Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
pluckracin

Drives: 2012 zl1
oil catch tank

i got tank mounted today in special location,, will up date how it does.
Attached Images

pluckracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
jimmy5

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #450
If I were to have that. I would take a brillopad and stretch it out some and place it in between in there. Some sort of filtering media.
jimmy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
pluckracin

does not open no access-- by the way your car was 15 back from my #435

Last edited by pluckracin; 09-19-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
pluckracin

test unit

i'll let you know how it does jimmy- you must live on here too, thanks for all your input, f-bodfather says we should all be caring people on here.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
dpslugger12

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I've been hearing everyone talk about the need for the catch can and how much you need one. Can someone please tell me why it is needed so bad and if it is worth it if i dont plan on racing my ZL1?
dpslugger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
ZL1Bullet

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpslugger12 View Post
I've been hearing everyone talk about the need for the catch can and how much you need one. Can someone please tell me why it is needed so bad and if it is worth it if i dont plan on racing my ZL1?
I'm not a mechanic so I didn't even know what a catch can was till I looked it up. I found a video of a 'how to' by a young man who made one from a pickle jar. He put it on a pickup truck (Ford F150 I believe). He rev'd the engine and through the merit of using a pickle jar, you could see the fog of - for lack of a better term - impurities. As I understand it, that goes back into your intake?? You don't have to race your car for that impurity to start building up over time. It undoubtedly would take a longer time, but it's going to get there. I'm planning on taking my ZL1 to 'lapping nights' at my local track once in a while. But even without that plan, I'd like to think that I'm getting all the performance out of my car all the time. The catch can is just one way to help do that. I don't think it's expensive either. And it seems pretty simple to hook up.

Maybe have a look for that video on Youtube.

ZL1Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
ZL1Bullet

Drives: ZL1
Here's the link.

Hope that helps.

ZL1Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
pluckracin

no sign of oil

well 4 days of use not a sign of any oil in can as of yet maybe by 3000 miles, or go race it hard for several hours??????
Old 09-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
We did the oil pull through test and it saturated the clear glass fuel filter in less than 100 miles and it had a vacuum leak we could not stop....so when we tried to open the can none of the joints would release. So we cut it lengthways (as we do with all we test) and here is what we found:

There is a plastic resin poured into it (thats the clear windows) and that is what seals it all together. Well it did not cover all inside so it allowed vacuum to leak out the top portion. (see the section on the bottom, right next to the tube, at the top where the resin did not coat....you DONT want a vacuum leak causing a lean condition, especially on a FI engine).

As you can see, the top section is the same simple in and out and the screen is below it all. If they extended the inlet tube into the screen this would actuall work much better as the screen would coalesce a good amount of the oil, and the oil laden vapors would still condense some by cooling before exiting through the screen. But the plastic insulates the cooling the aluminum would normally give so its ability to condesnse is greatly reduced.

So, in conclusion, this looks great, but is really no different from the other ebay/china style cans.

The vacuum leak is pretty substantial but we still collected some oil. I would NOT put this on a car I paid $60k for......

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
SC2150
Account Suspended

ZL1bullet. That mason jar will work far better as the glass will transfer heat very well and condense some of the oil where the ebay cans plastic inside insulates it preventing it from cooling well.

This video is an excellent example of what happens inside any can...and even though it is empty as well with just 2 fittings on it, it is large enough for the flow to slow enough so the condesing oil can fall out of suspension.

More effective than any of the ebay type cans.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #11
SC2150
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpslugger12 View Post

Here are some good threads to read:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250890

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249974
Old 09-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #12
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
I'm looking for advice from engine builders, or sponsors, doing modifications currently on the ZL1. My question is; who do you regard as the best fitting, and best overall performing catch can available for the ZL1. Is RX about as good as it gets? I want something that fits right, looks like it belongs there, and is well designed. Anyone have any pics of a RX catch can installed on a ZL1?
Old 09-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #13
SC2150
Account Suspended

It can also be mounted lower and less visable if desired.

Have been building race and performance engines for over 38 year, but here is a brief list of other qualifications:

I have been a GM tech and building race and peformance engines for over 38 years. I am in regular contact with GM, Ford & Chrysler engineers and we share tech info. I AM an automotive/mechanical engineer, graduate of reher Morrisson race engine building school, have developed products for the performance industry the past 20 or so years, manufacture 33 currently, sell these to GM dealers all the time, Do seminars for GM service departments on the causes and solutions for excess oil consumption as well as the issues for oil ingestion and how to avoid them (#1 warranty complaint for years running with GM), contributing editor to several performance industry publications, and I am showing actual pictures of engines and their mileage here in our shop where we tear these down and rebuild daily.

We are known as one of the foremost authorities on the GM 3.6L direct injection engine and also have run, owned, managed, driven, and crewed in some of the winningest drag teams in NHRA & IHRA Sportsman classes as well as the big $ bracket series.

We (current, former, and myself as drivers) hold multiple Divisional, National, and World Championships in multiple classes both NHRA & IHRA and if you need more, just ask.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
Hercules

Drives: 13 ZL1 1091, 04 Ram 2500, 12 CX9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post

Just ordered mine yesterday in CRT. Can't wait to get and install it. First mod to the car! I want this thing to outlast my grandkids, when I have them. It sounds like this is a step in the right direction. Reading everything you've written about this, it definitely sounded like my first must have.
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote