Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 01-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #15
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
edit, edit, edit....is that better?

Sometimes I type faster than I think. lol
Old 01-29-2012, 12:13 AM   #16
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
And so are you.
edit, edit, edit....is that better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRLOIN View Post
So your saying that GM would supply a zl1 to a magazine publisher, going up against one of its competitors cars in one of the first head to head comparisons, thats going to be published, with worn out tires?
No, not worn out. But worn, nonetheless...especially after that track day with multiple magazines slinging the car around the track. And when pulling over 1 g in every corner...over, and over, and over...it stands to reason the outside treads of the tire will get more worn than the inside (which look nearly new).
Old 01-29-2012, 12:14 AM   #17
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
So your saying that GM would supply a zl1 to a magazine publisher, going up against one of its competitors cars in one of the first head to head comparisons, thats going to be published, with worn out tires?
you don't know when the pictures were taken... before or after all the track time...

so again are you being accusatory or are you basing your opinion on some fact...

according to the picture Dragoneye posted... they had plenty of tread...

Oh did you check the resolution of the pictures... you do know that when you zoom in the image quality gets worse not better??? particularly with web quality images...
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:14 AM   #18
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:

Sometimes I type faster than I think. lol
The key is the "=" in the first quote tag.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:17 AM   #19
BigDan

Drives: bug
Quote:
Could it be, that a ZL1 with upwards of 5-10,000 very hard miles on it would show signs of tire-wear?
As a fellow member who has 10,000+ miles on a set his own set of F1 G2's I can tell you that after "5-10k very hard miles" there would be no tread blocks left. It doesn't take many laps for the G2's to appear bald, and most likely it left Michigan with a new set because they wear out so quick. I had people the first month telling me that I needed new tires because the way the sidewall wears.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #20
SIRLOIN
Banned

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Quote:
And so are you.
Yeah, i put that they looked abused because someone said earlier that there was no proof that the picture of the boss's tires were before or after the race. Also its my understanding that GM supplied the zl1 and Motor Trend supplied the boss. Not Ford.
SIRLOIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:37 AM   #21
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Yeah, i put that they looked abused because someone said earlier that there was no proof that the picture of the boss's tires were before or after the race. Also its my understanding that GM supplied the zl1 and Motor Trend supplied the boss. Not Ford.
I know what you were asking and wondering.

My point was from the aspect that you are assuming things that you don't know.

It's a ridiculous accusation with no foundation.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:41 AM   #22
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
I appreciate the gesture of editing out the accusation...
Your understanding is correct, but does it matter who supplied the vehicle?

To my knowledge...Track-duty is widely accepted as a form of vehicular abuse. GM used a 24-hour track test to abuse and break the car before we got a chance to do the same.

I will rephrase a question I asked earlier...given the fact it was put through its paces many, many, many times during that day...is it any wonder at all that certain pictures will appear to have worn or "abused" tires?

Alright...I'll ask this, too. Lord knows where this will go...

I'd like to know where this underlying assumption that Chevy has to "cheat" to beat the Boss is coming from. Given all we know about it's development and specifications...Is it so surprising to you SIRLOIN, that the ZL1 is THAT good?
Old 01-29-2012, 12:42 AM   #23
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Good read and observation. However, I believe the tread wear is from aggressive driving and NOT from tire shaving.
Look at this ZL1 testing video, especially beginning at 2:10. The car has the same Michigan license plate as the picture you posted above. The burnout and hard driving contributed to the tire wear.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:46 AM   #24
Sweet Zness
Because I Can

Drives: 08 IOM G8GT 11 Victory Red SS
Maybe my eyes are terrible, but the larger picture posted still looks as if the inside wall of the passenger rear is pretty much treadless. You cant see the driver side. The original picture posted you only see the rears, and I don't see a difference in the tires from one picture to the next.

As to weather or not that indicates a "Cheat" or "shaving" or just old tires that are beat up is for anyone else to debate.
Sweet Zness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:08 AM   #25
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I liked the other thread better...

...if you're not cheating you're not trying...
Old 01-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #26
NoWRX
Banned

Drives: 2011 STi - World Rally Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by trz174 View Post
Maybe it's just a newbie thing. In my case it took me until my seventh or eighth post and well into the third day after I joined the forum to realize how easy it is to appear confrontational. I will bet breakfast that this post will have more hang time than a fart in church on the Mustang forum. Next post will probably compare wax jobs or discuss the impact of a spare tire in the Mustang when there wasn't one in the Camaro. Newbies should also be aware that phrases like "I'm just saying" and "Hey Bro, no disrespect intended" must be included in all posts where facts may or may not support an observation. So, Hey Bro, no disrespect intended and I'm just saying....
Yeah, theres definitely a double standard here when it comes to Camaro owners and owners of other cars in terms of post quality.

At any rate, this is conspiracy theory nonsense. You have no idea when those pictures were taken, if it's even the same car, when the tires were changed etc.
NoWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #27
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
I'm not touching this one. I fear that what I want to say will only add fuel to the fire. *exits stage left.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #28
SIRLOIN
Banned

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Question

Quote:
...given the fact it was put through its paces many, many, many times during that day...is it any wonder at all that certain pictures will appear to have worn or "abused" tires?

I'd like to know where this underlying assumption that Chevy has to "cheat" to beat the Boss is coming from. Given all we know about it's development and specifications...Is it so surprising to you SIRLOIN, that the ZL1 is THAT good?

I agree...But do we know for a "fact" that it was put though its paces many, many, many times during that day, or was it just two laps around a very short track? I know, i know another speculation right...

Look all this comes from the pictures taken showing the zl1 with what appears to be borderline slicks, and the boss with what appears to be normal tires. Bottom line is yes this all is speculation, and we dont know the exact circumstances of the pictures. Just thought it was odd and wanted to see what everyone else thought.

Also there is no assumption that Chevy HAS to cheat to beat the boss. The zl1 seems to handle a road course just fine, and considering the zl1 is about 10k more, it should beat it. So to answer your question, no its not surprising. Maybe it was just that it was closer than what Chevy would have liked it to be considering cost and all, and they wanted to make sure it wasnt that close. But again this is more speculating(based on pics)...I'll leave it alone, and no more speculating about it from me... More tests to come soon enough...
SIRLOIN is offline   Reply With Quote