Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #15
Bluffen

Drives: 2013 Sea Ray 220 Sundeck
I had Flowmaster 40 series on and just like you it wasnt what I was looking for. I changed to the s10's which made it sound better but that "muscle" car sound I was always used to was still not there. The outlaws are the closest thing to the muscle car sound but I put on a set of L/T Pacesetter ceramic coated headers, 4600 series magnaflow cats and kept my Flowmaster s10's on. My LS3 Camaro sounds pretty good and to enhance the sound when I go to car shows Im installing some electric cutouts, check you tube to hear that sound.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #16
NDC123
The Machinist

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 IBM silver rally
I just put ARH headers on mine and high flows with xpipe, it is pretty damn loud but I ordered the ATs from flow master to deepen it up a bit should sound pretty nasty.
NDC123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #17
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
Not a fan of cutouts for car shows on a uncammed car. The car should sound tuff through the muffs, open exhuast on a basically stock car is not cool at all. Not bashing you but thats my opion. Get a cam in that thing.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #18
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad70supreme View Post
Not a fan of cutouts for car shows on a uncammed car. The car should sound tuff through the muffs, open exhuast on a basically stock car is not cool at all. Not bashing you but thats my opion. Get a cam in that thing.
+1

A deep-sounding exhaust (not necessarily loud) with a cam is music to my ears.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #19
Bluffen

Drives: 2013 Sea Ray 220 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad70supreme View Post

I have L/T Headers on and I only have 17,000 miles on my 2010 SS Going to wait on a cam fro a bit, but the cutouts make the car sound like uncorked headers, I know once I put a cam in the lope will sound much better with cutouts but for now im pretty happy with them. I always respect others opinions
Old 07-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #20
cleopatra

Drives: 2011 camaro 2SS/RS , 2007 Dodge Ram
Someone please just post a list of what I need,I heard the sound on you Tube.This is I'm pretty sure that classic Hot Rod extremely laud rumble I'm looking for.
cleopatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #21
Asquarecan

Drives: 2011 2ss
Wow! Thanks for all the input guys!

I guess I should say I dont really care for it to be much louder, but I would like a more aggressive sound. My buddy ran full exhaust and headers on his 2011 GT and that was too loud for me. I would love to get a cam, but I cant afford to have it installed. :( too many grown up things taking up my damn money lol.

I will look at a few of the muffler options. some day I will maybe cam the car, I just have a high turn over rate with cars lol... I get bored quickly.

Out of curiosity, if I remove the axle back portion of my exhaust will it give me a good idea what muffler delete would sound like or is it going to be a lot louder due to shorter pipes? I obviously would not run this more then a few minutes just to get an idea of the sound.

Thanks
Asquarecan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #22
NDC123
The Machinist

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 IBM silver rally
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asquarecan View Post
Wow! Thanks for all the input guys!

I guess I should say I dont really care for it to be much louder, but I would like a more aggressive sound. My buddy ran full exhaust and headers on his 2011 GT and that was too loud for me. I would love to get a cam, but I cant afford to have it installed. :( too many grown up things taking up my damn money lol.

I will look at a few of the muffler options. some day I will maybe cam the car, I just have a high turn over rate with cars lol... I get bored quickly.

Out of curiosity, if I remove the axle back portion of my exhaust will it give me a good idea what muffler delete would sound like or is it going to be a lot louder due to shorter pipes? I obviously would not run this more then a few minutes just to get an idea of the sound.

Thanks
With the fifth gen camaro if you get bored try going to a few (there are a ton) websites for mods. I don't know how anyone could get bored upgrading a car with all the mods available nowadays. Heck, it will prolly take me 5 years at least to run out of stuff to do to my car lol. But that's me. :P
NDC123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #23
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
It's crazy how the opinion on exhaust sound vary's from customer to customer. The 3" Flowmaster is about as loud as I ever would want.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #24
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
If you want loud, go with headers. If it still isn't enough, get a Magnflow Comptition Catback. It'll be loud enough then, trust me

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #25
rdblan2

Drives: 2SS RS
headers for sound and power. I had the American Thunder system as well. Headers woke it right up.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #26
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
I want power, not noise. if I can make 1000 hp through the stock exhaust, that's what I will do. just have to make that much more to get there and that's fine so long as I can hear myself think. I'm not 17 anymore, lol. that's when I had very loud cars with not a lot of power....
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #27
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
If you want loud, go with headers. If it still isn't enough, get a Magnflow Comptition Catback. It'll be loud enough then, trust me
Gotta disagree if the OP does not also get headers & or HF cats. I have the 3" Magnaflow comp catback. It's pretty good when you get on it but not that loud & not much better than stock at idle.

Here is some gopro video of mine with stock manifolds , stock cats on an L99. 1st vid from camera inside the car 2nd vid from camera on outside of back window.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote