Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 02-05-2014, 08:00 PM   #29
Mattyandi

Drives: None yet
Built not bought!
Mattyandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:04 PM   #30
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
My 1LE (2SS; RS; NPP; premium audio) add the chiller kit; drop springs; tint; full TVS build with all supporting mods; parts and labor and tuning; all other small cosmetic mods etc....my build is easy 2-3K less than than a BASE ZL1....200lbs lighter and has 75-80 more WHP on a fairly conservative tune.

By conservative I mean:
-boost is 10lbs but sometimes 11 and touches 12lbs in cold weather
-AF is lean...pretty much 10 until high RPMs
-we lowered stock redline to 6400 bc of boost levels

*disclaimer...I'm getting retuned in a couple few weeks to improve AF (11.6ish)and possibly lower boost and still maybe get more performance/better #s

At the end of the day...I WANTED the ZL1 bad but IMO I'm way better off for the money (minus the warranty going bye bye)
You said you lowered the redline to 6400 due to Boost levels. What is the stock redline, i thought it was around 6400.
I have a stock 1LE and the only thing I hate is the redline which seems to be around 6400. I would prefer the engine could approach 6800 to 7000 rpm.

Jim
Jims Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:30 PM   #31
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post
You said you lowered the redline to 6400 due to Boost levels. What is the stock redline, i thought it was around 6400.
I have a stock 1LE and the only thing I hate is the redline which seems to be around 6400. I would prefer the engine could approach 6800 to 7000 rpm.

Jim
Curious why you'd want redline at 7k or so. When I've dynod I've seen a rapid decrease in rwhp starting at 6400. Between 6200k and 7k rpm your probably looking at a steady 50 rwhp loss. Peak seems to be between 5500 and 6200 followed by a rapid drop off
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #32
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:

Jim
LS3s peg the limiter @ 6600 rpms. The tach might not keep up when accelerating, though...
Old 02-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #33
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
I should have been clearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
Curious why you'd want redline at 7k or so. When I've dynod I've seen a rapid decrease in rwhp starting at 6400. Between 6200k and 7k rpm your probably looking at a steady 50 rwhp loss. Peak seems to be between 5500 and 6200 followed by a rapid drop off

Yes the way the LS3 is now and after many HP improvements the power does fall off after 6300 or less.

I would like my build when I do it to not only increase HP, but shift the curve to achieve good HP up to 6800 t0 7000 RPM.
I personally believe if you can keep making power longer and shift later then you will often have better acceleration overall especially in the lower gears.

I believe that is one of the advantages the Mustang has over our cars.

It also seems that if I don't shift when the heads up display hits no more than 6200 it goes into governing mode. Annoying.

Just my opinion

Would one of those shift lights help?

Jim
Jims Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #34
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

Drives: 2018 Summit White ZL1 1LE
The biggest problem you have with a PD Force Induction 1LE is the traction with so much low end torque. The car becomes extremely tail happy. Even with traction control fully on, the car will step out in 3rd gear in warm weather around mild corners on the power. You can go about 30-40 degrees rotated out of line it happens so fast, before the traction control catches you. What you also get with the ZL1 is a properly functioning traction control system as well that is more suited to the power.
1LE Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #35
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE Red Dragon View Post
The biggest problem you have with a PD Force Induction 1LE is the traction with so much low end torque. The car becomes extremely tail happy. Even with traction control fully on, the car will step out in 3rd gear in warm weather around mild corners on the power. You can go about 30-40 degrees rotated out of line it happens so fast, before the traction control catches you. What you also get with the ZL1 is a properly functioning traction control system as well that is more suited to the power.
Great point. At big power levels death can come quickly. With big power even going straight is a challenge for the novice. I have seen that and kissing the wall without injury is a good life lesson.

But wouldn't you agree that going centrifugal or single turbo the HP rush is not so abrupt at low rpms if the HP numbers are sane? This kind of power is more manageable and also is much easier on the drive train.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:47 AM   #36
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
It also seems that if I don't shift when the heads up display hits no more than 6200 it goes into governing mode. Annoying.

Just my opinion

Would one of those shift lights help?

Jim
Yes! I love mine and it's a 15 minute install. Works best at night. But without it shift with the tach, not the hud. It's seems more accurate, but not as good as a light. A loud beep would be nice. My ETs are much more consistent now. I wish the light could help my 60'.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #37
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Do you know your cars exact weight before blower install. I am tempted to add a blower as well but don't want to ruin my cornering balance I have now. My car is now way too neutral.
Have you considered the AGP setup?

Weight is low where the frame basically is, and near the firewall, as opposed to a blower adding the weight up front and high(not good at all for CG).
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote