Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-01-2016, 12:02 AM   #1
formoutofchaos

Drives: Camaro 2017 1LE
another GS vs Zl1 opinions?

well I'm narrowed down to the visceral experience of the GS, or the extra punch power of the zl1. a manual zl1 is gonna be close to times of the GS. Plan to track a ton as I'm moving to the south from ca and want to go to every near track possible. I also do want to DD the car but If I have the GS will drive a toyota some days when its raining.

I found a GSfor 58.5k

zl1 i came close to finding 59k as its still new

I wonder if GS with the heavy discount will hold more value
formoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:19 AM   #2
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
I have a hard time not having both. I like that the GS isn't wasting energy spinning the SC and it can use less than 91 octane. I like the raw feel of my 13 ZL1. It would be interesting to drive the new ZL1.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:10 AM   #3
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
But these two cars are so different from driving feel and usage. It's almost like having both a wife (ZL1) and a GF (GS) at the same time. :-)
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:31 AM   #4
formoutofchaos

Like the answer of both ! I wish

So different zl1 I think is more useable , I tend to really like the view out of the vette and targa ! The zl1 is a do everything little
Less flashy I wish I could test drive it first
Old 12-01-2016, 03:18 AM   #5
10spd

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by formoutofchaos View Post
I wonder if GS with the heavy discount will hold more value
The ZL1 will actually have better resale value years down the road in my opinion.

Which transmission are you getting? Will you get the Z07 package?

Another thing that was not mentioned in the other thread is that the GS has dry sump lubrication system, which of course is more ideal for serious track work.
10spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:57 AM   #6
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
I've owned different sports car in my life including a Z06. And I loved the feel of driving a Corvette. It's much lighter and it's CG is much lower and it's in a class by itself. If you don't need the extra seats, get a Corvette.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:33 AM   #7
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
I would take the ZL1, it may not be as quick on the track as the GS but for the other 99.9% of the time you will use your car the ZL1 is the far better choice.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:52 AM   #8
ZLJuann

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10spd View Post
The ZL1 will actually have better resale value years down the road in my opinion.

Doubtful IMO... Look at the 5th gen ZL1 and C6 GS. Just a quick eBay search for a 2012 ZL1 & I found them for $38ish and the 2012 Grand Sport is sitting around $42k. Both similarly equipped and same miles.

As to the OP: Having owned a 5th gen ZL1 and test driving a base stingray & owning a Z06, they all feel so different.
The ZL1 had a "heavy" feeling to it, with a slight squat in the rear when you hit WOT. The Z06 is planted the entire time, in and out of turns, it just asks to be driven harder.

Although I test drove a base stingray, I feel it would be a good comparison to the GS as it has the same power. The stingray feels quick, but it's not like the 5th gen ZL1 sort of quick. The ZL1 gave me that "oh sh!t" feeling every time I hit WOT

I miss 4 seats some times, and the ease of just getting in and driving, but I don't regret this decision.

I would choose the '16 Z06 even with the slight "issues" they currently have.
ZLJuann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:07 PM   #9
formoutofchaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLJuann View Post
Doubtful IMO... Look at the 5th gen ZL1 and C6 GS. Just a quick eBay search for a 2012 ZL1 & I found them for $38ish and the 2012 Grand Sport is sitting around $42k. Both similarly equipped and same miles.

As to the OP: Having owned a 5th gen ZL1 and test driving a base stingray & owning a Z06, they all feel so different.
The ZL1 had a "heavy" feeling to it, with a slight squat in the rear when you hit WOT. The Z06 is planted the entire time, in and out of turns, it just asks to be driven harder.

Although I test drove a base stingray, I feel it would be a good comparison to the GS as it has the same power. The stingray feels quick, but it's not like the 5th gen ZL1 sort of quick. The ZL1 gave me that "oh sh!t" feeling every time I hit WOT

I miss 4 seats some times, and the ease of just getting in and driving, but I don't regret this decision.

I would choose the '16 Z06 even with the slight "issues" they currently have.

Interesting, I almost want to push for a z06 found one for 71.5 but hey I'm already stretching it for the zl1 or GS. I drove the 5th gen zl1 and I felt like it didn't seem as fast or as loud as the 6th gen SS. IDK maybe I didn't push it hard but the exhaust seemed softer maybe i didn't hit WOT. I actually would be interested in a 5th gen zl1 if it didn't overheat with heat soak on the track .

I do think the Corvettes hold value pretty well if you get the huge chunk of MSRP.

I def want to test drive a Zl1 and compare
Old 12-01-2016, 02:19 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
At this price point....get what you WANT....buy the car that calls to you...makes you giggle inside, and leaves you with no regrets when you think about buying it.

Why? Because debates like this can go on and on and on over which car is better for the track, or the street, etc, etc.

Some folks may drool over the track capabilities of the Grand Sport, yet won't go to a road course but once a year, and don't like getting in and out of it every other day.

Other people might go limp in the knees over the power/$$ of the ZL1, but can't stand the fact that it weighs 350lbs more than a Z06.

By the one you want....they are BOTH more capable than 99% of the posters on this forum. And that's not an insult, it's a compliment to the vehicles.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:08 PM   #11
formoutofchaos

I agree that corvettes are not for everyone! i really need to be unclose to a zl1 and check it out, the GS how will those tires hold up ? during rain? do they make all season for that size?
Old 12-01-2016, 03:37 PM   #12
LordKevin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994Camaro View Post
There is something cool about being supercharged. I really like the new ZL1. Having driven both the 5th and 6th gen ZL1, the 2017 really feels like an exotic "supercar"
Lol good one.
LordKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:52 PM   #13
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by formoutofchaos View Post
I agree that corvettes are not for everyone! i really need to be unclose to a zl1 and check it out, the GS how will those tires hold up ? during rain? do they make all season for that size?
You shouldn't have an issue with the GS tires in CA. The MPSS are fine in rain. I drove mine in down pours and I drove it today with 35F temps. Not really a problem. All seasons are an issue. I think its best to go with aftermarket rims (19") to make an all season work on the GS.

If I had to sell the ZL1 or GS, it would be hard to decide which one to let go. They are both really fun and have their pros and cons. I am sure the new ZL1 is even better. I like the loose raw feel of the 13 ZL1. Not sure the new one feels like that or feels more like the vette, which is very tight, planted, and precise feeling. Power wise the GS feels faster, but I don't think it is. I think its just the way the LSA delivers power and the difference in chassis, ride height, visibility, etc.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:59 AM   #14
snackbar64

Drives: SW 2017 ZL1, M6, Carbon, Nav, MR,
ZL1 Top Speed

Many of us will likely never push our cars to the absolute limit and especially their top speeds, but it was a little disheartening to see such a low top speed for the Manual. My 5th gen A6 ZL1 would hit that speed easily as I have actually done it once and there was still more power on tap.

I am wondering if that 173 top speed had more to do with the car not being properly broken in? I am hopeful that the A10 can get into the mid 190s. I will take it to the Salt Flats to try it at least once so I'm looking forward to it.

I wonder how the CTS-V which is heavier, has less power and appears less aerodynamic has a higher, 200 mph top speed?
snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote