Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-05-2008, 09:15 AM   #15
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindingillusion View Post
Well, here is the deal. The Z28 is a classic Camaro Option. I personally put my money on the SS being the top end selection but it having a Z28 "package" that will give you a few custom things and a few upgrades on top of it. (similar to the BULLIT package on the Mustang GT)

Other than that, your TOP NY dealer is probably blowing smoke up your ass. 90% of the time dealers know less than fanatics like us.

One more thing, I don't really appreciate your negative attitude. Insert your opinion where you may, but choose your words carefully. Quoth the Fbodfather

"Your first mistake is you crossed the family....

Your second mistake was you haven't run yet...."
+1 on just about every point here. I'm still not sure what to make of the whole Z28/SS thing however I like the post. I would almost guarantee that the dealer, as it is in MOST cases, knows less than just about everyone here. Everyone I've spoken to has been nearly worthless other than to get me the keys for my new hotrod.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:36 AM   #16
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
The fever of madness is coming as we move deeper into the year, wait till Summer. :seesaw:

At this point, I think a lot of dealers are going to start saying things but that's fine, if it makes people feel better... great! But what I don't think is cool is when they just make up things. Oh well, just be patient as hard as it is.... our day is coming boys and girls!

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:38 AM   #17
radz28
Petro-sexual

I completely agree. It still doesn't make me feel better about the speculation, but you speak the truth.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 03-05-2008, 10:09 AM   #18
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
+1

I just don't think the dealer's know as much about the car's history as we (Camaro5) do. I know we speculate a lot here. But dealers won't really know until GM tells em, just like us...

I appreciate what his dealer told him is logical. But I don't think we can say it is truth.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:35 AM   #19
Italianwhiplash

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger r/t
I just want this car, I DONT CARE IF IT COMES WITH 2 horse power haha, i would still buy this car for 40 grand.
Italianwhiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:42 AM   #20
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
People want to believe another V8 will be offered. To date, we have evidence of only 1 V8. This is not an old Camaro. This is a new Camaro. I'm delighted with the way it looks and the power we've been promised. If I decide that I want more power, then I'll add it myself.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:44 AM   #21
radz28
Petro-sexual

+2 on the two posts prior.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 03-05-2008, 12:07 PM   #22
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italianwhiplash View Post
Why, Is everyone saying that the ss or z28 Camaro is coming out later then it's street day. The last I heard the only thing hitting the street later, is the Covertable Camaro. So where did this rumor come from? I asked my dealer today and they said they never heard of such rumors and there are 4 options for the car (which i already new) 2 v6's and 2 v8's.

As one of the guys i know down there stated. Chevy offers 4 packages on all their cars. Most are the Ls, Lt,LTZ, and the SS. They have no reason to believe that there would be a 5th choice in releasing the a z28. (this is coming from the number one car dealer in ny by the way). Now the top v8 option is obviously the SS.

The last time i ever heard of such a thing was when my charger came out. I got it street day. I remember that they said the srt-8 was coming out 6 months later. But this was the only time I've ever seen this happen, and the srt-8 is the 4th option in the dodge charger line. Now Why would chevy just start randomly offering a 5th car, unless it was an indy car. (like the corvette and the dodge charger Daytona) Those are the only things that they saw happening, was a limited edition rally car as the Corvette has.

For my own two cents. it would be the worst marketing for cars of all time. What are they going to throw into this car to make it better? The only top of the line engine i could see this car running is a ls3. Nothing More, I doubt it will come supercharged, and if it does i sure as hell wouldn't want a super charged car from Chevy. There are so many better Superchargers/turbo's out there.

In the end the only other car other then the 4 models coming out , That I can see being released. Is a Limited edition Bumble bee Car (From Transformers) or a daytona like edition as the charger has. And I think it'd be great if they have a limited edition bumble bee (hint hint). Since that movie helped the car get out to the public more then what it was. Plus, If the camaro doesn't come in that yellow, I'm getting my car painted to that exact color
The chevy naming system gets thrown out the window with the Corvette, which would be the Camaro's closet relative in the Chevy lineup. The same thing can easily be done for the Camaro. Plus, I don't see there being 5 different full trims for the Camaro. There will likely be 3, with upgrade packages such as Rally Sport.

As far as engines, I haven't heard anything concrete about using 4. 3 gets mentioned over and over. the 4th engine, if it exists, would go into a limmited production ZL-1 or something like that. Having a second V6 would be a bad idea since it wouldn't get much better mileage. I think that you should look towards Mustangs rather than Chargers and Challengers for what the Camaro will have.

A source for the reason behind not having everthing at launch is because they can't build all the cars at the same time. its only 1 plant, they can only do so much. The tradition for GM is to release the lower models, then give the high performance version a few months to a year later. Pontiac is a great example of that. The G8 has base and GT, and the GXP is expected (with LS3) later in the summer. I expect the Camaro to follow this pattern, including trim levels.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #23
Emu the Foo

Drives: 92 Cadillac Sedan DeVille S/C
Send a message via AIM to Emu the Foo Send a message via Yahoo to Emu the Foo
IROC-Z FTW!!!

jk
Old 03-05-2008, 01:18 PM   #24
Italianwhiplash

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger r/t
I'm just going to wait on official word then...sigh...i guess I'll wait till summer...i mean ill get 3 months out of it before it goes into winter :-p
Italianwhiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:29 PM   #25
CBR9Seadoo

Drives: 02 Millenium Yellow Vette Conv
Send a message via AIM to CBR9Seadoo
What are you smoking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italianwhiplash View Post
I'm just going to wait on official word then...sigh...i guess I'll wait till summer...i mean ill get 3 months out of it before it goes into winter :-p
Can I have what you're smoking if you think you're going to be driving a new camaro for 3 months before the winter in 2008?

Correct me if I am wrong, but you won't be able to drive it from the show room until Feb 09.

1969 z/28 RS in Hugger Orange w/Black Stipes and Orange Houndstooth

1966 Mustang Fastback c-code 289

1988 IROC all original 34k mi

2002 Millenium Yellow Corvette Convertible - sold
1967 Mustang Coupe w/289 - sold
CBR9Seadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:37 PM   #26
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The chevy naming system gets thrown out the window with the Corvette, which would be the Camaro's closet relative in the Chevy lineup. The same thing can easily be done for the Camaro. Plus, I don't see there being 5 different full trims for the Camaro. There will likely be 3, with upgrade packages such as Rally Sport.

As far as engines, I haven't heard anything concrete about using 4. 3 gets mentioned over and over. the 4th engine, if it exists, would go into a limmited production ZL-1 or something like that. Having a second V6 would be a bad idea since it wouldn't get much better mileage. I think that you should look towards Mustangs rather than Chargers and Challengers for what the Camaro will have.

A source for the reason behind not having everthing at launch is because they can't build all the cars at the same time. its only 1 plant, they can only do so much. The tradition for GM is to release the lower models, then give the high performance version a few months to a year later. Pontiac is a great example of that. The G8 has base and GT, and the GXP is expected (with LS3) later in the summer. I expect the Camaro to follow this pattern, including trim levels.

This is the key: "The chevy naming system gets thrown out the window with the Corvette"

Though....it's not completely accurate. You get a choice of 1-4 LT trim levels. All generally increasing the luxury status and toys in the car.
But you can't get a Z06 Cobalt...so What's the problem with a Z28 Camaro? Everyone who's ever even heard the name Camaro is expecting a Z28 trim level. WHERE it gets put in the chain, however....is another story.

You can quote me on this to point out my wrongness later this year, or say - Yeah! You were right!!

The way I see it there will be a few choices:

LT or LS...or both? (whatever they choose to call it.)
This will be the V6 version.

I'm not sold on two V6's at this point...so for arguments sake, we'll leave that out of the equation for now.

Z28...or SS.
The name for this is uncertain. Most in the Camaro community seem to think that it will be called 'SS'. I think it'll be Z28.....who knows

But the bottom line is that this will be the 'base' V8. I quoted 'base' because this ain't gonna be no slouch. ~400hp. Mark my words. All for ~28k.

Then, later - they'll bring out the SS...or Z28.
See above above about naming. Same here.

This will be the GT-500/SRT8 fighter. A limited production, 36-38k dollar, 500+ hp firebreathing beast!!

Of course there'll also be a convertible version of each of the above.

But there's no reason to assume that there can't be a Z28 just because it doesn't 'fit' with the uniform Chevy lineup...it's sort of a silly thought if you ask me.

Nice conversation, though
Old 03-05-2008, 03:05 PM   #27
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR9Seadoo View Post
Can I have what you're smoking if you think you're going to be driving a new camaro for 3 months before the winter in 2008?

Correct me if I am wrong, but you won't be able to drive it from the show room until Feb 09.
Correct Tim, if we're lucky! I don't think they'll be able to spit them out fast enough if the prices are comparable to the Mustangs.

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #28
Omega94

Drives: 1994 Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
People want to believe another V8 will be offered. To date, we have evidence of only 1 V8. This is not an old Camaro. This is a new Camaro. I'm delighted with the way it looks and the power we've been promised. If I decide that I want more power, then I'll add it myself.
...I couldn't really quote your signature...but how you figure that it's a fact that GM will be offering 2 V6 engines??

1994 Camaro 3.4l V6, 5-speed, SLP Loudmouth I cat-back exhaust.
It's loud, slow as all get out, but loud
No more money going into this one...everything's being saved for my 5th Gen.
2010 Camaro SS 6-speed, Black/Black
Omega94 is offline   Reply With Quote