Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
toilets

Drives: 2010 camaro
Do you know what ptm mode

I swore I read somewhere that when exiting a turn you can essentially keep your foot planted to the floor and the car will modulate the throttle for the maximum amount of grip and speed.

A. Is this true
B. do you know what mode this is?

Ie, hit you braking point, turn in, hit the apex and let the car do the rest
toilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by toilets View Post
I swore I read somewhere that when exiting a turn you can essentially keep your foot planted to the floor and the car will modulate the throttle for the maximum amount of grip and speed.

A. Is this true
B. do you know what mode this is?

Ie, hit you braking point, turn in, hit the apex and let the car do the rest
A. Yes....to a point...

B. PTM 2 is your best bet, here.

PTM is an astounding system in that it can progressively scale back the level of "help" it's providing the driver. From modes 1 - 5, the system allows more power to be used and makes less handling adjustments...

So if you're looking for video-game style performance, PTM 2 should be real close - but keep in mind it will still skip the wheels a little bit if you lay the hammer down TOO hard. But even then, it will always reign in the drama before any trouble happens.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
toilets

Thanks Dragoneye. Do you know about mode 5? Is their still intervention? I'd like to have the race setting but I also want some help if I get in over my head
Old 03-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I'm still a little confused as well... (thanks toilets )

Is Mode 5 the "OFF" mode, or is there another mode, in addition to 5, that completely turns everything off? That's what I keep thinking I'm reading, but it's still not entirely clear to me.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I'm still a little confused as well... (thanks toilets )

Is Mode 5 the "OFF" mode, or is there another mode, in addition to 5, that completely turns everything off? That's what I keep thinking I'm reading, but it's still not entirely clear to me.
It is my understanding PTM Mode 5 is not "OFF," as Traction Control is still active in PIM Mode 5, although StabiliTrak is off. The TCS/StabiliTrak system is completely "OFF" when the TCS/StabiliTrak button is pressed and released once after vehicle startup. Pressing and releasing the TCS/StabiliTrak button again turns the system back on.

If the TCS/StabiliTrak button is pressed quickly two times, the system enters PTM mode. The modes (1 - 5) while in PTM are selected by pushing the - TOUR and + SPORT buttons to scroll up or down through the modes. When the TCS/StabiliTrak button is pressed again, the vehicle exits the PTM mode and the TCS and StabiliTrask systems are on.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Wait, so you aren't by default in 1-5? You can be outside of that scope?
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
It is my understanding PTM Mode 5 is not "OFF," as Traction Control is still active in PIM Mode 5, although StabiliTrak is off. The TCS/StabiliTrak system is completely "OFF" when the TCS/StabiliTrak button is pressed and released once after vehicle startup. Pressing and releasing the TCS/StabiliTrak button again turns the system back on.

If the TCS/StabiliTrak button is pressed quickly two times, the system enters PTM mode. The modes (1 - 5) while in PTM are selected by pushing the - TOUR and + SPORT buttons to scroll up or down through the modes. When the TCS/StabiliTrak button is pressed again, the vehicle exits the PTM mode and the TCS and StabiliTrask systems are on.
That makes more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
I keep forgetting I can refer to the Owner's Manual, LOL

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
I have faith but Im not sure I have this much faith......

"To experience the performance
benefit of this system, after entering
a curve and at the point where the
driver would normally start to
increase acceleration, the
accelerator pedal can be fully
pressed. The PTM system will
modify the level of engine power for
a smooth and consistent corner exit
"

9-46 in the owners manual....
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
TCS and StabiliTrack are on, and PTM is off, by default whenever the vehicle is started. To enter PTM Mode the TCS/StabiliTrack button must be pressed quickly two times. Then, PTM Modes 1 to 5 are available.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
toilets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post

Hmmm, this would imply (to me) that aid is not there. Traction control would need to be on in mode 5 as launch control is still enabled in this mode. However it looks as if you start to lose it around a corner then no help is on its way
Old 03-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #11
toilets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post

"

OOHHHH snap! Now that is cool and is confirmed!Now to find out what ptm mode this works in...

Last edited by toilets; 03-06-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
Janet

Drives: 2015 Z06, 06 Silverado,
Quote:

"

It might be kinda hard to teach this old dog some new tricks. Hmmmm
Janet
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #13
IcePick06

Drives: '12 AGM ZL1 (SOLD); '07 Ducati 1098
Quote:

a smooth and consistent corner exit"

This is similar to the new traction control systems on sportbikes. It's counterintuitive from years of riding to just hammer the throttle coming out of a turn, but the new traction control systems are THAT good on current sportbikes that it takes some getting used to before you will actually become faster from the technology. I'm sure the ZL1 will take me a couple weeks or so to even get used to the "NO LIFT SHIFT" feature as well as the PTM modes
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote