Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #85
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
I was totally happy with the acceleration with my 78 and it only had the ultra nerfed 140 hp 305. I got speeding tickets, crashed, jumped, mudded, got kills.. got killed (road races) etc. Now imagine 300 hp
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:16 PM   #86
Mblock66

Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
This is just my personal opinion but I would not even bother owning a Camaro if it wasn't the V8. I had a 1997 30th anniversary Z28 which was awesome. My best friend opted for the full loaded 3800 V6 Firebird. What a joke. Mine was 285 HP his was 200 HP.

I am a performance oriented person and I never understood those that wanted the looks of a fast car but were cool with show and no go. All I can think of are all of the 17 year old girls that beg daddy for a Mustang Convertible but get the V6 cause they could care less.

Unless there is a deep roaring muscular V8 under there I don't want it. I would look at the CTS if I was going to opt for the V6.

I am sure that the V6 will be very respectible on the street but it will get no street credit. And I would never want to be ashamed when I had to tell people nah it is just the V6 like my buddy did. He was never really proud of his car, especially when we pulled in somewhere together.

I know a lot of you are very young and don't have 2 pennies to scratch together and the V6 looks attractive from a $ and insurance point of view. I can totally understand that. But for a few thousand bucks get the V8 if that is what you want.

In 1997 when we got our cars my Z28 with the anniversary package, CD player, chrome rims, sicky rubber, leather, etc came to 23k. His V6 firebird was 24k. Go figure! If you are looking for gas mileage get a prius, that isn't what the Camaro is about. You pay to play and playing is FUN!
Mblock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:42 PM   #87
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
(^) And that's the perception that this V6 will change!

1; There's nothing to be ashamed of by saying "v6" in this Camaro
2; It WILL get street credit -- more than you might think is possible. (read the reviews already...)
3; gas mileage does play a role for people who care. And they shouldn't be shunned from buying a Camaro because of it...the good news is you don't have to compromise in order to get good mpg.

I'll repeat; because I think it's wrong to believe otherwise:
This certainly isn't last generation's V6; the emasculated sports car that kids bought because they couldn't get the V8. THIS V6 is no slouch. There is no "settling" if you buy one, and there is nothing...nothing to be ashamed of by buying one instead of the V8.

I think we might evem find more than a few car buffs over the next few years who would rather have the V6 model for their own reasons. I couldn't fathom that regarding past F-bodys.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:06 PM   #88
Huggerorange73
Banned

Drives: The REAL C5
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth......

Here's what I have owned :

1978 Camaro LT 305 = 145 hp
1983 Camaro Z28 = 165 hp
1989 Iroc Z = 215 hp
1993 Z28 = 275 hp
1973 Z28 = 435 hp

Outside of my 73 which I built from the ground up, the V - 6 outperforms every single other "real" Camaro I've bought.

Unless something drastic changes soon, I'm on board with this V - 6 without a doubt.

There is nothing to hang your head about with this V6.
Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:24 PM   #89
Mblock66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth......

Here's what I have owned :

1978 Camaro LT 305 = 145 hp
1983 Camaro Z28 = 165 hp
1989 Iroc Z = 215 hp
1993 Z28 = 275 hp
1973 Z28 = 435 hp

Outside of my 73 which I built from the ground up, the V - 6 outperforms every single other "real" Camaro I've bought.

Unless something drastic changes soon, I'm on board with this V - 6 without a doubt.

There is nothing to hang your head about with this V6.
It is probably on par with the 1993. That car ran 5.4 0-60 this V6 will not do that.

Your points are well taken that it is better then previous years, but the V8 is light years ahead as well. It will not get street cred because there are many cars that go 0-60 in 6.1 now. Accords, Civics, Subarus (non STi), Hyundi's (genesis coupe), 350Z, G37, Maxima, etc etc etc

low 6's isn't impressive anymore. Just like back when my buddy and I had ours. Back then 5's was FAST to 60. His car was like mid 7's but so was everything else on the road.

It is all relative. Youl can't just look at how far the camaro V6 has come, you need to look how far all of the standard cars around it have come too.

I am by no means dissing the advancement or impressivness of the V6. It is nice. And I am by no means a light to light only street racer. I am 30 years old and I like all aspects of the car. But with maybe a 3 mpg advantage between the V6 and V8 M6 that is not worth it so scratch that argument. there is 122 more HP in the SS so that is worth losing a measly 3 mpg. The SS will run mid 4's and break into the 12's stock.

None of those cars above could dream of doing that which is what make a camaro what it is. Ill be damned if I buy a V6 Camaro and get taken by an accord. Yes the V6 will beat most of the past V8s in camaro trim but you aren't comparing a 2010 to a 1978 haha that is just silly. You need to stay in the relative present. Look what Subaru can do with a 2.5 liter 4 banger STi over 300 hp and it will smoke a V6 Camaro and give the SS a run for its $.

Technology has improved across the board. The Camaro is meant to be a muscle car, always has been. It isn't a ricer or tuner type car. But to be a muscle car by my definition at least it needs to be V8 with nice displacement and a deep throaty tone with numbers to back it up.

Im not trying to be mean it is just how I see it. It is V8 or nothing for me. Otherwise this isn't the right car to own.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:27 PM   #90
smike07

Drives: 1998 convertible Camaro RS
I've always liked the V6. It's always outperformed nearly everything in its class. I currently own one and it has been a wonderful car to drive. I've kept her up to par and given her some great mods, but I just want the V8 this time.
smike07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:28 PM   #91
logan1080

Drives: 2003 Crew Cab Duramax
I don't know guys. Sure the V6 has 300+ horsepower which is impressive. But to say the words V6 and Camaro in the same sentence just does not sound right to me. The Camaro is an icon for power and performance in America. I don't think it would be doing it justice to own a v6 camaro. Sure its 300 horse but the v8 is 422 from the factory. don't get me wrong, im totally with people who are tight on cash and love the looks of the car to buy the v6, thats awesome. But for the people who have the choice to opt for the v8 and have the money and are leaning towards the V6, come on. Go V8 for the heritage, forget the power numbers, how many people thought totally different of a camaro once they found out it had a v6. V8 really is part of what Camaro stands for in my opinion. I am not rich, but i would rather sign my life away for a v8. You only live once and you won't regret it. after all its just money and the v8 is almost priceless with the history and heritage it has in the camaro.
logan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:03 PM   #92
Mblock66

^ totally agree. The first thing I look for when a mustang drives by me is the GT. If it isn't I just laugh. Same went for last Gen Camaro. If it didn't have dual exhaust and at least a Z28 emblem I could care less.

The V8 just commands respect by anyone that knows anything about this stuff. The V6 is the lower model for a reason. It is entry level so you get the shell and the appearance but not the heart of the beast. My 2005 Legacy GT Auto ran 0-60 in 6.0 seconds with my G-tech. I later juiced it to 310 AWD HP at the wheels and it was running in the 12's. But then I blew 2 trannies for no reason really and she is back to stock and feels sooooo slow. But it is still 6.0 0-60 haha. I get owned by everything from a 350Z to accords to audis now. :( I am certainly not going to trade the Legacy in for more of the same with a 2010 model......
Old 08-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #93
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post
This is just my personal opinion but I would not even bother owning a Camaro if it wasn't the V8. I had a 1997 30th anniversary Z28 which was awesome. My best friend opted for the full loaded 3800 V6 Firebird. What a joke. Mine was 285 HP his was 200 HP.

I am a performance oriented person and I never understood those that wanted the looks of a fast car but were cool with show and no go. All I can think of are all of the 17 year old girls that beg daddy for a Mustang Convertible but get the V6 cause they could care less.

Unless there is a deep roaring muscular V8 under there I don't want it. I would look at the CTS if I was going to opt for the V6.

I am sure that the V6 will be very respectible on the street but it will get no street credit. And I would never want to be ashamed when I had to tell people nah it is just the V6 like my buddy did. He was never really proud of his car, especially when we pulled in somewhere together.

I know a lot of you are very young and don't have 2 pennies to scratch together and the V6 looks attractive from a $ and insurance point of view. I can totally understand that. But for a few thousand bucks get the V8 if that is what you want.

In 1997 when we got our cars my Z28 with the anniversary package, CD player, chrome rims, sicky rubber, leather, etc came to 23k. His V6 firebird was 24k. Go figure! If you are looking for gas mileage get a prius, that isn't what the Camaro is about. You pay to play and playing is FUN!
Street Cred? Come on, now your just buying a V8 as a status symbol. I want a V8 like you, but many people don't need all that power. I think 300 HP is awesome for a base engine, if I remember correctly the last gen Camaro SS only have like 310-325 HP. So thats a great start for a 5th generation Camaro.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #94
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
I'm sure there are insurance breaks for governing, even if it is a laughable speed.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:36 PM   #95
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post

I can somewhat understand what you're saying but even your own post should open your eyes a little to the fact that times are changing. Your own Z28 was only 285 HP. The new V6 bests that by about 20 ponies.

I'm gettin a V8, but the V6 is gonna be revolutionary to the muscle car segment.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #96
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
One of the most memorable Fbodies to me was a friends red 73 Firebird with straight 6. It had a unique sound and feel to it.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:27 PM   #97
logan1080

Drives: 2003 Crew Cab Duramax
i agree that the v6 is pushing a lot of power. But so is the v8. The last camaro was pushing a little over the 300 mark and now we are up to 422. the big horsepower days are coming back so really, the v8 is also changing things. We haven't seen these power numbers in a camaro ( or mustang, charger and challenger) since the 1st gens or early 70' models. At the same time, a 300 horsepower v6 in this class of car is a change as well. But as the powerful v6 trend comes in, the 300 hp v6 might be old new in a couple years. We might start seeing a 350hp+ v6 as technology gets more advanced. likewise for the v8's. its hard to say. If your looking for a car you want to keep and not trade off or sell in a couple years with plenty of horse. go V8. If you want respective power,decent economy,a fair price tag, and not in for the long term, go with a v6.
logan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:42 PM   #98
Mblock66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
I can somewhat understand what you're saying but even your own post should open your eyes a little to the fact that times are changing. Your own Z28 was only 285 HP. The new V6 bests that by about 20 ponies.

I'm gettin a V8, but the V6 is gonna be revolutionary to the muscle car segment.
My own V8 was only 285 yes.....but the V6 was 85 HP behind it then and that was 11 YEARS ago.

I am not arguing that 300 is a sweet number for a V6 or historically for a Camaro. What I am saying is that 300 is old news and nothing very impressive in todays market. And in relative terms the 300 HP V6 Camaro will be slotted in the exact same place it was 11 years ago. Competing against accords and maximas and such.

Don't get hung up on the numbers. Technology will keep getting better but it will for the entire industry. So todays 422 V8 and 300 HP v6 is relative to the market.

Does the new 3.7 liter G37 not make 330 HP? V6......
The new 370Z is supposed to be making 350 HP....V6....

Get my point now. Yes the V6 will be faster then a V6 camaro has ever been. In fact it may be as fast as an 11 year old V8 camaro stock for stock. The fact remains that it is still only the base model and in my eyes isn't worth my money for what a camaro should be.

If you want the V6 by all means get it. You don't need to convince me it will be a decent car. But it will still never be an SS PERIOD. And no not all people need 422 HP.....heck most don't NEED 300, but then why are you buying a camaro.

Are you trying to convince me that the V6 is going to be a street demon or yourself? B/C when push comes to shove it will still only be the "measly" V6 camaro and not "taken seriously." I know for a fact that the SS guys will never take a V6 car seriously if they think they have a high powered rocket. It is just the pecking order.

Don't get me wrong I am and would never buy a car for "street cred" (yes that term sounds like I am 17 and I hate using it). I buy cars for what they can do. That is why I bought my subaru. Absolutely amazing technology and when my 4 door sedan was blasting past vettes it was sweet. But that was all for my amusement not anyone elses. That is why I say to each his own. So to sum it up to answer the OP, no a 300 HP v6 has not changed my image of the base camaro.