Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-30-2009, 03:50 PM   #71
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by manimsoblack View Post
If my vote counted i'd say scrap that or make it something else. The G8 would make a better regal IMO.
Insignia is everything a Buick should be. Refined, comfortable, luxurious, and FWD. Throw a RWD sports sedan in there like the G8 and you'll have another brand identity crisis like Pontiac.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:17 PM   #72
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
No disrespect intended but you are dead wrong, The G8 did not do as well as expected because GM made a classical mistake of makeing the V8 a truly standout awesome trim level, But the V6 was flat-out not competive in todays market. The V6 started at about 28 grand, had virtually the same fuel economy as the V8, and less Horsepower and feul economy than the imports and the tauras (Accord and Camry). When gas spiked up to $4.50 a gallon the V6 simply was not good enough. GM learn there lesson with the camaro that the V6 sales keep V8s alive. If GM gave G8 the Camaros V6 powertrain and Advertise the V6 as a 300+hp yet more fuel efficient sports sedan with plenty of room to boot, I think things would have been different. Also notice the advertising, it is almost 100% towards the V8. The G8 was going to get the 3.6 D.I. V6 and 6 spd trannys for the 2010 MY but Oh well, If the V8 is a BMW 550i at half the price, the V6 G8 could have been a more affordible Bmw 535i.
I think the problem of having a poor V6 version at nearly the same price as an awesome V8 version was a big part of the problem. Someone at my school drives a V6 G8, and I just can't figure out why anyone wouldn't pay the thousand or so extra dollars for a vastly better model.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:16 PM   #73
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

Photoshops done by camaro_freak on GMI.

Thats a good looking car !

Better looking than the G8 IMO .

How nice would it be to have a RWD chevy that races on Sunday and be for sale on Monday , the good ole boys would love it !
Old 04-30-2009, 05:38 PM   #74
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
The G8 is a great handling car, but try reclining the front seats...... someone forgot ergonomics 101 when they designed the seatback recliners for this car.

Seriously. It's awfull. And there are plenty of people in this world vein enough to base their car buying decision on something small, trite, and unimportant (to us) as that.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:41 PM   #75
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
What are the recliners in the G8 like? Can't be any worse than the dial in my VW. It looks like an adjuster for lumbar support but it's for reclining. The lever that looks like it's for reclining adjusts the seat bottom's height instead.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:57 PM   #76
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Quote:
Insignia is everything a Buick should be. Refined, comfortable, luxurious, and FWD. Throw a RWD sports sedan in there like the G8 and you'll have another brand identity crisis like Pontiac.
No deal!!! FWD, Noooooo!! There was no Identity crisis. it was that the V6 was not up to par compared to the competition. Aslo you havce to think big picture, Buicks sell like crazy in China, a luxurious RWD Buick is perciesly what they need.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:02 PM   #77
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
No, what he's saying is RWD Buick could conflict with the distinction between Cadillac and Buick. And Pontiac's identity crisis was every car that wasn't the G8 or Solstice. Everything they had besides those two cars was the antithesis of "excitement". In the luxury segment, Buick is more sensible, luxurious, and tame while Caddy is wilder and more performance oriented. I'm not saying the G8 as a Buick would ruin that, but it also isn't quintessentially Buick either. I could go either way here.

shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:27 AM   #78
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
Quote:
yeah yeah... but it would be so goood. Maybe give it some smoother buick like lines. but that's too damn god of a car to just kill off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
No, what he's saying is RWD Buick could conflict with the distinction between Cadillac and Buick. And Pontiac's identity crisis was every car that wasn't the G8 or Solstice. Everything they had besides those two cars was the antithesis of "excitement". In the luxury segment, Buick is more sensible, luxurious, and tame while Caddy is wilder and more performance oriented. I'm not saying the G8 as a Buick would ruin that, but it also isn't quintessentially Buick either. I could go either way here.
Since the GNX and more recently the Regal LS/GS were tame ... w/ the DI 3.6 in the G8 and a really tall last couple gears (i think i'm still trying to understand gearing) you could advertise the great gas mileage and performance, comfort and overall badassery. The GS was advertised as the car for the supercharged family and i swear i see at least 20 of those a day at least as many as rustangs. Maybe step back on the engines make the gt the highest model and the DI 3.6 the base.
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #79
TT C6
Banned

Drives: C6, 96 383ci Z28 hardtop
The automotive press and the public are aware of how great the Zeta sedan is and is calling for it to be saved.
Just look at the articles and the public response already.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/05/01/r...ies-g8-gt-cou/

What can we do to save the Zeat sedan?
TT C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #80
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT C6 View Post
The automotive press and the public are aware of how great the Zeta sedan is and is calling for it to be saved.
Just look at the articles and the public response already.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/05/01/r...ies-g8-gt-cou/

What can we do to save the Zeat sedan?
If Zeta makes it into a single Cadillac, the platform itself and all future iterations of it just had their 'safe' rating shoot WAY high up. I like it...
Old 05-04-2009, 10:51 PM   #81
TT C6
Banned

Drives: C6, 96 383ci Z28 hardtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
If Zeta makes it into a single Cadillac, the platform itself and all future iterations of it just had their 'safe' rating shoot WAY high up. I like it...
CHEVY needs a Zeta sedan.
The middle east already gets a Lumina SS (Pontiac G8 clone).
The US needs the same.
TT C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:55 PM   #82
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
There's a rumor going around that this is all going to happen...G8 production starting up at Oshawa, only badged as a Chevy...

Then again, it is just a rumor.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:58 PM   #83
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
There's a rumor going around that this is all going to happen...G8 production starting up at Oshawa, only badged as a Chevy...

BRILLIANT!
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:05 AM   #84
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Quote:

I also have heard this rumour... from salespeople at a Pontiac dealer near me!