Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-09-2011, 11:14 PM   #15
iSpeed

Drives: 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I'm curious....what more...could it be? It has, literally everything!
Forged internals, a true adjustable suspension, weight reduction, steering wheel and interior treatment, exterior styling, etc...

Just about the only thing they got right was the exhaust note. It's an amazing sound for a stock exhaust.
iSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #16
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSpeed View Post
Forged internals, a true adjustable suspension, weight reduction, steering wheel and interior treatment, exterior styling, etc...
Forged internals are overhyped unless you plan to go crazy aftermarket power levels...which at that point...why demand it from the factory?

Weight reduction is far easier said than done. This was a major focus for the ZL1, evidenced by Carbon Fiber accents, and lightweight forged wheels. I'm sure there was more that wouldn't fit into the press release...but anything crazy, like aluminum body panels would cost MAJOR money....

"True" adjustable suspension...You're looking for coilovers...again, aftermarket..the steering wheel, interior and exterior treatments is in the eye of the beholder, imo.

It seems to me...what you really want from the factory is a Boss-302 style Camaro. Which could possibly be a Z28 at this point...but that's not the formula they used when building the ZL1, so they didn't get it "wrong", or didn't do enough then...it's just not what you were expecting.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:28 PM   #17
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
i hope GM reads some some of these thread to help make the Zl1 better
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:40 PM   #18
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:

Just about the only thing they got right was the exhaust note. It's an amazing sound for a stock exhaust.
You beat me to it! Paying over 50k for a car with hypereutectic pistons in it seems like a waste. The GT500 has forged internals.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:35 AM   #19
HBspeed

Drives: 05 M3, 75 911, 02 WRX, 64 Impala SS
What is the ZL1 the best at though honestly?

The GT500 is clearly the better platform for power modification and drag racing.

The Challenger 392 is larger, more comfortable, more spacious, and more rare if you consider the model lines as a whole.

The ZL1 will be the best all rounder stock for stock, its primary advantage in handling from being the only one with an IRS and a magnetic adjustable suspension, not to mention significantly wider stock tires.

But honestly if you are buying one of these 3 models for handling, shouldn't you be looking at a boss 302 / waiting for a potential Z28 or even a foreign car such as a M3 or a 1M in the same price range?
HBspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:06 AM   #20
SSCamaroZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:

This is very true. The thing I wish they'd change appearance-wise is the fog lamp setup, it's just odd. The car should have all the performance things you mentioned though.
2013 Camaro ZL1 M6 Black/Black 21,000 miles. #6944 of 7956. 1 of 1208 black manual coupes.
SSCamaroZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #21
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBspeed View Post
What is the ZL1 the best at though honestly?

The GT500 is clearly the better platform for power modification and drag racing.

The Challenger 392 is larger, more comfortable, more spacious, and more rare if you consider the model lines as a whole.

The ZL1 will be the best all rounder stock for stock, its primary advantage in handling from being the only one with an IRS and a magnetic adjustable suspension, not to mention significantly wider stock tires.

But honestly if you are buying one of these 3 models for handling, shouldn't you be looking at a boss 302 / waiting for a potential Z28 or even a foreign car such as a M3 or a 1M in the same price range?
"The Best" is completely relative to the person buying it. If I need to cart around 7 people every day, the ZL1 is absolutely the worst car I could buy.

The buyer who wants an astounding all-around super-pony-car with the practicality of a trunk and back seats will look into the ZL1 and GT500. The vast majority of this kind of buyer won't care about modification to the fairy-tale levels that car nuts often associate the GT500 with...so that's a moot point.

If the car lives up to the confidence Chevy has in it -- it'll be a hot seller.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #22
iSpeed

Drives: 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
It seems to me...what you really want from the factory is a Boss-302 style Camaro. Which could possibly be a Z28 at this point...but that's not the formula they used when building the ZL1, so they didn't get it "wrong", or didn't do enough then...it's just not what you were expecting.
You asked for examples of what more it could be, and I gave you some examples off the top of my head of what the ZL1 doesn't have. That isn't necessarily what I would have wanted the ZL1 to be. As I said, I wasn't expecting anything, but the ZL1 still disappointed. Please don't assume to know what I'm thinking.
iSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #23
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
That isn't necessarily what I would have wanted the ZL1 to be. As I said, I wasn't expecting anything, but the ZL1 still disappointed. Please don't assume to know what I'm thinking.
Fair enough...it's tough to have a conversation about this though when you can be dissapointed while expecting nothing.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #24
Albion

Drives: IOM 1ss
At this moment in time,i'm feeling quite un-inspired by the look of Z as a whole,however my own experiences tell me,'keep looking at it and it may grow on ya'.
So i'm gonna hold back for the time being,but my 1ss with a Kenne Bell is starting to look very attractive indeed.
Albion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #25
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Still waiting for the Z/28, and please don't put that butt ugly hood on it.

The SLP cars look great compared to the "new" ZL1
Attached Images

Last edited by Fightinfire921; 02-10-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #26
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:

Those items you referred to are all desirable I agree. They do have their place on certain applications, with their own price ranges as well. I believe you will get those weight reduction features on the next generation Camaro in the very near future. Shedding significant weight from the Gen 5 Camaro is not feasible. Placing a LS7 or LS9 in the ZL1 would be spectacular, but cost prohibitive. The MRC is perfect for street use. It by all appearances was designed to compete on the street, not on the track, and take no prisoners!. It's unreasonable to suggest a manufacturer can make a car such as this with a "have your cake and eat it too" doctrine. Balance is everything, and I believe this car has the performance VS affoardability scale perfectly leveled. The price will be within reach for most of us. I believe those who purchased Gen5 Camaro's prior to this release and are whinning about ergonomics or this and that have some latent form of buyers remorse, or purchased their particular model because it was a trendy thing to do. I just don't see their argument. The styling changes are very subtle. The exterior styling cues are practical and to the point. It's not all decaled up with excessive boy toy racer ad ons. It has that don't mess with me swagger that comes from a "walk softly and carry a big stick" philosophy. The Z28 will be produced soon no doubt. You may get your desired changes with that model. Time will tell.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #27
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
This car is too close to what's coming in 2014 IMO. A Camaro that is light and had all the features of this ZL1 will be so awesome that it will make this ZL1 obsolete real fast.

Is that a silly notion? Well ask yourself: how do you feel that your 2010 Camaro is being upstaged so easily by this ZL1 3 years later? Do you regret not waiting? You could have saved tens of thousands by doing so.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #28
010 Camaro SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
I prefer th SLP over the ZL1...Both overpriced for us mere mortals...
But nice...I'll keep my SS - S/C - some bolt on performance gains and
have alot of fun...As for cosmetics there is a lot to do...Just my 2 cents...
010 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote