Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #29
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
You're not a man until you're changing diapers.

In that case, I'm happy to stay a pansy for a while.
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #30
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefe's SS View Post
And as it's your vehicle, you're certainly entitled to your opinion... It's cool, my builder told me to feel free to jump on it but not to engine decelerate. He built my motor, and maintains it, and stakes his reputation and his lively hood on his work.

There was a great thread here by Darin Morgan ,I believe, about proper break in... Interesting read if you are interested...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #31
Jefe's SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorAirForce View Post
Plus the owner's manual says since the transmission is a sealed gearbox the trans fluid doesn't need to be replaced.
Unless you overheat the fluid it does not need to be changed. It's a sealed unit. Meaning that contaminants are not able to contaminant the fluid. When you are able to change the fluid in a tranny you generally can only change approx. 50% or less of the fluid anyway. In order to properly change the fluids in a modern automatic transmission you'll need to connect it to a specialized machine that pumps the old fluid out and new fluid in. It's not a cheap machine so you would need to take it to a service center to properly change it. Hence the sealed unit.

BTW it's not just Chevy doing this. Most if not all new car manufacturers supply their automatics w/ a sealed unit. Both the Lexus I have owned came w/ sealed units.

In my personal experience w/ automatic transmissions the majority of issues or failure came shortly after a fluid change was performed.

Unless you do heavy towing there's really no need to ever change the fluid in a automatic transmission. Today's fluids will last as long as the service life of the transmission. And yes a transmission has a service life just like brakes, clutches, tires, etc.
Jefe's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #32
HoboDelta

Drives: 02 Dodge Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
And as it's your vehicle, you're certainly entitled to your opinion... It's cool, my builder told me to feel free to jump on it but not to engine decelerate. He built my motor, and maintains it, and stakes his reputation and his lively hood on his work.

There was a great thread here by Darin Morgan ,I believe, about proper break in... Interesting read if you are interested...

Probably gonna sound like a n00b, but what do you mean by engine decelerate?
HoboDelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #33
friskyshouse

Drives: 2010 ABM 1LT RS
Some of GM's best kept secrets are in the Owners Manual.
friskyshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #34
electlatino

Drives: 2SS with RS and Ground Effects
owner's manual is written by corporate lawyers with the main concern of limiting liability for the company, not your best interests. so this time, the owner's manual is not the "go to"

plenty of discussion on this topic already:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39955

enjoy!! by the way, i followed the hard break in procedure and i loved it. whether it improved performance or not, i can't truly say, but damn it was fun!

and if it breaks, that's what a warranty is for. also, if it breaks in the first 1500 miles, it was going to break anyways because something was wrong. better to get it done now then at 37000 miles and have a warranty battle with the dealer.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #35
Gordo

Drives: CMG 2SS/RS
The only thing I ever break in is new clutch or set of gears,get a few heat cycles through it and beat it like a rented mule.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #36
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboDelta View Post
Probably gonna sound like a n00b, but what do you mean by engine decelerate?
We were all noobs at one time, if you don't ask, you won't know, but downshifting and letting the motor slow the vehicle down is engine braking or decelerating...

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 08-07-2011, 01:44 AM   #37
HoboDelta

Drives: 02 Dodge Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
We were all noobs at one time, if you don't ask, you won't know, but downshifting and letting the motor slow the vehicle down is engine braking or decelerating...
Thank you very much. Exactly the answer i was looking for. Could i still experience this in an Auto with Tapshift when i get mine in about 18 months?
HoboDelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #38
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboDelta View Post
Thank you very much. Exactly the answer i was looking for. Could i still experience this in an Auto with Tapshift when i get mine in about 18 months?
Yes but probably not to the degree you do with a manual transmission. If you are in the normal drive mode, the car will control the downshift points, and it will slow, but not like downshifting a manual from sixth on the interstate to third on the exit ramp and hanging her on the clutch... I admit it sounds cool with exhaust popping and stuff, but, it's not recommended for a new motor before the rings are fully seated... It allows the rings to float in the piston grooves...

In tap shift mode, yes, it's very possible... I don't advise it, but having said that, don't try to shift into neutral either, just leave it in drive mode until break in is finished, and then have fun... 1000-1500 miles depending on driving style, and change the oil fairly early.... Despite what the book or others say... It'll be you car and your motor... Then go to a regular interval...

Old 08-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #39
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Put the supercharger on it yesterday. That will be soon enough.

I wubs my maggie.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #40
Brian52682

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
I am actually unsure the exact model of supercharger I am putting on it but one of my buddies friends owns a shop and he does a lot of Camaro/Vette work. He is going to do everything including installing for 6,000. He is also going to do a computer mod, dyno tune, open up the exhaust with new headers/exhaust.
Brian52682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #41
Brian52682

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Also thanks all for all the replies!
Brian52682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #42
JPDeMircift

Drives: 2011 Summit White 1LT RS
when your ready to break the man code like I did its in "Driving and Operating 9-17" of the owners manual, felt kinda bad because i read it kinda late and did not exactly "follow the rules of the Vehicle Break-In" during my break in period.
JPDeMircift is offline   Reply With Quote