Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-19-2012, 04:07 AM   #1
BUMBLE-B-TUNA

Drives: 2010 SS
Headers + Off road mid pipes + Stock exhaust = ???

Has anyone done LT headers, off road mid pipes and stock exhaust? Just wondering how it sounds and if its a waste of time or not.
JRE 470 RWHP Rough Idle Cam & Tune, Stainless Power LT Headers w/cats, Dynatech exhaust (no drone baby) CAI Intake, 4.10 Gears, JRE Posi Mod, JRE Billet Caps, LPW Diff Cover, Pfadt Diff Bushings, MGW Shifter, SJM Line-lock and bald tires.
BUMBLE-B-TUNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
Did you check the exhaust sounds thread? Pretty sure there are several on there. It can be found in the stickies section just a few lines above this thread. Here is a link

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21289
newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Depends on L99 or LS3. I've heard a lot of people say they like the sound with just headers and high flow cats.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #4
Stainless Works

Drives: Fast
Headers with a stock exhaust is an excellent way to pick up extra horsepower and keep the sound levels to a minimum. Stainless Works has a number of dealership accounts in which many of them will put our headers, a cold air kit and tune on the car before its even sold to the consumer market.

As another option for increased sound, check out our Sideburner Exhaust
Stainless Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMBLE-B-TUNA View Post
Has anyone done LT headers, off road mid pipes and stock exhaust? Just wondering how it sounds and if its a waste of time or not.
= a good inexpensive setup. I really regret getting my current cat back. It sounds good but was way too much money for what you get. If I had it to do over again I would have left the stock cat back on until I had the Heads/cam changed out and at that time I would have gone with a custom 3" exhaust. Once I do a Whipple I'm going to have to spend another 1k+ to get the most out of my setup with a 3" exhaust. The catback for this car are in the $1k range and give 0 hp gains on a near stock car. Its just not worth it IMO. Save the 1K and buy something else with it like gears or something.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
BUMBLE-B-TUNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
Did you check the exhaust sounds thread? Pretty sure there are several on there. It can be found in the stickies section just a few lines above this thread. Here is a link

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21289
I have looked in there before, I'll check it out again.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
BUMBLE-B-TUNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless Works View Post
Headers with a stock exhaust is an excellent way to pick up extra horsepower and keep the sound levels to a minimum. Stainless Works has a number of dealership accounts in which many of them will put our headers, a cold air kit and tune on the car before its even sold to the consumer market.

As another option for increased sound, check out our Sideburner Exhaust
Thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #8
BUMBLE-B-TUNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
= a good inexpensive setup. I really regret getting my current cat back. It sounds good but was way too much money for what you get. If I had it to do over again I would have left the stock cat back on until I had the Heads/cam changed out and at that time I would have gone with a custom 3" exhaust. Once I do a Whipple I'm going to have to spend another 1k+ to get the most out of my setup with a 3" exhaust. The catback for this car are in the $1k range and give 0 hp gains on a near stock car. Its just not worth it IMO. Save the 1K and buy something else with it like gears or something.
You hit the nail right on the head! I guess I'll give it a go with the stock exhaust and see how it sounds up close and personal. As long as it is not too quiet as someone mentioned, that's why I cut them off when I got the car... I do like loud
Ps: got the gears already and me likes!
Old 07-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #9
TheNewCzar

Drives: 2011 SS Rally Yellow Vert, 2000 WS6
I have LTs, hiflow cats, took out the "chamber of horrors" and welded on a magnaflo x and left stock mufflers.

That setup sounds great but still a little tinny for my tastes. WOT is a nice mean sound though. I'm taking off the stock cans and putting on SLP LMII axle backs Saturday to get a deeper growl.
TheNewCzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
BUMBLE-B-TUNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewCzar View Post
I have LTs, hiflow cats, took out the "chamber of horrors" and welded on a magnaflo x and left stock mufflers.

That setup sounds great but still a little tinny for my tastes. WOT is a nice mean sound though. I'm taking off the stock cans and putting on SLP LMII axle backs Saturday to get a deeper growl.
Cool, let me know what you think of the before & after sound and if you feel it was worth it. I don't like tinny though.