Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-02-2014, 12:12 AM   #1
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Z/28 at Sears Point HPDE

Got home, washed up, and had a great home-cooked meal after a long two days. Time for a drink and bedtime; more impressions to follow:

Last edited by brt3; 06-02-2014 at 12:30 AM.
brt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:06 AM   #2
Yees00911

Drives: Honda CRV
Perfection in motion!
Yees00911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:07 AM   #3
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Nice! What's up with the wheels?
Old 06-02-2014, 02:44 AM   #4
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Nice number. Fits the car. I'm guessing you're saving your wheels from damage. Are those rims lighter than the OEM Z's?

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:08 AM   #5
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Sweet! The Finspeed wheels look great! Glad to see they made it there on time. The whole car looks very understated and purposeful.

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:27 AM   #6
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
What were your times?

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:32 AM   #7
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
You broke that in fast! Great pics!
Old 06-02-2014, 10:36 AM   #8
JUSTINASS

Drives: 00 SS / 10 2SS RS RJT
great pics!!
JUSTINASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:46 AM   #9
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSS24 View Post
Nice number. Fits the car. I'm guessing you're saving your wheels from damage. Are those rims lighter than the OEM Z's?
6 pounds lighter per corner, in a wheel that's strong enough to work with the loads if I want to upgrade to slicks. Finspeed makes a killer wheel; READ MORE HERE
Old 06-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #10
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamHouseIII View Post
What were your times?
I was having significant issues with getting the brakes correctly broken in, and believe the process listed in the OM is significantly flawed (as in 1/10 the number of require reps). Because of this and me learning the track, I didn't bother with timing. I was running with a GT3 who was running consistent 2 minute laps. I suspect I was around 2:02...
Old 06-02-2014, 12:06 PM   #11
SlowSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Very nice! That 3rd pic is stunning. Are there any video's?
Old 06-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #12
radrace19

Drives: Pontiac G8 GXP
This is the info from the OM in the GM system. Is that different from the current printed OM?
Quote:
Track Events and Competitive Driving
Track events or competitive driving may affect the vehicle warranty. See the warranty manual before using the vehicle for racing or other competitive driving.
Caution: If you use the vehicle for racing or other competitive driving, the engine may use more oil than it would with normal use. Low oil levels can damage the engine. For information on how to add oil.
Be sure to check the oil level often during racing or other competitive driving and keep the level at or near the upper mark that shows the proper operating range on the engine oil dipstick.

For track events or competitive driving, it is recommended that the brake fluid be replaced with a high performance brake fluid that has a dry boiling point greater than 279°C (534°F). After conversion to the high performance brake fluid, follow the brake fluid service recommendations outlined by the fluid manufacturer. Do not use silicone or DOT-5 brake fluids.
If operating a Z/28 on a closed course during hot temperatures, reduce the coolant/water mixture to a 30/70 mix and increase under hood airflow by removing the water deflector on the engine side of the hood scoop.
ZL1, 1LE and Z/28: For racing and competitive driving, the vehicle load should be limited to the driver only and no cargo. The tires should be inflated to at least 180 kPa (26 psi).
Because the fluid temperatures may be higher, it is necessary to change the rear axle fluid every 24 hours of racing or competitive driving.
Caution: During a first time track or racing event, high rear axle temperatures can occur. Damage could be caused to the rear axle and would not be covered by the vehicle warranty. Do not drive as long or as fast the first time the vehicle is driven on the track or raced.

For extended track use, GM recommends installing a rear differential cooler to protect the rear axle. This excludes the ZL1 and Z/28 as it has a rear differential cooler as standard equipment.
1LE comes with an oil control kit that should be installed for track use only, to ensure proper oil control and prevent engine damage. This is not for street use. This kit may also be purchased from your dealer.
Caution: Extended track operation without this kit installed may result in a low oil level and could result in engine damage.

To prepare the Camaro ZL1, 1LE, and Z/28 brake systems for track events and racing, complete the appropriate the high performance brake burnishing procedure described below.
ZL1 and 1LE Brake Burnishing
New brake pads must be burnished before racing or other competitive driving.
Caution: These procedures are specific to the ZL1 or Camaro SS brake package. This procedure should not be run on other Camaro models as damage may result.

Caution: The new vehicle break-in period should be completed before performing the brake burnish procedure or damage may occur to the powertrain/engine.

When performed as instructed, these procedures will not damage the brakes. During the burnishing procedure, the brake pads will smoke and produce an odor. The braking force and pedal travel may increase. After the procedure is complete, the brake pads may appear white at the rotor contact.
Run this procedure in a safe manner and in compliance with all local and state ordinances/laws regarding motor vehicle operation. Run this procedure only on dry pavement.
Racing/Track Brake Burnishing Procedure
Caution: Brake pedal fade will occur during this track burnish procedure and can cause brake pedal travel and force to increase. This could extend stopping distance until the brakes are fully burnished.
  1. Apply the brakes 25 times starting at 100 km/h (60 mph) to 50 km/h (30 mph) while decelerating at 0.4 g. This is a medium brake application. Drive for at least 1 km (0.6 mi) between applying the brakes. This first step may be skipped if there are more than 320 km (200 mi) on the brake pads.
  2. Repeatedly apply the brakes from 100 km/h (60 mph) to 25 km/h (15 mph) while decelerating at 0.8 g. This is a hard brake application, without activating the Antilock Brake System (ABS). Drive for at least 1 km (0.6 mi) between stops. Repeat until the brake pedal travel starts to increase. Depending on conditions, this should take no longer than 25 brake applications.
  3. Cool down: Drive at 100 km/h (60 mph) for approximately 15 km (10 mi) without using the brakes.
  4. Apply the brakes 25 times from 100 km/h (60 mph) to 50 km/h (30 mph) while decelerating at 0.4 g. This is a medium brake application. Drive for at least 1 km (0.6 mi) between applications.
Z/28 Brake Burnishing
Caution: These procedures are specific to the Z/28 with ceramic brake rotors. These procedures should not be run on other Camaro models as damage may result.

Caution: The new vehicle break-in period should be completed before performing the brake burnish procedure or damage may occur to the powertrain/engine.

When performed as instructed, these procedures will not damage the brakes. During the burnishing procedure, the brake pads will smoke and produce an odor. The braking force and pedal travel may increase. After the procedure is complete, the brake pads may appear white at the rotor contact.

Street High Performance Brake Burnishing Procedure Perform this procedure on dry pavement only and in a safe manner and in compliance with all local and state ordinances/laws regarding motor vehicle operation.
  1. From a stop, accelerate as rapidly as possible without activating traction control to a speed of 100 km/h (60 mph).
  2. Use enough pedal force to completely stop the vehicle in four to five seconds. If ABS activates, braking is too hard.
  3. Repeat Steps 1 and 2 five times. This should take about 10 minutes.
  4. After completing the five stops, cool the brakes by driving for 8 km (5 mi) at 100 km/h (60 mph).
As with all high performance brake systems, some amount of brake squeal is normal.

Racing/Track Brake Burnishing Procedure To prepare the Z/28 brake system for track events and racing, the street high performance brake burnish as described previously should be completed.

In addition to completing the street high performance brake burnishing procedure, the following procedure needs to be completed to make the Z/28 brake system ready for track events and racing.
This procedure should only be run on a track and only on dry pavement.
Caution: Brake pedal fade will occur during this track burnish procedure and can cause brake pedal travel and force to increase. This could extend stopping distance until the brakes are fully burnished.
  1. Drive a normal first lap, not too aggressively.
  2. Laps 2 and 3 should be gradually driven faster and more aggressively, while allowing for reduced brake output and increased stopping distance due to brake fade.
  3. Drive Lap 4 near full speed, while allowing for reduced brake output and increased stopping distance due to brake fade.
  4. Laps 5 and 6 should be cool down laps.
  5. Lap 7 should be normal driving or an easy out lap.
Z/28 Racing AlignmentIf the vehicle has the Z/28 package, the racing and competitive driving wheel alignment settings can be set as follows for increased handling performance:
Caution: Using these wheel alignment settings may cause excessive tire wear. Only use these wheel alignment settings for racing or competitive driving. Excessive tire wear is not covered under the vehicle warranty.

Front Alignment Specification
  • Caster: 5.9 +/- 0.50 deg.
  • Camber: -1.5 +/- 0.50 deg.
  • Total or Sum Toe: 0.1 +/- 0.20 deg.
Rear Alignment Specification
  • Camber: -1 +/- 0.50 deg.
  • Total or Sum Toe: 0.1 +/- 0.20 deg.
  • Thrust Angle: 0 +/- 0.20 deg.

2009.5 G8 GT (Liquid Red)
GXP fascia conversion, GXP diffuser

2009 GXP M6 (MSM) #405 586rwhp/495tq
TVS2300, CTS-V Fuel System, Cam 222/230 116 lsa, Monster Lever 4 Clutch, American Racing 1 7/8 headers, rear Brembo's w/working Parking brake
11.91 @ 119
radrace19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #13
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by radrace19 View Post
This is the info from the OM in the GM system. Is that different from the current printed OM?
The 25 reps are listed under ZL1 & 1LE Brake Burnishing. The Z/28 steps are listed below. I created a PDF that just contains the Z/28-specific information, and have used that for my "bible". I wasn't even aware of what you listed for the ZL1/1LE until now. Perhaps I'm stupid, but between driving 1,900 Z/28 miles in two cross-country days, then busting tail to get everything ready for the track, I didn't stop to consider that the Z/28 OM might simply be wrong. This is my first car with carbon-ceramic brakes, so I took the factory at their word...

Essentially, all the care I took to follow the Brake Burnishing Procedure to the letter was not only wasted time -- it effectively ruined my track weekend!

Z/28 Brake Burnishing

• CAUTION •
The new vehicle break-in period should be completed before performing the brake burnish procedure or damage may occur to the powertrain/engine. See New Vehicle Break-In on page 9-19.

• CAUTION •
These procedures are specific to the Z/28 with ceramic brake rotors. These procedures should not be run on other Camaro models as damage may result.

Street High Performance Brake Burnishing Procedure
Perform this procedure on dry pavement only and in a safe manner and in compliance with all local and state ordinances/laws regarding motor vehicle operation.

1. From a stop, accelerate as rapidly as possible without activating traction control to a speed of 100 km/h (60 mph).
2. Use enough pedal force to completely stop the vehicle in four to five seconds. If ABS activates, braking is too hard.
3. Repeat Steps 1 and 2 five times. This should take about 10 minutes.
4. After completing the five stops, cool the brakes by driving for 8 km (5 mi) at 100 km/h (60 mph).

As with all high performance brake systems, some amount of brake squeal is normal.

Racing/Track Brake Burnishing Procedure
To prepare the Z/28 brake system for track events and racing, the street high performance brake burnish as described previously should be completed.

In addition to completing the street high performance brake burnishing procedure, the following procedure needs to be completed to make the Z/28 brake system ready for track events and racing.

This procedure should only be run on a track and only on dry pavement.

• CAUTION •
Brake pedal fade will occur during this track burnish procedure and can cause brake pedal travel and force to increase. This could extend stopping distance until the brakes are fully burnished.

1. Drive a normal first lap, not too aggressively.
2. Laps 2 and 3 should be gradually driven faster and more aggressively, while allowing for reduced brake output and increased stopping distance due to brake fade.
3. Drive Lap 4 near full speed, while allowing for reduced brake output and increased stopping distance due to brake fade.
4. Laps 5 and 6 should be cool down laps.
5. Lap 7 should be normal driving or an easy out lap.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Z28 Brake Burnishing.pdf (130.6 KB, 119 views)
Old 06-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #14
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
That really stinks. Sorry to hear.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote