Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-19-2008, 10:20 PM   #29
Rays B4U

Drives: 2003 Silverado SS
My tire store, Les Schwab Tires will do the winter / spring change overs for FREE if you buy the wheels and tires from them.

Former Camaros's:
[1967 SS350/RS] [1968 Z28 RS] [1967 SS350/RS] [1978 Z28] [1980 Z28]
Rays B4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:30 PM   #30
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Rear wheel drive in winter is bad. As others said, you need a fwd or awd winter car. V6 or V8 won't make any difference with traction control.

Whatever you drive in winter, get some Bridgestone Blizzaks. If you must drive Camaro in winter, get a set of Blizzaks mounted on new steel wheels for winter changeover from Tire Rack or Discount Tire.com.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:39 PM   #31
Th3Nigh7Stalk3r

Drives: 1991 Caprice
I am on www.discounttire.com, under bridgestone tires, but there are so many of the Blizzaks tire's. Which one do we want? Because I will also be driving it in the winter.
Th3Nigh7Stalk3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:41 PM   #32
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
Rear wheel drive in winter is bad. As others said, you need a fwd or awd winter car. V6 or V8 won't make any difference with traction control.
I love it when people say that.
It's not wrong by any stretch...it's just funny to me because we've got many RWD cars around here in the winter. Based on mine, and those close to me experiences, it primarily depends on the driver. If you train and learn how to drive RWD in the snow, you're as well-off as the guy who's driving FWD down the street.

EDIT: I just remembered a story I was told two years ago by one of my best friends...apparently his father's friend came to pick him up from some event, and he showed up in a Firehawk. What's so funny? Well..it was December (or around there), in Buffalo, during a Lake-Effect Snow Storm/Blizzard. He said he was scared out of his mind because of the conditions and the fact he's in THAT car, but they never slipped once (according to him), and made it home in one piece.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:45 PM   #33
Rays B4U

Drives: 2003 Silverado SS
I drove rear wheel drive police cars for 31 of my 33 years in law enforcement and only chained up twice in those years. Rear wheel drive cars are just fine in the winter IF you learn how to drive.

Former Camaros's:
[1967 SS350/RS] [1968 Z28 RS] [1967 SS350/RS] [1978 Z28] [1980 Z28]
Rays B4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:47 PM   #34
Th3Nigh7Stalk3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
EDIT: I just remembered a story I was told two years ago by one of my best friends...apparently his father's friend came to pick him up from some event, and he showed up in a Firehawk. What's so funny? Well..it was December (or around there), in Buffalo, during a Lake-Effect Snow Storm/Blizzard. He said he was scared out of his mind because of the conditions and the fact he's in THAT car, but they never slipped once (according to him), and made it home in one piece.
That's crazy. Since I have never driven a car as fast as the camaro period. I will need to learn how to drive it in the winter well. Because I accelerate fast and that would be REALLY bad if I was in the camaro during winter time.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:48 PM   #35
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Quote:
I love it when people say that.
It's not wrong by any stretch...it's just funny to me because we've got many RWD cars around here in the winter. Based on mine, and those close to me experiences, it primarily depends on the driver. If you train and learn how to drive RWD in the snow, you're as well-off as the guy who's driving FWD down the street.

Alright tough guy I admit I was a Floridian transplanted to Vermont, but not me with a rear wheel drive. I believe you, that it can be done, just both of you please put some good winter tires on.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:49 PM   #36
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rays B4U View Post
My tire store, Les Schwab Tires will do the winter / spring change overs for FREE if you buy the wheels and tires from them.
Who on this site isn't going to be able to change their own wheels?
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:49 PM   #37
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
Alright tough guy I admit I was a Floridian transplanted to Vermont, but not me with a rear wheel drive. I believe you, that it can be done, just both of you please put some good winter tires on.
I actually think I'll be using racing slicks....more rubber-to-ice connection.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:50 PM   #38
Th3Nigh7Stalk3r

Yea. I will just need your guys/girls opinions on the tires, and then I will need to ask my dad if he agrees with all y'all.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:52 PM   #39
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
Sandbags in the trunk help alot for winter driving, plus you have the sand handy if you get stuck.
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:04 PM   #40
shadowed_Stranger
WAITING!

Drives: 97 V6 5spd
Quote:
I actually think I'll be using racing slicks....more rubber-to-ice connection.
That would never work unless you changed your muffler bearings too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C P View Post
I'll go ahead and say it... how could GM let this happen? They have 5 years to develop the new Camaro and no force field to protect from uninsured drivers???? I'm buying a Honda.
shadowed_Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:14 AM   #41
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rays B4U View Post
I drove rear wheel drive police cars for 31 of my 33 years in law enforcement and only chained up twice in those years. Rear wheel drive cars are just fine in the winter IF you learn how to drive.

Buy the V8!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:27 AM   #42
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
It's a RWD car with wide high performance tires. Physics is physics. Go fast and crash, respect the car and know the limits and you'll be alright. Sometimes that means leaving it parked safe and sound in the garage.

A man has to know his limits. It's not going to matter if you over drive a corner in an SS or RS in a 3800 pound stiffly sprung car on high performance tires. I have two words for that driver - GOOD LUCK.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote