Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #99
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Having said that, the ZL1 uses the exact same radius bush used on the Camaro since they started building them on 2009. EP6579 inserts have the exact same impact on a ZL1 as they have had since 2009. Less dynamic caster change equals more on center more accurate steering.

Drive a Z hard in the corner and you feel the same rear end step out you felt in your SS. The EP1200 sub-frame inserts combined with the Z IRS improvements deliver comparable stability to the full replacement EP1201HDs.

Bars are bars, kick up the rear bar strength in relation to the front bar and the car becomes more neutral. With the improved balance in the Z the increase in bar size coupled with lots of front and rear negative camber deliver ridiculous levels of cornering capabilities.

My prediction ZL1 is sustained 1.4 G road course turns on street tires.
1.4 G. Holy cow. You will need velcro strips on the seats.

Now I am not knocking the stock ZL1, but sloppy steering, rear step out, and understeer? Disappointing it needs roughly the same mods as an SS. But of course it will destroy the SS at the track stock.

Would it be wrong to think the 1LE will be in the same boat?

What about wheel hop on the ZL1? Does it come cured?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #100
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
1.4 G. Holy cow. You will need velcro strips on the seats.

Now I am not knocking the stock ZL1, but sloppy steering, rear step out, and understeer? Disappointing it needs roughly the same mods as an SS. But of course it will destroy the SS at the track stock.

Would it be wrong to think the 1LE will be in the same boat?

What about wheel hop on the ZL1? Does it come cured?
Sloppy is a relative term. If you have never driven a Pedderised Z you would think the Z is the best Camaro ever and it is damn good!

Many cars mount the IRS or AWD sub-frame to the monocoque with rubber bushes. Rear end step out is common to this range of vehicles. WRX sub-frame bushes are movers for Pedders AU Dealers. Some very fine German automobiles are prone to rear end step out.

Fluid damped radius bushes and voided radius bushes are a balance of NVH vs Control. My clients use the loud pedal so frequently they would never notice a slight increase in cabin resonance from radius bush or sub-frame inserts. What the do notice is the increase in car control.

Keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of Muscle Car Enthusiast have no idea their pride and joy does this or that when driven to 10/10ths because they will never see that range of operation. I am speaking to the minority of performance drivers that want the absolute sharpest edge on their knife. These are the same people that don't care if their tires are worn out from a radical optimal performance alignment in the same time as the next oil change comes around.

The ZL1 ran the Ring in a stunning 7 minutes and 40 seconds by my memory. The ZR1 Vette is only 22 seconds faster. While 22 seconds is an eternity on track, a ZR1 is one of the finest performance cars on the road. My guess is that with the Pedders ZL1 Track I (lowering coils, sways, radius and sub-frame bush inserts along with a Pedders ZL1 spec alignment would shave 6 to 8 seconds of the Ring time. Change the ZL1 wheels and tires to Pedders preferred 305/30/19s all around, my custom brake pads from Colbalt Friction and we are within 10 seconds or less of a ZR1 on the Ring. Add a pulley and tune from my friends at LPE or ARD and we would slot between the Z06 Carbon and the ZR1 in a car that costs far less and has room for four people.

I have yet to experience wheel hop in a ZL1. I have watched a large number of drag strip launches on the OEM GYs and a variety of DRs and not seen a single hop. I consider it cured.

The 1LE will most likely be very similar to the ZL1.

It is also worth noting that there isn't a single car I have driven that I didn't feel could be made better. Not one and that ranges from the smallest (Fiat 500) to the pure sex on wheels Ferrari (can you believe a professional athlete tossed me the keys to an Enzo ).

No matter how you choose to evaluate a bone stock ZL1 it is a remarkable automobile. Pedderised it is better
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #101
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Hmmmm......
Old 05-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #102
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst equipped View Post
nice pics... like 2 boxers looking in their eyes before the fight..
vs
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Yup... that will work...

Now you just need to get the keys from Becky and use her car for comparisons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

I'm screwed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Me too... I wanted to be the stock one
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #103
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Sloppy is a relative term. If you have never driven a Pedderised Z you would think the Z is the best Camaro ever and it is damn good!

Many cars mount the IRS or AWD sub-frame to the monocoque with rubber bushes. Rear end step out is common to this range of vehicles. WRX sub-frame bushes are movers for Pedders AU Dealers. Some very fine German automobiles are prone to rear end step out.

Fluid damped radius bushes and voided radius bushes are a balance of NVH vs Control. My clients use the loud pedal so frequently they would never notice a slight increase in cabin resonance from radius bush or sub-frame inserts. What the do notice is the increase in car control.

Keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of Muscle Car Enthusiast have no idea their pride and joy does this or that when driven to 10/10ths because they will never see that range of operation. I am speaking to the minority of performance drivers that want the absolute sharpest edge on their knife. These are the same people that don't care if their tires are worn out from a radical optimal performance alignment in the same time as the next oil change comes around.

The ZL1 ran the Ring in a stunning 7 minutes and 40 seconds by my memory. The ZR1 Vette is only 22 seconds faster. While 22 seconds is an eternity on track, a ZR1 is one of the finest performance cars on the road. My guess is that with the Pedders ZL1 Track I (lowering coils, sways, radius and sub-frame bush inserts along with a Pedders ZL1 spec alignment would shave 6 to 8 seconds of the Ring time. Change the ZL1 wheels and tires to Pedders preferred 305/30/19s all around, my custom brake pads from Colbalt Friction and we are within 10 seconds or less of a ZR1 on the Ring. Add a pulley and tune from my friends at LPE or ARD and we would slot between the Z06 Carbon and the ZR1 in a car that costs far less and has room for four people.

I have yet to experience wheel hop in a ZL1. I have watched a large number of drag strip launches on the OEM GYs and a variety of DRs and not seen a single hop. I consider it cured.

The 1LE will most likely be very similar to the ZL1.

It is also worth noting that there isn't a single car I have driven that I didn't feel could be made better. Not one and that ranges from the smallest (Fiat 500) to the pure sex on wheels Ferrari (can you believe a professional athlete tossed me the keys to an Enzo ).

No matter how you choose to evaluate a bone stock ZL1 it is a remarkable automobile. Pedderised it is better
I get your point. Manufacturers have to make some compromises. I hope to get a chance to drive a ZL1 at some point. They sound like fun. But an Enzo is a dream drive.

The understeer saves us from ourselves and minimizing NVH is a priority that causes the other issues. But the rear step out was apparent to me on the drive home from the dealer. I was thinking of taking my SS back to the dealer to get checked out. Then I read more about the car I bought and found out that is what the Camaro does.

It drove me crazy until it finally was fixed. And even though I had hard cradle and differential bushings installed, it wasn't until I installed the outer trailing arm bushings that the last of it was gone. But my bushings squeak. Just another thing to drive me crazy.

I do like that you are saying the inserts are enough for the ZL1. It's an easier install. I hope the 1LE is the same. Inserts don't squeak.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #104
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I think I'm still going with full subframe bushings. More of my time will be on the strip than anything, and I want Gravedigger absolutely locked down

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #105
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I get your point. Manufacturers have to make some compromises. I hope to get a chance to drive a ZL1 at some point. They sound like fun. But an Enzo is a dream drive.

The understeer saves us from ourselves and minimizing NVH is a priority that causes the other issues. But the rear step out was apparent to me on the drive home from the dealer. I was thinking of taking my SS back to the dealer to get checked out. Then I read more about the car I bought and found out that is what the Camaro does.

It drove me crazy until it finally was fixed. And even though I had hard cradle and differential bushings installed, it wasn't until I installed the outer trailing arm bushings that the last of it was gone. But my bushings squeak. Just another thing to drive me crazy.

I do like that you are saying the inserts are enough for the ZL1. It's an easier install. I hope the 1LE is the same. Inserts don't squeak.
The harder the urethane, the more likely the bush is to squeak. When you have time try lubricating the bush like this.

Never like this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I think I'm still going with full subframe bushings. More of my time will be on the strip than anything, and I want Gravedigger absolutely locked down
radz28 I would never steer you the wrong way. The inserts are going to do the job. With the time and money you save using the inserts we'll install steel jacketed bushes in one end of the trailing arm and urethane on the other. You will be good to go.

BTW, have you set a goal for RWHP?
Old 06-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #106
JusticePete