Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Drop springs/stabilizers or coilovers?

I'm debating whether to go with drop springs and stabilizers and have them installed or coilovers and do the install myself. If I'm correct, from what I've seen on these threads, a set of springs is about $300, stabilizers $450,and install around $500 for a total of about $1250. A set of coilovers is about the same cost if I install them myself. I'll maybe have to have an alignment done but that should be around $70. It will be easier for me to install the coilovers because I don't have or know how to use a sping compressor for drop coils and I don't think I'll need a set of stabilizers with the coilovers. I won't be racing but I like spirited street driving and I don't want to sacrifice riding comfort. Anyone with expertise please chime in and give me a sanity check. I think my numbers and logic are correct but I'm looking for advise! Thanks!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
If you're considering doing the coilovers yourself, why not do the springs and sways yourself?
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

I never used a spring compressor and it just seems like a lot less work to install coilovers and not bother with stabilizers. I don't think you need a spring compressor for coilovers...or do you?
Old 01-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Hi ssmike!

Well, it sounds like you have the age-old dilemma of what products to install on your car's suspension, to suit your personal needs. I can't tell you how many times I've had the same questions. I think your first idea, of going with a set of drop springs and upgraded stabilizer bars, may best suit what you want to do with the car. Of course this is just my opinion, but I'd like to explain why.

First, it doesn't sound like you would be taking full advantage of all the added benefits of a coilover suspension. I think you can achieve the look and handling characteristics you want, simply with a set of matched stabilizer bars and drop springs.

Second, it sounds like you are hesitant about installing the springs and anti-roll bars by yourself, because you don't have the appropriate spring compressor to remove the OEM springs from the OEM struts. I think if you can install the coilovers yourself, then you should consider the option of installing the spring/sway bar package yourself as well. A spring compressor can be rented at most local auto-parts stores, and there is a great write up here, privided by FrankT, showing just how easy it is (spring install):

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56127

There are a number of others on here that have had success installing their springs and sway bars themselves, and have nothing but great things to say about it.

Third, the ride quality (or ride comfort) associated with the spring upgrade is more relative to OEM ride quality, than your typical coilover design. This isn't to say you can't achieve the same ride quality with coilovers, I'm just suggesting that maintaining the OEM dampers with upgraded springs will certainly keep the ride comfort you desire.

If you have any other questions or want some recommendations, we are here to help.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
I never used a spring compressor and it just seems like a lot less work to install coilovers and not bother with stabilizers. I don't think you need a spring compressor for coilovers...or do you?
No, in my experience, the spring compressor will only be needed when removing the OEM springs from the OEM struts. Installing springs on coilovers, or installing drop springs on OEM struts should not require the compressor.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Thanks for the honest reply! Greatly appreciated!