes (or a custom fab one that is same specs). Again, they take a lot of power.

That's just my experience and opinion, and I might be totally wrong, but I though I'd share anyway.

Best of luck!
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:09 PM   #6
kc690

Drives: 2014 Crystal Red ZL-1
vonrebel,
I have a 2014 factory mylink output to a Mosconi 6 to 8. From there is goes to a 900/5 and off to focal krx2s front and back and the same JL stealthbox single 12w6v3 you have. The sound quality from a professional tune on the Mosconi with those speakers and amp are as good as any fully aftermarket system using the most expensive Alpine, Eclipse, Kenwood or Denon head unit I have had over the last 20 or so years. The output from the sub is as very loud. The sound and feeling in the chest is there even when the sub is barely moving, let alone when it starts displacing over an inch. I just wanted to let you know what I am experiencing with a similar setup as you. maybe there is some hope. Enjoy
kc690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:39 PM   #7
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I've tried older version of 12w6. Back in 2010, I had a HD750 installed and was testing subs. Shop let me a some generic sealed boxes to try a couple days. Two main ones were a single 12w6 and a generic dual 10(can't remember which JL series, but not w6). I was trying to an idea between the JL stealth 12 or triple 10.

The 12 was similar to your experience. I expected that. I tried the dual 10 and of course, mid bass was better, but couldnt compare with 12 for low frequency and air movement in general. The dual 10w6 would've have been a better comparison.

I ordered the triple 10w3 stealth based on the numbers and I didn't want a low freq rumble vibrating the car. Needed more mid bass punch. I figured the triple 10s would push more air, handle more power, and have more mid bass punch. I prefer sealed over ported subs. I have an old Velodyne DD12 for home theater so kinda knew what to expect.

The triple 10 does not fit your requirements for trunk functionality, but does have that punch you'd probably like. Much better than the 12w6 single in a large trunk enclosure. The 900/5 may be overtaxed too.

The biggest problem is keeping my rear view mirror from sagging under bass notes. I have LT and FI so car is already loud. I wasn't looking for reference audio quality, but the space fitment, performance and aesthetics meet my goals.

It was a close decision between the 12 and 10s. If I needed the pass through, I probably would have compromised and gone with the 12. The JL stealth are small for the size and make optimal use of space, but I won't deny you could save money by going with other custom solutions. The 10s are PITA to pull so I leave them in, even when autox. Now, I'm thinking about going back to the stealth 12. The new 12w6 are rubber surround, too. Life is funny... Btw, Nice pics.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:34 AM   #8
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I disconnected the center speaker and used the OE with the sub for a couple months. Then, I got impatient and wanting more. I bought some C2 separates for the front after hearing it in the sound room. It was alright and inexpensive(cheap). Told myself I won't do crazy systems that I did back in the 80s and 90s. Installed it and began to hate it, but couldn't return them. So I threw them in the back and bought C5s, and a XD400. Thought about the HD600/4, but kept myself in check.

So the stock speakers are good for a cheap upgrade from the dealer. Got me by for half a year. I got great pricing for all the JL, so it didn't hurt the pocket book as much... Been running the system for over 4 years. Can dim the headlights with LOUD bass notes at night at idle and slightly above.

Thought about DC Power and dual batteries, but started to autoX.
https://www.dcpowerinc.com/fit/Chevr...86-250-xp.html

Dual batteries is out, but still thinking about the alternator. Then again, I want to salvage my hearing for my 2-ch system at home.

The C5/C2, stealth 3x10, XD400 and HD750 are great. Amps are hidden in the rear side panels, sub is shallow to allow decent trunk usage, and can pound when I get in the mood. Yet meets my expectations for easy listening vocals and jazz.

Got reminiscent and dug up some old CD mixes "We like the cars that go Boom" and some 2 Live Crew. Wife hates when I plays these oldies but goodies.

If you're still using stock satellites, give it time... you'll begin to hate them.

Remember, there's always something better... or thinks it's worth the money. Ever heard the Macintosh car audio line? LOL
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote