Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-30-2007, 09:07 PM   #15
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
But isn't the GTO attributed with starting muscle cars? though I guess the camaro is in a bit of a different class, pony cars. However, I think that the baricuda also fits into that catigory and I think it came out before the mustang as well. Then again, those are just technicalities. the popularity of cheap fast cars in the 60's did indeed come from the mustang and the camaro/firebird was the answer from GM
Yep, the GTO is credited as started the muscle car trend. And you're right, the Camaro and Mustang are pony cars. The Barracuda did come out a few weeks before the Mustang, but it didn't come close to the numbers. The Mustang may have come second, but it's popularity and sheer numbers led GM to commission the Camaro. Had it just been the Barricuda, I think that the segment would have failed or at least been postponed. All in all the more choices the better. Pays off for us. Besides, we need somebody to beat
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:19 PM   #16
darthknight72

Drives: 1983 trans am
Everyone needs a rival if not life would be pretty boring to quote a line from Talledga Nights "God needed the Devil,The Beetles needed the rolling stones,even Diane Sawyer needed Katie Kouric.Will you be my Katie Kouric?"
darthknight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:10 PM   #17
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinMatt View Post
Yes, but the Camaro would likely have never been built, at least not in the way we know it, had Ford not introduced the Mustang back in 1964 (1/2, for those that will correct me )
I completely agree 100% on that. Camaro was Chevrolet's direct competition with Mustang.

But as for now...I heard that GM already had plans for a new Camaro as they were canceling it. Not definite "we're-going-to-build-it" plans, but an idea, if you will. All the Mustang did, IMO, was nudge them a little. Then, like Whiterag said, the resounding response at 2006 NAIAS, is was what really did it. Without that, Camaro would be a multi-million dollar concept car sitting in a warehouse somewhere. And I probably wouldn't have found this "Camaro-World"
Old 07-31-2007, 07:36 AM   #18
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I completely agree 100% on that. Camaro was Chevrolet's direct competition with Mustang.

But as for now...I heard that GM already had plans for a new Camaro as they were canceling it. Not definite "we're-going-to-build-it" plans, but an idea, if you will. All the Mustang did, IMO, was nudge them a little. Then, like Whiterag said, the resounding response at 2006 NAIAS, is was what really did it. Without that, Camaro would be a multi-million dollar concept car sitting in a warehouse somewhere. And I probably wouldn't have found this "Camaro-World"

I agree with that...the success of the recent Mustang inspired a concept Camaro, and the huge response pushed it farther into future production.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote