Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 06-27-2012, 02:13 AM   #1
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Drag 60' Experts!

I'm looking for some help on decreasing my 60' times. I run a 2.4-2.6 60' consistently. I have a v6 Auto Camaro with bf goodrich all seasons. No suspension mods and a few minor bolt ons.

Anyone have any ideas to what could help me lower my 60' times?

P.S. I don't believe I get any wheel hop or anything like that since it seems like I launch really well everytime but I want those times down

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:53 AM   #2
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
I'm looking for some help on decreasing my 60' times. I run a 2.4-2.6 60' consistently. I have a v6 Auto Camaro with bf goodrich all seasons. No suspension mods and a few minor bolt ons.

P.S. I don't believe I get any wheel hop or anything like that since it seems like I launch really well everytime but I want those times down
What is the best 60' time you can find for a car that is similar to yours...A6 on street tires with similar power? Compare that first to see how far you are off if any.

60' time is about two things..power and traction.
RPM Level 7 4L80e + Coan Converter
Hendrix 9" Rear Axle + 3.50 Gear
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Fore Fuel System, Bogarts + Hoosier Slicks
Pfadt Drag Pack Suspension
My Build Thread | Best Pass To Date
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:21 AM   #3
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
How are you launching? I found I got my best time by "flashing" the torque converter. Basically I would only raise the RPMs to just above idle, and then when you are ready to launch, simple let of the brake (with your left foot) and smash the gas (with the right)... I would leave traction control on and watch to see if the TC light starts flashing, indicating that you are spinning... Also what PSI are your running in your tires?
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:22 AM   #4
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post

Can you tell us a little more about your staging routine like wet or dry burn out, and your typical reaction time? Are you spinning at launch?

Btw I am no expert at this. Just trying to help and learn myself

Last edited by Southern Comfort; 06-27-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
My guess is those all season tires aren't helping much.

But I would gently roll into the gas. To launch just hold the car (close to idle rpms) in place with the brake. Then to launch just roll (do not floor the gas) into the gas.

You can roll slowly at first (to test for traction). If your tires are hooking, then you can speed up how quickly you roll into the gas.

If your pulling 2.4 sec 60' times you're spinning too much. So you need to get off the line more gently (thus the roll into the gas).
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
Scott 78

Drives: 2014 SIM SS 6M
I've got the exact same setup and at the track I was getting consistent 2.2 60'.
The way I was launching was Turn off all nannies Put it in manual mode (For fun), No burnout. Once the car was staged I would bring the RPM up to about 3200. From that point I could just floor it with no wheel spin. The biggest thing I learned was to leave on the third yellow not the green.
Hope this helps a little.
Scott 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
tires, tires, tires, tires
Old 06-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Stall converter and V8 limited slip diff. The TC will improve 1/4 mile times by .4-.5 seconds by itself if you have traction.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
bad55nomad

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS A6 Inferno Orange
I agree with Sc2150 get a converter . Dropped my 60 by .3 and the 1/4 mile by .7
bad55nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Stall converter and V8 limited slip diff. The TC will improve 1/4 mile times by .4-.5 seconds by itself if you have traction.
I'm curious about drag racing as well, and would like to learn more. I want to have fun at the track when it starts to cool down a bit in Fall. So, when drag racing our Camaro's, it's better to leave traction control and stability track activated?

Some threads are misleading, as there are people who say leaving traction control and/or stability track active will hinder 1/4 mile times, while others say it improves times. It seems like you have tons of drag experience under your belt , so I'd like to hear your expert opinion on the matter. Thanks a ton Tracy.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
Southern Comfort

So...,

OP - are you talking about mods like converters or just how to make what you have work?
Old 06-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Just how to make what I have better. I'm pretty good with the tree. When I'm trying to test for traction, I usually cut a .2 reaction time. But when I'm really trying for that perfect run I cut .05 reaction times consistently.

I usually raise the rpms to 1000 and launch with all the nannies on. I dont burnout. Should I?

I have about 34 psi in the tires. I've been told it wont help if i lower it but I could be wrong.

I'm planning on new tires but i wanted to know what i could improve on. The ipf supercharged car cuts a 1.8 60 ft with the same wheels and tires so I just assume its possible to improve.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
Quick

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th
Who ever it was that told you lowering your air pressure would'nt help...lied to you.

drop them down to 25-28 psi and see for yourself. I can run 1.92- 1.94 short lights all day long on stock p-zero's.

Something wicked this way cometh...
Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #14
Southern Comfort

If you are spinning then perhaps your tires are simply shot. As a starting point lower psi to about 30 and /or heat the tires. Stay out of the water. You might get better with even lower pressure, but then the car will start to float around on the big end.

If you are not spinning, then TC off & ST off.

Other than that, drop some weight, or add power. Note you would have to drop hundreds of pounds to see much difference. A lighter wheel & tire package will help.

Finally, I dont think it's a fair comparison to size up a NA and FI car. Most of that difference is simply power that shows up after the launch and track conditions.