Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-02-2007, 10:22 AM   #15
urbanlegend
Wanabe SS owner

Drives: Nissan 350Z
Good read. I'm looking forward to returning to domestics.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:46 AM   #16
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
It's a sad but true story, people have to wake up and see what's happening right here. I never have or will consider an import, if I have to pay a little more for an AMERICAN car I'll do it. The biggest joke I see going so far is hyunduh claiming to be american made since they have a factory here in the US and that maybe so, but the money's still going over there into their pockets. Nice try, but no thanks.
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:01 AM   #17
urbanlegend
Wanabe SS owner

Drives: Nissan 350Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak View Post
It's a sad but true story, people have to wake up and see what's happening right here. I never have or will consider an import, if I have to pay a little more for an AMERICAN car I'll do it. The biggest joke I see going so far is hyunduh claiming to be american made since they have a factory here in the US and that maybe so, but the money's still going over there into their pockets. Nice try, but no thanks.

Hyunduh? Are you talking about Honda, Hyundai or is that a play on words? I will point out one thing that I've noticed over the last year, Honda and Toyota build new factories in the states while Ford moves them all away. That's pittiful. There's no reason why an American car company should be building the bulk of their vehicles outside of the U.S. just to turn around, mark the price way up, and then sell them to the very people they abandoned in the first place. That's obscene. Maybe I'm seeing the world through rose colored glasses, but GM hasn't followed Ford by doing this. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I left domestics 7 years ago and am new getting back into the game.

One problem with our country is that we are so obsessed with status. We place status in cars that are really no better than what is built here as far as reliability. Audi, VW, BMW, Saab, Volvo are all great for the length of a lease and sometimes not even then. These severly overpriced and over engineered machines break big and expensive. If only stocks mirrored the rate at which the cost of maintenance goes up with age on those status symbols we'd all own a condo in South Beach.

Honda, Toyota and Subaru (yes, I did leave out Nissan because they're american cars do not impress me) are reliable but at what cost? My Civic is my pride and joy, but the cheap fit and finish on it from easily scrathed interior panels to thin paint and countless rattles drive owners nuts! Unfortunately, Lexus and Infinity lead all automakers in reliability and fit and finish so I can't say anything there.

In the last few years, Chevy, Dodge, and Chrysler have improved by leaps and bounds. From looks to options to reliability to cost, they've turned over a new leaf. If only our materialistic, status oriented, I wanna be Paris Hilton or Demi Moore society would grow up and see past the trees, they might actually appreciate the forest. If it weren't for american cars, their beauty and power, the international automotive industry would not be where it is today.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:27 AM   #18
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak View Post
The biggest joke I see going so far is hyunduh claiming to be american made since they have a factory here in the US and that maybe so, but the money's still going over there into their pockets. Nice try, but no thanks.
Actually, you're thinking is a bit skewed. Yes, the profit form the sales are going to a big asian CEO overseas.

However, the profits from your GM/Ford/Chevy are just going to some American CEO. I'm not sure why that matters really, it doesn't change MY economy to which overpaid stockholder gets it.

The fact is, when the cars are BUILT HERE, that's jobs here. Jobs here means money from the sale of those "imports" are going back into circulation here.

Not Mexico, Canada, or wherever else we are outsourcing from at that moment.

That's my take on it.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:16 PM   #19
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Ok...well no disrespect was taken. I just wondered because we have the family KIA Sorento. It is by far the best SUV with the highest quality at the best price. Problems we've had so far? The light for the passenger airbag sometimes didn't come on....it was a factory recall. Loose wiring under drivers seat...fixed. Radio lights turned off on us...factory fixed. That's it in three years. I'd buy another KIA Sorento in a HEARTBEAT!!! I love'em.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:33 PM   #20
darthknight72

Drives: 1983 trans am
My dad,grandad and uncle are all retired GM employees,so I guess Im a little biased toward american cars,especially GM's.I just feel a lot of american pride driving around an american muscle car.I just couldnt see myself driving an import.Plus even though some american cars are assembeled overseas they are still designed in america.Same thing goes for the imports,even though they have factories in the united states they are still designed overseas.Having said that I just love the styling and that big american V-8 muscle car there is really nothing like it.
darthknight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:26 PM   #21
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
It's funny you say that Dark....

How many GM products already (in addition to those that are still coming out) have been designed in Austrailia? Quite a few. Caddy is doing a lot of designing in Europe (trying to keep up with BMW and MB). Ford's US designed autos have sold like crap, so they are moving toward their Euro-designed cars.

On the flip side, Kia, Hyundai, and Toyota all have design studios right here in the good ole US of A. The Tundra (ugly as it is) was designed and built right here in America.

As for what MerF said, I can see his point, I just disagree with it a little. GM (meaning Chevy, Caddy, Buick, GMC, Pontiac, Saturn, and Hummer), Ford (meaning Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury), and Chrysler (meaning Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep) are American company. I left out Holden (Australian), Opel (German), Saab (Swedish), Vauxhall (British), Daewoo (Korean), Isuzu (Japanese) (only partially owned by GM), Mazda (Japanese) (only partially owned by Ford), Volvo (Swedish), Land Rover (British), and Jaguar (British) because they are foreign companies owned by American ones.

Toyota, building trucks in Indiana or not, is not an American company. BMW, building SUVs and some cars in South Carolina or not, is not an American company. Try telling one of their engineers that their so called "German engineering" is really American. They'd slap you.

You've got to go by where they are headquartered. Toyota and Honda will never become American companies. They won't move their HQ's here....it would probably be seen as dishonorable or something. BMW, MB, etc...they won't become American companies because they wouldn't want to "take a step down" in status. GM, while building numerous cars outside the US, designing cars outside the US, etc is an American company. So are Ford and Chrysler.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:41 PM   #22
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
Quote:
However, the profits from your GM/Ford/Chevy are just going to some American CEO. I'm not sure why that matters really, it doesn't change MY economy to which overpaid stockholder gets it.

The fact is, when the cars are BUILT HERE, that's jobs here. Jobs here means money from the sale of those "imports" are going back into circulation here
I have to respectfully disagree Mr. MerF. As we've mentioned before, assembly is one component of the whole value added process of manufacturing a vehicle. Buying a GM car assembled in Canada or Mexico still supports more US jobs than buying a foreign vehicle that was assembled in the US. You have to factor in the engineering, testing, R&D, tooling that for the most part is still primarily done in the US and Canada. It's not just the CEO and shareholders that benefits when you buy from the big three, there are many other workers across the country that stay employed as a result of your decision.

The foreign manufacturers that assemble vehicles here are not doing it out the goodness of the their hearts. They are in it to make a profit. They are not charities. Our stupid ass government often provides huge tax breaks to get their plants here. These foreign car companies also then don't have to deal with tariffs or transportation fees. Plus, as we've seen time and time again in these posts, it increases their sales as the general US public perceives these vehicle to more American than those built by let's say GM in Canada.

Bottom line is simple economics, reducing US consumption of goods produced by foreign owned corporations benefits us all.

If I hear one more person say "Well my Toyota was built in the US..." I'll stop ranting. I'm getting pissed. I like this forum and the people that post here and would like to stay a member in good standing.

Nothing personal, it just worries me that so many people think it's ok to buy rice burners.
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:59 PM   #23
darthknight72

I agree with that totally.One of the main reason imports come over here is to claim they are american made cars,its cool that some people get good paying jobs because of these companys.I think its a shame that Bush gives all these incentives to foriegn companys to come over here.Hell look at nascar they got toyotas running in nascar now.I dont know what thats about.I know I for one will always but an american car.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:09 PM   #24
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthknight72 View Post
I agree with that totally.One of the main reason imports come over here is to claim they are american made cars,its cool that some people get good paying jobs because of these companys.I think its a shame that Bush gives all these incentives to foriegn companys to come over here.Hell look at nascar they got toyotas running in nascar now.I dont know what thats about.I know I for one will always but an american car.
Bush? You want to blame all of that on Bush?

BMW opened that plant in SC on Clinton's watch. Toyota got started here in the US back in '86 during the Regan years.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:39 PM   #25
darthknight72

I was making a comment on politicans in general,although I dont have any love for bush.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:43 PM   #26
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthknight72 View Post
I was making a comment on politicans in general,although I dont have any love for bush.
Bush sucks... I couldn't vote at the time, but I sure as hell wouldn't have voted for him!
Old 08-02-2007, 04:56 PM   #27
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
"Well....uh.....well....." ~ George W. Bush that man was a failure at life.

Anyway. I posted this A while back, but I guess it kinda fits here too.

Quote:
I want EVERYBODY to know I like GM best, all the way, hands down, okay? Okay.

Frankly, GM is no longer an "American Company". It is an "American Based Company"...still means the same thing, pretty much, but there is a difference. GM is, and has been a global Company, Britain, Australia, India...and more. So saying that the Foriegn car companys need to leave the US (like I have, for so, so long.), is pretty much the epitomy of Hipocracy. Because GM is in other foriegn countrys much like Toyota is in ours.

So badging a car with a nationality, still applys. Depending on where the Company is originally from. It's the same as the nationality of humans. No matter where your "born", you still have roots to somewhere else, and that's what you are!

What I will say, is this: I don't care if GM is the #1 Global car company, because if toyota sells in China, too, then they've got us beat already. China (population) is HUGE. However, as long as GM is #1 in the US, Which I think it is safe to say is true, Then I'm happy.

I will also say, that I still think Toyota and Nissan, and the rest, need to back off a little. It's not fair that they're getting these rumored tax breaks to be here, and our own companys aren't.

Then, after saying that...The fact that GM is still "no. 2", and will remain at least that (what other competition for the top to they have?), is a reflection of how great they really are as a company...overcoming the tax breaks they don't get, and the China population factor - and still staying on top. Cause let's face it folks, "on top" is a figure of speech in this instance: GM and Toyota are virtually equals, we're talking hundreds, or thousands of cars difference that make Toyota "# 1"...they're both #1, but there can't be a tie in the books.

Toyota is a Good company, but honestly, and we all know it, GM is better. Toyota has the wind at it's back, and GM is swimming against the current, yet they are still tied.

To put it in Camaro terms. It's the equivilant to this: The Camaro isn't the best Car in the World, but it's still up there. What more can you ask for?
Old 08-06-2007, 01:07 AM   #28
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Even though the Camaro and the Challenger are both to be made in Canada, they are still American cars (the province of Ontario produces about as many cars as the state of Michigan). I am not buying a camaro because it is made in Canada, I am going to buy it because it will have amazing power, great looks, is made by GM, and so on.

On a side note, I still don't understand the markup on cars here. Cars manufactured in Canada then exported to the US cost about 20% more here, when don't have to be shipped as far. And the exchange rate is around $0.90-$0.95 right now so that doesn't explain it either
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote