Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #71
bhut

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Still waiting, but getting closer. Car is on the line this week.
I'm getting a 2LT, so there's not a lot of incentive to hit the track and try to cheat the system.

Faraday shielding is very effective and cheap to implement for a basic solution - the worst that could happen is that someone would be out $2 for the cost of an alligator clip lead. Those using metallic tint in vehicles without external antennas may have found out about signal interference the hard way, and that's with a metal layer measured at maybe a micron or two versus about 15 for cheapo alum foil. I worked with TEMPEST tested devices in a previous life, and wondered about this since Onstar first became popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
I was going to tell you to try it and see how it works but I see you haven't received you Camaro yet.
bhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #72
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClassicCarKid View Post
wow guys way to take a legitimate question and flame the guy for asking it.
You do realize that people posting questions get a lot more help and sympathy when they choose to not make "flame" type responses to the first few answers they get?? Forums are often like a mirror, act like a jerk and you'll get jerk like responses, act like a normal human being and you'll get helpful responses.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:21 PM   #73
Kalenn
Fan of all things Camaro

Drives: '13 Mercedes-Benz C250 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
You do realize that people posting questions get a lot more help and sympathy when they choose to not make "flame" type responses to the first few answers they get?? Forums are often like a mirror, act like a jerk and you'll get jerk like responses, act like a normal human being and you'll get helpful responses.
Clyde

"E for electricity... V For Chevy Volt and me!"
Kalenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:32 PM   #74
nasty2ss

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I thought GPS was satelite based, not land based. So that is my error.

From OnStar:

OnStar brings together emergency service providers, wireless telephone, and satellite technologies to help protect you and help you stay connected on the road. It is powered by your vehicle's battery. If your battery is damaged or disconnected, your system will not be operational.

I think you underestimate how much was spent to develop OnStar, create and staff the call centers and to continue to develop this leading edge technology. So, no it's not less than I think it is.

I'm not saying GM can't use OnStar in this manner, I suppose they could. But to your point 3 you say GM would, I believe you mean to say could.

But to your point that you know people who have had warranty rejected for rubber in the wheel well as evidence of doing a burnout..............you must not be reading Camaro5.

The recent number of output shaft failures due to launching the car using launch control have all been covered by GM. Everyone. And many of the folks have been very complimentary of GM on how it was handled. And these cars were clearly launching hard. Same with the few half shafts that have failed. Documented on Camaro5 and by all reports, repaired by GM. And if I recall the posts, some of these occurred at the track.

I think OnStar is a great feature. With the recent addition of Turn by Turn it really is worth the money. But just my opinion. Plus if you are traveling across country, the added benefit of a 3 watt cell phone is a real confidence builder.

But I know there are just folks out there that believe it is being misused. They read about how law enforcemnt worked with OnStar to do such and such and then jump to, "that could be me".

I am pretty sure that for OnStar to be used in this manner, you need a warrant or court order.

I can't overemphasize the risk GM would be taking, not just for OnStar but as a company to do even close to what is being discussed in this thread.

"Buy a new car or truck from the comany that keeps track of where you are and what you are doing with that new car or truck". That is business disaster. And I can't believe some of you guys believe that is what GM would do or even think of doing.
Well the government does own them now.
nasty2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:37 PM   #75
brooks35

Drives: 57Chevy TrailblazerSS 73Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoEcho View Post
As to the original question posed, it wouldn't blow my mind to find out that GM would try to do as you say, but I do think that if one could prove that they have been monitoring your vehicle (which would be against the law), it would cause much bigger problems for the company than it would be worth...
How do you figure this to be illegal? Cell phone companies can tell you where you were at, every time you placed a call. why would tracking a vehicle on public roadways be illegal? What privacy of yours is being violated?
brooks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:01 PM   #76
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
I think you should go buy a Ford that uses Microsoft Sync. Then, only Bill Gates will know where you are and what you are doing. I would be less scared of him

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
CanadianCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:05 PM   #77
brooks35

Drives: 57Chevy TrailblazerSS 73Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCamaro View Post
I think you should go buy a Ford that uses Microsoft Sync. Then, only Bill Gates will know where you are and what you are doing. I would be less scared of him
brooks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:52 AM   #78
TwoEcho
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-Imperial Blue
So I had this huge post prepared about the legality issue of tracking you without consent. It was a good one, chock full of court cases and legal briefs and precedents. It is absolutely 100% illegal to monitor your movements/actions without your consent. Even the gov't and police have a hard time getting authorization to use GPS, cell phones, and what not to track you without probable cause. Do some research, it is indeed illegal.

HOWEVER, this all went out the window as soon as I took some time and read the onstar user agreement and privacy statement. If you activate onstar, you are giving them the necessary consent to gather information and share it with "1) our Service Providers; and 2) the maker of your Car, its subsidiaries, affiliates, a successor or an assignee of a significant part of your Car maker's or OnStar's business; your Car dealer; our wireless Service Providers and your satellite radio provider for their business purposes. We may also share this information with others as may be required by law, or to protect our rights or property or the safety of you or others"

Now where did I put my tinfoil....

TwoEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:15 AM   #79
djinva
Bow Tie Fan

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
Just one more point, I have a good friend who is a service manager at a Chevy store. They get paid for warranty work if they go around dening claims that is less money for them. They are very reluctant to deny/void a warranty. Times are slow they want the work.
12 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Instagram: djinva88
djinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:55 AM   #80
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoEcho View Post
So I had this huge post prepared about the legality issue of tracking you without consent. It was a good one, chock full of court cases and legal briefs and precedents. It is absolutely 100% illegal to monitor your movements/actions without your consent. Even the gov't and police have a hard time getting authorization to use GPS, cell phones, and what not to track you without probable cause. Do some research, it is indeed illegal.

HOWEVER, this all went out the window as soon as I took some time and read the onstar user agreement and privacy statement. If you activate onstar, you are giving them the necessary consent to gather information and share it with "1) our Service Providers; and 2) the maker of your Car, its subsidiaries, affiliates, a successor or an assignee of a significant part of your Car maker's or OnStar's business; your Car dealer; our wireless Service Providers and your satellite radio provider for their business purposes. We may also share this information with others as may be required by law, or to protect our rights or property or the safety of you or others"

Now where did I put my tinfoil....
Interesting...and totally contradictory to your point, I think. By registering, and agreeing to that policy (which is chock full of legal fluff for "you can't sue us if we tell the cops how you got in an accident"), you DO give them consent, thus making it perfectly, 100% legal. Unsubscribe, or cancel your membership, and they don't monitor your car anymore...

I still don't see the need for any tinfoil...people just love conspiracys....
Old 10-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #81
wullger
Supercharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinva View Post
Just one more point, I have a good friend who is a service manager at a Chevy store. They get paid for warranty work if they go around dening claims that is less money for them. They are very reluctant to deny/void a warranty. Times are slow they want the work.
One of the better points and angles from any 'OMG ONSTAR IS WATCHING U' posts so far.

Appearance Mods:
Heritage Grille, ZL1 Replica Wheels
Performance Mods:
Flowmaster ARH Cat-Back Exhaust, ADM CAI, ADM L99-LS3 Conversion, ADM LSA Supercharger Kit, Lingenfelter GT9 Cam, Stainless Power Headers, Detroit Speed Sway Bars, ZL1 Fuel Pump

581 rwhp/535 lb/ft tq
wullger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #82
Gunsmoke
wat?

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80Zedder View Post
If Onstar really wanted to know where you are/were, they can track your car with their onboard gps. HOWEVER i highly doubt it would ever happen unless you steal a car with gps and someone reports it, so i am sure you can take off your tinfoil hat now.

LMFAO!!!!!
Gunsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #83
TwoEcho
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-Imperial Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Interesting...and totally contradictory to your point, I think. By registering, and agreeing to that policy (which is chock full of legal fluff for "you can't sue us if we tell the cops how you got in an accident"), you DO give them consent, thus making it perfectly, 100% legal. Unsubscribe, or cancel your membership, and they don't monitor your car anymore...

I still don't see the need for any tinfoil...people just love conspiracys....
Yeah. I figured if I was gonna argue I should get all my facts stright. Something I should have done prior to opening my mouth in the first place. Guess it was the lawyer in me...

I still doubt that they will use this system to stalk us, but it is kinda creepy to know that we have inadvertently given them the ok to do so. Gotta love conspiracy theories...

TwoEcho is offline   Reply With Quote