Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #127
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Hang on...

Just a sec fellas. I don't think we're finished discussing the GT500 vs ZL1 thing yet. Let's get that and the v6 vs v8 debate wrapped up first before nailing PD vs. Centri down, okay?

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #128
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post
Just a sec fellas. I don't think we're finished discussing the GT500 vs ZL1 thing yet. Let's get that and the v6 vs v8 debate wrapped up first before nailing PD vs. Centri down, okay?
Candlesticks always make a nice gift. Bull Durham 1988. Can't argue with that
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #129
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
Certain other "experts", that we mere mortals aren't supposed to question, would have you believe that the Maggie IAT's aren't managable. Even at boost levels way beyond what most will experience, you seem to manage. Or maybe you actually don't manage them.....you just don't know it...because you don't really know your car as well as you think you do

I just keep referring to that fastest list and can't help but see that little ole Maggie on top! Even with a little nitrous help and 75 rwhp less it still seems to be the king.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:56 AM   #130
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
Certain other "experts", that we mere mortals aren't supposed to question, would have you believe that the Maggie IAT's aren't managable. Even at boost levels way beyond what most will experience, you seem to manage. Or maybe you actually don't manage them.....you just don't know it...because you don't really know your car as well as you think you do
Did you not see what he said about the ice ? Jamie has a dang yeti cooler in the trunk of his car to cool that Maggie down. Gee I wonder why he did that.... The Maggie system you have and the one Jamie has isn't the same. See Jamie has uncle Ted's special super duper Maggie and it cost Alot more.

Last edited by JLE58; 01-20-2013 at 04:11 AM.
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #131
ginsberg2@hotmail.com
Account Suspended

Drives: ls3 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLE58 View Post
Did you not see what he said about the ice ? Jamie has a dang yeti cooler in the trunk of his car to cool that Maggie down. Gee I wonder why he did that.... The Maggie system you have and the one Jamie has isn't the same. See Jamie has uncle Ted's special super duper Maggie and it cost Alot more.
if i think of a p/displacement blower...i throw-up a little in my mouth.
ginsberg2@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #132
Chris-HPS

Drives: 2008Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Ted quenched my high IAT's with a liitle ice. Even at 16-18psi I don't see anything higher than 150-155. At the tree its always about 50 degrees. Even after a John Force burnout.

I thought the nitrous would help with the iats but it hasn't done jack shit. Maybe I just need more.

150-155 IATS @ 16-18psi with Ice intercooler. Imagine what the IAT's are with just plain water! This is a perfect example of how hot a roots blower gets. A centrifical/turbo with a Air to water intercooler and adding ice will only be in the 70deg. temp range. That is 20lbs of boost and 1600hp!

Chris
Chris-HPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #133
East Coast Supercharging

Drives: 8 second C5 Drag Car, C6 Road racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Motorsports View Post
They will be available soon. They will only be offered with tuning initially but once we get one in here we'll play with it and get it figured out. It will offer a variable boost controller which will allow you to make more boost down low like a PD blower because you can control the speed. The other benefit is you can speed it up a touch at idle and eliminate the ProCharger whistle if you'd like; it is totally quite. This unit will be revolutionary and I can't wait to get one!!

Doug is passionate about what he does and they are very good at it. Sometimes it is frustrating having "Professionals" post in these threads that have no clue about how things work. They post a lot and all they bring to the table is "the best price" and want you to buy what they make the largest margin on.. We offer all of them and frankly with the "whores" in the supercharger market you're lucky to make a $200 profit on a $6000+ sale...

In terms of the centri being more than a PD blower to install you're incorrect. We charge the same for both units. I do agree that the PD's look better under the hood and the fact is both types of superchargers are great. The OP doesn't plan on tracking his car so I say choose the system that you want because you're going to be happy either way!

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley

Jordan,
well said, and I do care about what I do, and am passionate about getting the results our customers are looking for. Being at the race track with them regularly is probably what brings this on. There's nothing worse then an unhappy customer staring you in the face as they lost a race because of something you suggested or manufactured. Especially if they most likely would have won and there was $$ on the line, now thats a bad day at work..

It seems to me that those giving opinions are the "parts whores" as other have labeled-not my words, or those giving the opinion of their personal car and only see one as the correct option.

Those giving factual data and actually build fast cars, agree that BOTH systems are great when put in the right application.

Choose who you feel is offering the best advice FOR YOU!

Doug @ ECS
East Coast Supercharging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #134
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhe64 View Post
Wow, bet you didn't expect this response eh blake?

doug@ECS, coming in here and acting like a butt hurt know it all does not help your company's reputation at all.

Has anyone talked cost yet? My PD blower was $2000 less than any centri or Turbo system that I had priced.

And looks are important. I did not want all that extra piping that comes with a centri or Turbo. It looks factory under my hood.

It does not matter what you get. They all make too much power for the street, you will be absolutely satisfied with whatever you decide.

From your very first post I would say that a PD kit is right for you.
Talk about butt-hurt.... Getting a littler over-defensive about PD blowers eh?

Let's stick to the facts here. "$2000 less"??? "Cheaper to install"??? Making stuff up that sounds good is not facts.

The logging of IATs, and the curve on the dyno, these things are facts.

And that's nice you think looks are important and it looks "factory" under your hood. Every time I walk by a Camaro with a maggie, I roll my eyes and think how they probably just opened their wallet to a vendor and have no idea about the product on their car.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #135
Krieger

Drives: American Cars
**WARNING: WALL OF TEXT**
We all want more power and pushing more air/fuel certainly does that, but compressing air generates heat, puts extra stress on the entire drive-train, and adds extra components to be monitored and maintained.

For street driven vehicles that you expect to work whenever you "need" them (vs. a race vehicle which is towed) maintenance is an issue that should be considered before chasing after the "experience" desired.

Supercharging, All three methods share belt slip/wear problems as well as loading the nose of the crank (adding belt tension has a cost), all have boost bypass solutions, and all have intake charge temp cooling

1.) Roots
-Moderate cost
-Reliable simple design
-Great stop-light/street profile (instant boost) that pulls like a big block (if you can get traction and don't break half shafts), but runs out of steam (boost drop-off) on top end when going "all out", and you need to get rid of a ton of heat seen as high IAT (incoming air) temperature. Even the best cooling solution gets saturated here. Fun on the street every now and then or that occasion you want to pull a tree stump. Pick the right size here to keep rotor RPM speed down and efficiency up with heat build-up lower. Also the nickname "Heaton" for Eaton superchargers comes to mind here.

2.) Twin-Screw
-Moderate cost but usually a premium over roots
-Reliable like a roots and takes less power to drive but has lobes that can wear over time
-Great stop-light/street profile with better top end (no boost drop-off), freeway/track runs are noticeably better with the twin-screw over roots, but while heat is less of an issue compared to roots you still have to get rid of it.
-Middle of the road street/strip solution.

3.) Centrifugal
-Cost can be similar or more depending on the application compared to roots/ts
-Arguably a little less reliable due to complexity of gear drive/impeller RPM and extra plumbing then again this is used in aeronautics
-Much better track/freeway performance where boost builds with RPM and feels like an increasingly bigger pull vs. the "big block" experience
-This is your wind it out fourth gear track/freeway/1000+rwhp runner but still works on the street

Honestly I've seen and used all three and by compensating in different ways you can achieve track and street performance, but out of the box I'd say going from street to strip it would be roots->twin-screw-> centrifugal. Today's Roots, Twin-Screw, and Centrifugal parts are so much better it is a tough choice.

Last but not least is Turbocharging which has no crank connection, but adds back-pressure and heats the exhaust side to extreme temps (and sometimes under-hood temps depending)
-Can have a higher cost due to parts and complexity
-Reliability can vary wildly depending on setup and quality of parts used, while similar to a Centrifugal using an impeller this is driven by exhaust gas and has 2x the plumbing of the Centrifugal
-Street/Track performance is customizable and can lean both ways using a boost controller and Turbo size/count, but when boost hits it can be tremendous! This solution is getting better every year and when done right is truly awesome.

Lots of talk about IAT, A/F ratios, and timing, but the one thing I don't see here is talking about using EGT (exhaust gas temperatures) as well when tuning these solutions.

Sometimes I think people should start with a nitrous kit before they go forced induction and see how that works out.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #136
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Drives: Supercharged 2010 SS, 2016 Golf R
To each his own, as they say. If/when I get boost, it will be a PD blower because that's what I've always wanted (I'll have to switch back to stock gear ratios, but I'm okay with that) . I won't care if you or anyone else rolls their eyes, since I know I'll happy with it. My car's a DD, not a weekend track warrior, and I want that instant torque available at every RPM, so PD it is.
Mods: Forged 416 LS3, Maggie TVS 2300 SC (~11 psi), custom cam (232/247, .630/.630, 118 LSA), 90-lb. injectors, ZL1 fuel pump & ADM controller, Alky Control meth kit, Monster LT1-SC twin-disk clutch, ZL1 drivetrain conversion w/ DSS 1000-HP axles & 1-pc. driveshaft, CAI Inc. intake w/ ADM scoop, XS Power full exhaust (1 7/8" LT headers with 3" off-road pipes), VMAX CNC-ported TB, LSR adjustable sway bars, LPE rear end-links, BMR 1" drop, BMR polyurethane bushings; UMI trailing arms & toe rods. Built & tuned by Kraftworks. 755 rwhp/708 rwtq
fldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #137
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
This post is not directed at anyone in particular....but I must insist that we (no pun intended) cool it, in here...

Let me please remind all that this is a Technical thread, not a sales or product announcement conversation.

I greatly appreciate our vendors taking part in here, and offering their varying areas of expertise to assist the OP, but please remember that that IS the goal: To provide information for BlakeH827 to read and consider. I would hope that's why we're all here.

Thank you.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #138
rdblan2

Drives: 2SS RS
Can all of us dudes here just agree that getting blown is awesome? Doesn't really matter how!
Old 01-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #139
solobaric

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdblan2 View Post
Can all of us dudes here just agree that getting blown is awesome? Doesn't really matter how!
Lmao! Best post so far in this thread!!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #140
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Drives: Supercharged 2010 SS, 2016 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdblan2 View Post
Agreed!
Mods: Forged 416 LS3, Maggie TVS 2300 SC (~11 psi), custom cam (232/247, .630/.630, 118 LSA), 90-lb. injectors, ZL1 fuel pump & ADM controller, Alky Control meth kit, Monster LT1-SC twin-disk clutch, ZL1 drivetrain conversion w/ DSS 1000-HP axles & 1-pc. driveshaft, CAI Inc. intake w/ ADM scoop, XS Power full exhaust (1 7/8" LT headers with 3" off-road pipes), VMAX CNC-ported TB, LSR adjustable sway bars, LPE rear end-links, BMR 1" drop, BMR polyurethane bushings; UMI trailing arms & toe rods. Built & tuned by Kraftworks. 755 rwhp/708 rwtq
fldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote