Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #99
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
6.4 Liter HEMI is due next year, I would prefer the LS7, everybody's not into FI you know..... it's all about Motor
Right on man, i hear ya...i know i know, spare me another "The LS7's on its way out man" speech, lol, i just honestly think the LS7 would be a better choice, and we know GM is considering it because look what they took to SEMA, the SEMA LS7 Concept Camaro, it wasnt an LSA Concept Camaro, LOL, and that car netted 586hp with a simple hotcam swap which we know GM can mass produce the engine like that...plus i mean who wouldnt love to see the Z/28 own the GT500 with an N/A engine? Not to mention the LS7 is 100+lbs lighter than the LSA (after liquids added)
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #100
Luigi And Me

Drives: Trailblazer SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodGU View Post
LS7 would be the WORST base...no FI common its probably going to be the LS9 or LSA although in mvho i dont think they should even use an LSx
Luigi And Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:40 PM   #101
Vega

Actually its an interesting note that the LS7, while being the biggest of the three, is also lighter than the LSA and LS9...although i would very much love to see an extremely light LS302 return as mentioned earlier (thanks to clark17357)
Really i have just a few beefs with supercharging and those would be that supercharging focuses on more power ar higher RPMs which i preffer more low end power and torque, i personally cant stand supercharger whine (although ive heard the LSA has eliminated this), supercharging adds a lot more weight than most people think, often making it heavier than just a large bored N/A engine (such as the LSA vs. LS7 discussion), and lastly idk if this is still true for the LSA and current engines but dont supercharged engines tend to have more hesitation between the pedal reaction and the power reaction? (correct me if im wrong here, id rather know the facts than just have oppinions LOL)
Old 09-27-2009, 09:09 PM   #102
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Drives: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
Really i have just a few beefs with supercharging and those would be that supercharging focuses on more power ar higher RPMs which i preffer more low end power and torque, i personally cant stand supercharger whine (although ive heard the LSA has eliminated this), supercharging adds a lot more weight than most people think, often making it heavier than just a large bored N/A engine (such as the LSA vs. LS7 discussion), and lastly idk if this is still true for the LSA and current engines but dont supercharged engines tend to have more hesitation between the pedal reaction and the power reaction? (correct me if im wrong here, id rather know the facts than just have oppinions LOL)
Depends on the supercharger, roots give low to midrange torque with flat torque curve, centrifigals give more top end power. Since the LSA/LS9 uses the new gen roots supercharger TVS series they are quieter than the old gen superchargers. Superchargers power is instant and have no hesitation. Some folks don't like roots because you have instant power on the low end and makes it harder to put the power down.

I have a supercharged GTO.
GM4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #103
Vega

Ahh kay, thanks much, the new superchargers are pretty amazing really, they do a good job of eliminating all the quirks i hated about them in the first place haha
Old 09-27-2009, 09:37 PM   #104
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Actually its an interesting note that the LS7, while being the biggest of the three, is also lighter than the LSA and LS9...although i would very much love to see an extremely light LS302 return as mentioned earlier (thanks to clark17357)
Biggest in terms of displacement...which means less block material as it was bored out...and then all those titanium pieces...hehe -- I'm not surprised.

Quote:
I personally cant stand supercharger whine (although ive heard the LSA has eliminated this), supercharging adds a lot more weight than most people think, often making it heavier than just a large bored N/A engine (such as the LSA vs. LS7 discussion), and lastly idk if this is still true for the LSA and current engines but dont supercharged engines tend to have more hesitation between the pedal reaction and the power reaction? (correct me if im wrong here, id rather know the facts than just have oppinions LOL)
No roots supercharger is going to have that whine, anymore. Since EATON pretty much owns that market, the new TVS series rotors are ridiculously quiet.

And as for throttle response...well...The LSA has 350+ lb/ft on tap at 1000rpms....you tell me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4lyfe View Post
Depends on the supercharger, roots give low to midrange torque with flat torque curve, centrifigals give more top end power. Since the LSA/LS9 uses the new gen roots supercharger TVS series they are quieter than the old gen superchargers. Superchargers power is instant and have no hesitation. Some folks don't like roots because you have instant power on the low end and makes it harder to put the power down.
+1, Well said.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #105
chiel

Drives: 1959 p/u and s/c ls3 th400
From the net:
LS8
This is another 6.2-liter, smallblock V8 with a supercharger. It also features an intercooler integrated into the intake manifold. This will be the motor going into the top-end Zeta platform cars. The most premium Camaro, probably called Z28, will get this motor.
chiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #106
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiel View Post
From the net:
LS8
This is another 6.2-liter, smallblock V8 with a supercharger. It also features an intercooler integrated into the intake manifold. This will be the motor going into the top-end Zeta platform cars. The most premium Camaro, probably called Z28, will get this motor.
Nice find. We've seen mention of the mysterious LS8 before, probably from the site you quoted here....

But that's all we've heard of it.... We've never seen it discussed over the last two years or so...

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:01 PM   #107
99-LS1-SS
Waiting...

Drives: 2009 G8 GXP M6
The way I read the write-up about the LS8 is that it's basically the LS3 with the LSA supercharger on it. No forged crank...I think that would be a bad move for GM over the long haul. I hope I am wrong.
99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:42 PM   #108
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
For those hungry for the 427 LS7 it uses the stock hypereutectic pistons. Not forged
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:47 PM   #109
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
One of Chevy's own dyno tests for their 302 Z/28 engine dated 8/2/67 showed a single four barrel version with 440 HP @ 7400 RPM and the two four barrel version with 468 HP @ 7400 RPM, the fuel injection version (which was never put into production) was 470 HP @ 7400 RPM. According to the data sheets accompanying these tests, they were using Traco Racing prepared heads rather than the stock heads, otherwise the engines appeared to be stock.
Clyde
those were SCCA racing engines not factory 302's.
there have been new test by mags on this subject and with all the factory goodies they only made 360 or so HP.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:16 AM   #110
BoostedX2

Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
I found this while surfing the net:
A detailed look at GM's LS motor plans

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A detailed look at GM's LS motor plans
10/30/07, 09:12am, EDT

With so much incorrect information out there about GM's future LS motors, we though it would be a good time to query our sources and get the real deal. From the Cadillac CTS-V to the Corvette ZR1, we take a look at the LSA, LS7, LS8, LST, and LS9.

LS7

This is, of course, the current 7.0-liter, naturally aspirated motor in the Z06. It's handbuilt at GM's Wixom performance center and is very expensive to make. Too expensive with the LS9 motor coming. While there will be several months where the LS7 and LS9 will be built at Wixom, the LS7 will eventually die, probably sometime between late-2009 or mid-2010.

Several publications have repeatedly insisted the new CTS-V will be powered by the LS7, but this is completely false. GM cannot spend engineering dollars on a CTS-V to start with the LS7, then 12 to 18 months later, switch motors after the LS7 is discontinued. Rather, the super Caddy will feature an all-new powerplant.

LSA

The LSA will find its way under the hood of the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V. The LSA is a 6.2-liter, smallblock V8 with a supercharger. It features an intercooler integrated into the intake manifold.

Preliminary specs have it over 500 horsepower with a choice of manual or automatic transmissions. The CTS-V will start production in September of 2008 with this motor. Look for around 6000 to 8000 units annually.

Original plans also had the LSA going into an Escalade V-series truck. However justifying the development cost — not to mention CAFE considerations — might put possibility of such a truck in jeporady. At present, it is unclear whether the Escalade-V a truck is still part of the plan.

LS8

That said, original plans had this motor going into a Denali SUV or truck, however, those plans now seem to be canceled. Again, this maybe a result of CAFE.

Some of Holden's vehicles may also get this motor eventually. Initial specs have this motor at 475 to 500 horsepower with a choice of manual or automatic transmissions.

When the LS7 dies, the Z06 will get this motor. Possibly, slightly uptuned from the version the Zeta cars would get. This motor will start production in first or second quarter of 2010.

LST

Yet another 6.2-liter, smallblock V8 with a supercharger. It also features an intercooler integrated into the intake manifold. This motor may or may not still be in GM's plans. The original plan was to put it in GM's Heavy Duty trucks.

Delivering in excess of 450 pound-feet of torque, it was set to start in the middle of 2008. However, it now seems this motor may no longer be part of the plan. GM may have decided its diesel offerings were sufficient. It's also possible GM had a hard time justifying the cost of development. Of course, CAFE might have also played a role.

LS9

This is the 6.2-liter, smallblock V8 with a supercharger going into the ZR-1 Corvette. Like all the others, it has an intercooler integrated into the intake manifold. Original specs had this motor at 600 horsepower and 550 to 560 pound-feet of torque. It now seems the horsepower rating may have jumped to as much as 650.

If that's true, it would probably be safe to estimate a similar jump in torque to around 600 ft lbs. Sources have stated the LS9 can make 700hp on a test stand. Obviously though, that is without a car attached to the motor. Don't look for any production hp number starting with "seven."

It now appears an auto/paddle shift may also be an option on the ZR-1. This motor will be handbuilt at GM's Wixom performance center. They will only make 1500 to 2000 units a year. Production of the ZR-1 starts in July of 2008.
BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:21 AM   #111
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
That article is pretty old. And we've never even heard a squeak about the LS8 from GM.... Not to say it doesn't exist.... Just never seen nor heard of it "officially".
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:38 PM   #112
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
those were SCCA racing engines not factory 302's.
there have been new test by mags on this subject and with all the factory goodies they only made 360 or so HP.
Source please?? The dyno tests I quoted were from Chevy's own records, they did state that the heads were Traco Racing prepared heads, nothing was mentioned about the rest of the engine being any different than a production engine. Do you have any idea what made the SCCA racing engines different from the production engines? Besides the prepared heads?? We've been looking at a video for a few months of a dyno run of a basically stock DZ302 that had a run of 530HP @ 8,500 RPM. The old 302s would turn in excess of 7,000 RPM right off the production line, don't take my word for it, ask any of the 28,103 owners that bought one '67-'69.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote