Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 01:06 AM   #1
nolimits76

Drives: '07 Titan CC
Okay V6'ers....Explain Why You *Didn't* Buy an SS...

I am currently researching and trying to decide on the perfect ride. I have driven the SS and came UNGLUED with 426hp mated behind a 6-speed.

However, I'm also noticing a trend of SS owners that garage their rides during the week and saves them for the weekend. Not me, I am wanting a daily driver!

So tell me V6'ers....what made you choose the V6 over the more potent SS?
Old 11-30-2010, 01:21 AM   #2
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Most will say insurance, fuel mileage and no need for 426hp. I fall into that catagory, problem is, most of us are modding the v6, lol! While not the sheer animal the LS3 is, the LLT is proving itself to be a go getter. Look at ROD1, with LTs, CAI, tune, axleback and a 125 shot, on DRs, he's damn near in the 11s. Without the shot, low 13s. The car is plenty capable of satisfying all but the most extreme needs for speed.

In return, we get lower then average, on the Camaro, insurance premiums and better gas mileage. And if you don't want to run 91/93 octane, you don't have too, and you don't risk losing any power. Although, the LLT does tend to produce less KR with higher octane, it'll run fine for a daily driver on 87.

You can still get an RS if that's important, and still have the same look, with all the interior amenities being equal as well. And save a few grand to boot, unless you opt for a 2LT, which will run the about the same as a 1SS. But you do gain all the niceness inside with the 2LT, lol.

I'm sure more will follow.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:27 AM   #3
dougpaw57

Drives: 2011 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to dougpaw57 Send a message via Skype™ to dougpaw57
I could have afforded an SS but I have to drive mine every day. Round trip to work is 80 miles per day minimum.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:36 AM   #4
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
The biggest reason for me was price...

I really wanted the SS, but kept hearing how strong the manual V6 felt.
I drove the auto V6 earlier and wasn't impressed...

I really went to the dealership looking for a truck last year to make it through the winter since I replaced the transmission in the car I was driving and didn't trust the rebuild enough to hold onto it... it just didn't feel right to me.

When I got there they had like 10 Camaros on the lot and I decided I wanted to see how the manual V6 felt. I ended up coming home with one that night. It had enough power to provide me that permagrin. I know it's not really any faster than the auto, but it "feels" faster and is more fun to drive. The extra gas mileage was just a bonus.

I'm still very happy with my decision a year later. The car fit my budget and I was able to get it sooner than I expected. If I had waited to save up for the SS, who knows if I'd have the car yet...
Old 11-30-2010, 01:39 AM   #5
nolimits76

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
Most will say insurance, fuel mileage and no need for 426hp.
I can see insurance. I am certain for younger drivers, the SS can be a killer. I am 34 and the SS costs me $3/mo more than my 07 Titan. In fairness, I was shocked. I had to confirm it was an SS and not the V6. I remember back when I was 18 and had my first Camaro. The insurance was more than the friggin' car payment, LOL.

I'm not sure I can agree with fuel savings. I'm looking at a manual and the SS gets 16/24 while the V6 only offers 17/28. I guess it depends how you drive, but the only time I've ever seen the top end ratings is if it's all highway driving, I'm going downhill and there is a good tail wind behind me. So I'd anticipate 20mpg on average from the SS and 22-23mpg from the V6. You can't argue you'd save more, but the MPG's are very minimal.

One thing I might have overlooked is the need for premium fuel. I wasn't aware the SS required premium. Running at the track is a different story, I'm just talking about putting to & from work. Will the SS not run as well, or does it do any damage using just regular 87 unleaded?

Btw...hope no one thinks I'm bashing the V6....I am seriously just talking out loud and trying to be open-minded.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:43 AM   #6
BrandonB956

Drives: RS (11/15/10)
Because as a 16 year old , I feel like the luckiest kid in the world .

Nov.15th 2010 -- Check out my build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116235
Old 11-30-2010, 01:45 AM   #7
nolimits76

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingnotes View Post
The biggest reason for me was price...

I really wanted the SS, but kept hearing how strong the manual V6 felt.
I drove the auto V6 earlier and wasn't impressed...

I really went to the dealership looking for a truck last year to make it through the winter since I replaced the transmission in the car I was driving and didn't trust the rebuild enough to hold onto it... it just didn't feel right to me.

When I got there they had like 10 Camaros on the lot and I decided I wanted to see how the manual V6 felt. I ended up coming home with one that night. It had enough power to provide me that permagrin. I know it's not really any faster than the auto, but it "feels" faster and is more fun to drive. The extra gas mileage was just a bonus.

I'm still very happy with my decision a year later. The car fit my budget and I was able to get it sooner than I expected. If I had waited to save up for the SS, who knows if I'd have the car yet...
I whole heartedly agree price is much, much sweeter on the V6.

In regards to the whole stick vs auto thing, I hear you loud & clear. I have only driven SS's thus far. My first test drive was an auto. It was powerful, but not overly impressive. Second test drive was at a different dealer in an auto, but this time the salesman showed me how to put it in competitive mode (basically old school tire spinning -- no traction control). The car was much, much more impressive. I was very impressed. Then came the 3rd test drive, a 6-speed in competitive mode. Holy crap, my heart about jumped out of my chest during the test drive!
Old 11-30-2010, 01:46 AM   #8
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Putting 87 in the V8 won't damage it, but it will retard the timing and make the car slower. I remember a thread where the dealer had put 87 in someone's car for delivery and it got stuck on the lower fuel table, even after using higher octane fuel.(This was before they figured out the fuse pull fix).

The customer raced the SS against a V6 the dealer had on the lot and the V6 beat it.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:57 AM   #9
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimits76 View Post
I can see insurance. I am certain for younger drivers, the SS can be a killer. I am 34 and the SS costs me $3/mo more than my 07 Titan. In fairness, I was shocked. I had to confirm it was an SS and not the V6. I remember back when I was 18 and had my first Camaro. The insurance was more than the friggin' car payment, LOL.

I'm not sure I can agree with fuel savings. I'm looking at a manual and the SS gets 16/24 while the V6 only offers 17/28. I guess it depends how you drive, but the only time I've ever seen the top end ratings is if it's all highway driving, I'm going downhill and there is a good tail wind behind me. So I'd anticipate 20mpg on average from the SS and 22-23mpg from the V6. You can't argue you'd save more, but the MPG's are very minimal.

One thing I might have overlooked is the need for premium fuel. I wasn't aware the SS required premium. Running at the track is a different story, I'm just talking about putting to & from work. Will the SS not run as well, or does it do any damage using just regular 87 unleaded?

Btw...hope no one thinks I'm bashing the V6....I am seriously just talking out loud and trying to be open-minded.
Nah, we can see you're not bashing. Like you, I'm older, so insurance wasn't a deal killer either. I do drive 70 miles round trip for work, so the extra 3-5 mpg, depending upon your foot, does add up. To answer your question about the octane......

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingnotes View Post
Putting 87 in the V8 won't damage it, but it will retard the timing and make the car slower. I remember a thread where the dealer had put 87 in someone's car for delivery and it got stuck on the lower fuel table, even after using higher octane fuel.(This was before they figured out the fuse pull fix).

The customer raced the SS against a V6 the dealer had on the lot and the V6 beat it.
read that ^. The SS can use 87, but it has two fuel maps, and the car "sticks" with the one it learns. If it's had 87 in it, and you want the added timing/power, you'll have to fuse pull, reset the ECM.

One thing I've been curious about, is an SS that's ran premium, then someone dumps 87 in it. I'm guessing the knock sensors would be busier then hell?
Old 11-30-2010, 01:59 AM   #10
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
There must be 100 threads on this ... just look them up and you'll get your answer.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:36 AM   #11
jrcbandit

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
I didn't want to move when my job changed cities so a V8 was not very economical for my hour commute, and I couldn't afford a fully loaded 2SS/RS, just a 1SS. I wanted all the goodies of the 2/RS package, and getting 26-30 mpg average is nice. Plus, my previous car was around 280 hp so I didn't feel like I needed 426.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:45 AM   #12
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
Well I want to mod my camaro. And a body in white is not real economical and supposedly not street legal. So I am buying the most stripped v6 I can v6 m6. Seems like everyone that drag races the SS switches to v6 brakes etc. I honestly dont like the mail slot or the bottom of the front bumper on the v8 car. I also plan on converting it to solid real axle. So for 10 grand less and a smaller payment a month I can do that.

My plans are BBC with twin turbos, faceplated t56, and solid axle and a bunch of other tweaks perks etc

Then the v6 m6 and everything else I will probably put into a 2000 s10 std cab short bed. and have a very peppy truck.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:20 AM   #13
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.

Drives: My wifey ;P
Previous posts covered most of what I had in mind. This is the first car that I ever purchased and I'm still in college paying for my own crap so I don't want to end up selling my car in case something happens( for what I saw and know most of the used camaros are SS), if I bought an SS Ill be living paycheck every paycheck and that will suck.

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:23 AM   #14
whamslam3
Camaro King [^*^*^]

Drives: Apollo 11 Camaro IOM
if u can safely afford a v8 and all of its needs, then definitely get it. but, if you cant, then get a v6. both are awesome cars! you end up with a camaro either way!

Closed Thread