Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 11-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
Bowtie-Bri

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS Convt.
Can Our Gas Tanks Be Siphoned?

Anyone try to siphon gas from their tank? I was planning to get a pump of some kind, as I don't really like the taste of gas. Any helpful sugestions would be greatly appreciated. Driving it to waste the gas is out of the question. I have way to much to do on the car before the show.

I'm going to an indoor carshow at the end of the month, but I have almost a full tank and they require no more than a 1/4 tank or less for safety reasons.
2013 Nickey Stage II Camaro SS Convertible #10.Black w/ Red leather interior. No Weeds Elec. Diverters, CNC ported heads, custom grind cam, upgraded fuel injectors, ZL-1 fuel pump, V-Max ported TB, Red Magnuson Super Charger with rear cog drive, upgraded rear axles good for 1400Hp, 3:45 gears, Tremec 6 spd., Pedders adj. coil overs, Phadt ZL-spec swaybars, 800Hp at the crank, 670RWHP, 613ft.lbs. torq. @ 11lbs. boost. SOLD!!!
Bowtie-Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Nope.

Almost all cars since 2000 have a anti-syphon filler neck that prevents people from stealing gas the easy way. You'll have to take loose the fuel line and toggle the key back and forth between on and off until you have enough gas out of the tank. Imo, doing it this way is a royal pain and takes almost as much time as it would just to go out and drive it but if you don't want to drive, this is pretty much your only option.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
Bowtie-Bri

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS Convt.
Thanks for the info Mr_ Draco. I guess my wife and I are gonna have to go on a road trip Sunday and burn some gas.
2013 Nickey Stage II Camaro SS Convertible #10.Black w/ Red leather interior. No Weeds Elec. Diverters, CNC ported heads, custom grind cam, upgraded fuel injectors, ZL-1 fuel pump, V-Max ported TB, Red Magnuson Super Charger with rear cog drive, upgraded rear axles good for 1400Hp, 3:45 gears, Tremec 6 spd., Pedders adj. coil overs, Phadt ZL-spec swaybars, 800Hp at the crank, 670RWHP, 613ft.lbs. torq. @ 11lbs. boost. SOLD!!!
Bowtie-Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
You could take it to the dealer and have them disconnect the fuel line then hook up there scan tool and command the fuel pump to run.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #5
TannerJPowell

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Jumper it at the fuel pump relay?
TannerJPowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Ok, so I am going to resurrect this thread and see if I can get these all combined since they are asking a similar question.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149429
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130911
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267747

I just had to siphon the gas out of my tank, so I figured a way to do it.

So if you take the passenger wheel off, you can then see the filler neck that transitions into a rubber hose before it connects into the tank. It is held on by two hose clamps.

Loosen both hose clamps and remove it off the filler neck 1st and then you can twist and pull it off of the tank. If your tank is topped off, take a little fuel out before removing the clamp on the tank side.

I had just filled the tank. I probably got 15 of the 16 gallons that were in it. I jacked up the drivers side and had the passenger side rear rotor almost on the ground.
Attached Images

Last edited by TLSTWIN; 09-01-2014 at 05:04 PM.
TLSTWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 08:52 AM   #7
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
Resurrecting this thread in hopes of resolving my recent issue of the car firing but dying immediately. Then threw a P2135 Limp mode and managed to get the car home 10mi away, then it would not start.
I have check all of the obvious - Battery, clearing the code, throttle body cleaning, connections, etc.
I suspect based on various threads in the forum is that I have crappy old gas that has been sitting in the tank, and mixed each spring with some new. The car is seldom driven and I just add enough gas to the old gas each year to get me to car shows. I now have a half tank of who knows what quality premium gas in the car, and believe it has caught up to me, even though the car is in a heated/cooled garage and on a tender all the time.
So referencing this thread and every gas thread I could find, I am looking for recommendations.
1. Dump a can of ISOHEAT into a small amount of gas to add?
2. Fuel injection cleaner along with the above?
3. I REALLY would like to start new and drain the crap gas out of the car, as driving it is a issue with the no start and throwing a code condition. The procedure by TLSTWIN sounds like a good one, but want more detail before I attempt it. Once you get the rubber hose off the tank, can you just put the siphon hose into the tank and the check ball is not an issue?

Appreciate any input as I have a expensive Show Queen sitting dead in my garage!
Attached Images

hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 09:13 AM   #8
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
I don't think there is any way that bad gas can cause that code. It is set when the two position sensors in the throttle body don't match.
What Does the P2135 GMC Code Mean?

The Throttle Body Assembly contains a contact-less inductive throttle position sensing element that is managed by a customized integrated circuit. The throttle position sensor is mounted within the throttle body assembly and is not serviceable. The Engine Control Module (ECM) supplies the throttle body with a 5 V reference circuit, a low reference circuit. The asynchronous signal means communication is only going from the throttle body to the ECM. The throttle body cannot receive data from the ECM over the signal/serial data circuit. The throttle position sensor provides a signal voltage that changes relative to throttle blade angle. The throttle position sensor information is transmitted between the throttle body and the ECM on the signal/serial data circuit. The ECM decodes the serial data signal and is used as voltages for throttle position sensor 1 and 2. The Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will be set when the ECM detects that throttle position sensors 1 and 2 disagree greater than 7 - 10 percent for greater than 1 s.

What are the Possible Causes of the Code P2135 GMC?
Faulty Throttle Body Assembly
Throttle Body harness is open or shorted
Throttle Body circuit poor electrical connection
Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 10:09 AM   #9
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
Thanks "gtstorey". There however are numerous threads on bad gas causing starting issues exactly like what I am experiencing
But honestly, I am looking at all alternatives and want to have clean gas as part of my debug plan.
I am real familiar with all of the basic codes and what they mean. And have thrown the P2135 and various throttle codes in the past. Usually clearing them with my SCT-X4 and mashing the throttle a few times with the key on helps with a throttle relearn enough to allow a restart.
Not so much this time.
I am about to try a new OEM Throttle body, but fear if it is not the fix, than looking to all other alternatives.

Last edited by hesster; 07-10-2023 at 07:13 PM.
hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 10:12 AM   #10
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Bad gas may cause starting issues, but won't cause that particular code.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 07:38 PM   #11
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
I think gtstorey got you a good place to start.

Once you pull the rubber filler neck, my siphon hose went right in no issues.
Old 07-10-2023, 11:42 PM   #12
roh

Drives: 2013 ZL1
If the car is runs, just connect a fitting & hose to the test port on the fuel rail. Let it idle to keep the pump running & the excess fuel will pump thru the hose into your gas can.

In the fall I pump out my e10 93 this way & put in rec 90 for winter storage.
Springtime I pump out the 90 & put in fresh 93. Easy peazy.
roh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 09:15 AM   #13
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
If you take the filler hose off, DO NOT DAMAGE IT thinking you can just grab a replacement hose for cheap. It's GM p/n 92225312.

Currently, the list price on that hose is $169.49 W..T...F??? Probably due to the fact it has a built-in clamp on the end of it.

EDIT: GMpartsgiant.com says the part is discontinued. Imagine that.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote