Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:01 PM   #15
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
'fastball', I agree with your thoughts concerning NASCAR. I used to be a huge fan, and there was nothing better than watching 'The Intimidator'. Today's NASCAR....

As far as DEI is concerned, Theresa has every right IMO to make the decisions she has. As a fan of Sr., who followed him as his career grew, it was Theresa who brought the business sense when Dale was starting out. Thats NOT to say Sr. didn't not have any "business savy", just that when he was trying to make his presence known on the tracks, Theresa was huge in making Dale a success in the business end.

(I don't want to turn this thread into a NASCAR thread though. )

As for leaving Sr.'s legacy rest, personally, I think offering a "tribute" to him, such as a 'Legacy' version of the new Camaro, etc., only continues to reflect what a truly special person he was. I agree, there are too many people trying to make money off of his name, but Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet offering a tribute car is not one of them.

NOW! BACK TO THE TOPIC OF THE THREAD!!!

I'm keeping an eye out for an announcememt from D.E. Chevrolet.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:03 PM   #16
aston70

Drives: Me Nutz!! Arrrrgh...
I have to say, I met Dale Sr. at a Food City race night here in Knoxville back in the 90's. At the time I was in college and worked at my local Food City store so I had an opportunity to work the show a couple times.

One year I stood by the door where the drivers entered the arena. Right there by that door sat a long row of handicap folks. One in particular was a quadriplegic with #3 stickers and flames on his electric wheel chair. All the drivers that came through met with these handicap people before they went to their spot to sign autographs.

Dale was the last one through. He spent more time with each one of these guys then any other driver did. I never was a huge nascar fan, but I always admired him for what I saw him do that night.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:12 PM   #17
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston70 View Post
I have to say, I met Dale Sr. at a Food City race night here in Knoxville back in the 90's. At the time I was in college and worked at my local Food City store so I had an opportunity to work the show a couple times.

One year I stood by the door where the drivers entered the arena. Right there by that door sat a long row of handicap folks. One in particular was a quadriplegic with #3 stickers and flames on his electric wheel chair. All the drivers that came through met with these handicap people before they went to their spot to sign autographs.

Dale was the last one through. He spent more time with each one of these guys then any other driver did. I never was a huge nascar fan, but I always admired him for what I saw him do that night.
Met him 3 times. Once, my grilfriend and I waited 7 hrs. to get to see him. He took NOT ONE break the entire time, and stayed until everyone at the "RCR Open House" got to meet him.

I posted this before; Its a hauler signed by Dale's entire pit crew at the time, Richard Childress, and Dale himself.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:13 PM   #18
65bus

Drives: 92 Z28, 72 Chevy truck, 65 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to 65bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
They already killed everything he stood for by insipid rules:

Fines and points marked off for what's deemed as "aggressive driving"

No cussing on network TV during a live interview 2 seconds after a guy spends 3 hours at 180 mph and his heartbeat is over 100 (clue to NASCAR: keep the press away from the drivers untill they have a chance to decompress)

And of course, letting Toyota in to begin with. That's when I was done with it, and threw in the towel with my support for the sport. You KNOW Sr. wouldn't have wanted Toyota to be a part of it to begin with, but now that they are, NASCAR can have them. I'm through.

Not to mention, DEI...... why didn't Sr. have, in his will or trust of his estate, that DEI go to his son and not his wife? Very strange.
Just want to ask why you think toyota should have never been let in nascar
Old 07-28-2008, 09:48 PM   #19
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65bus View Post
Because they had no interest in NASCAR until after they convinced them to sterilize and homogenize the sport and remove all aspects of production vehicles from the show.

If they had too compete with anything that they actually make for the street, they'd not even qualify for a single race.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:29 PM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Because it's Toyota.
There's really no other reason I can find to explain my feelings about it.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:39 PM   #21
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Because they had no interest in NASCAR until after they convinced them to sterilize and homogenize the sport and remove all aspects of production vehicles from the show.

If they had too compete with anything that they actually make for the street, they'd not even qualify for a single race.
we agree on something wow. . .lol.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:30 PM   #22
Jinx
Owner of Shunt

Drives: 2001 Mustang GT vert

Support the "JINX CAMARO FUND" at http://www.zazzle.com/jinxdesign
Old 07-28-2008, 11:30 PM   #23
Camaro Lives On
Force RECON

Drives: 2005 Saab 9-5 2.3T
Send a message via AIM to Camaro Lives On
Quote:
Because, just as Toyota did in the Craftsman Truck Series, they acted like they didnt know what they were doing for a little while, then came back the next year and all of a sudden they are winning every race under the friggen sun. Its what they are good at, making people think they wont do good, then taking over, without giving any other car company have the slightest chance (sound familar?). Not to mention there friggen poster boy Kyle Busch trying to act like he's Dale, but that is a completely different rant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
That would be nice but the down side is that Dale Sr. had some input with the creation of the 4th gen version and this one would not have any of his input. :(
^And this is the exact reason why I wouldn't want to see and Intimidator SS Camaro. Sure, it would be a cool idea, and would probably sell, but I just wouldnt want to see it. A lot of the people who would buy it, probably are buying it just because the name "Intimidator SS" sounds cool, and probably never have known the meaning of the name, or knew the legacy of the man behind that name... and probably never will. Im not gonna sit here and try to say I do either (hell I'm only 16, I wasnt around when he was ruling all of NASCAR)... but I do know enough to be able to say this, Dale Earnhardt was (and in my mind STILL IS) the greatest driver of all time, and no one will be able to live up to that IMO, and I truly think that people should let the man rest in peace. Let him live on in the minds and hearts of the true NASCAR fans that really do love and respect for what he did, and as the way he was as a man.

*Sry for the rant, I was/am a huge Dale Earnhardt fan. I still remember what he said in his last interview on the starting grid before the 2001 Daytona 500 with Jr. right next to him. He said, "I don't want people callin' me 'Sr.', I ain't no old man yet!!"

Last edited by Camaro Lives On; 07-28-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:50 AM   #24
lsuduke

Drives: 06 Saturn Vue
Awesome photoshop Jinx, man I miss seeing those colors every Sunday, I would love an Intimidator SS if it were to happen, but with my budget, thinking it will be too pricey , would be top dog for price and performance if they do it right... and that just isn't where I can afford to be, sadly.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:12 AM   #25
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:

Hell, you might as well let the Chiba Lotte Marines of Japan into the AL West!

NASCAR was supposed to be strictly American. Toyota has been involved in F1 and other international open wheeled and other forms of racing for years. That's fine, they can continue that.

But I just had serious issues with a Japanese owned company sticking their nose into what was purely and American form of auto racing.

So now, while NASCAR has gained two new fans in my place, they can have them. Those two new fans they gained probably drive Camrys and have absolutely no idea what NASCAR was even 10 years ago.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:17 AM   #26
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
Guys, I'm as pro USA as the next guy, but do you have any idea what America stands for? I personally hate Toyota, I think the car (and truck) is garbage and they are living off the economical reputation they built in the 70's and 80's. I agree NASCAR has watered down the sport. I think NASCAR ceased to exist when they went to the molded front ends. Back in the 80's Bill Elliot drove a Thunderbird, and Dale drove a Monte Carlo. Now it is just a shell of sheet steel.

This is still America and we still support people who have the desire to do what ever they want with out breaking laws. Some times its refered to as capitalism. Why are you not as outraged that Corvette can compete in LeMans (not the ALMS)? I mean isn't sort of the same thing...we come into a European series and they even put us in our own class so we can win uncontested (with the exception of Aston Martin). The reason we have such a great Camaro is because people decided to buy the better made product (products are compared to each other and the consumer picks the best one - competition). GM understands they are competing for your dollars. competition makes everything better or cheaper.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:58 PM   #27
Moose

Folks, we're getting off topic here, re; Toyota, etc.!

I don't want to close the thread.....

Old 07-29-2008, 06:21 PM   #28
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I recently contacted 'Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet' to inquire about the possibilities of another 'Intimidator SS' being offered.

If anyone's a Sr. fan, as well as a Camao fan, as I am, I suggest keeping an eye on the 'Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet' website. www.earnhardtchevy.com

I'm still leaning towards "cousin Tom's" dealership, but if another 'Intimidator SS' is offered....hmmmm....
Well, I've heard that Camaro's might be racing in the nationwide series. not confirmed yet. So there is a potential Nascar connection to the Camaro as well. Few things could look worse than the Dale Jr Monte Carlos though.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum

Closed Thread