Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #57
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
lmao being a rider myself, this comparison is damn accurate
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #58
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
We ride together, we die together
Sport bikes for LIFE!
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #59
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroMiami View Post
I understand that, I still play my Kramer but I have my Fender always near.
Unlike cars, I actually think I might be able to collect every guitar out there. Of course I'm kidding myself.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #60
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
The snobs are the ones who do not really appreciate the car or the community. These are the people who end up left out and also beaten on the track by a "lesser" model with tons of mods that in the end cost more than the ride the snob is in.

Just makes no sense to me.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #61
AZ_Gixxer1000

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Inferno Orange 6-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
lmao being a rider myself, this comparison is damn accurate

thank you! I was starting to think i was way off or did not articulate my point properly.
AZ_Gixxer1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #62
AZ_Gixxer1000

lots of good replies here. and as I said I am a motorcycle guy first. and YES there are exceptions to every rule. Lots of riders chimed in to say "hey who cares, lets ride." I remember many years ago when I felt that way too. but sadly - at least in my experience - that simply is just not the case 99% of the time.

I have been told point blank to my face that people wont ride with me because I don't have a Harley. and well... truth be told - I have told people - as nicely as I could - that I wouldn't ride with someone or go on their ride becuase of their bike. LET ME EXPLAIN.

if your bike only goes so fast and you yourself are crazy slow on top of that... it just isn't my cup of tea. Not that you have to go 100mph all the time but when you 200 miles out in the middle of nowhere the 55mph speed limit has little interest to me.

but it is nice to know that all of you Camaro guys have a good heart and open minds.

Last edited by AZ_Gixxer1000; 03-26-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #63
AZ_Gixxer1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10forty2 View Post
"Harley riders hate everyone but their own..."

Now that is just NOT true!! We just know that there are only 2 kinds of riders in the world.... those that ride Harleys and those who WANT to!

In all seriousness, though, yes, you are correct. There are always sub-cultures built around things like cars or bikes. And within each of them are more sub-cultures that develop as a result of specific nuances. IE., Camaro-lovers is one culture. Old-school Camaro lovers is another. Gen 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 lovers are others. Then there's the whole V6 vs V8 group...and now there's the ZL1 and possibly a Z28 group. Each person who owns or loves a particular one will be partial to it and will otherwise think it is superior to the others. They will also find ways to justify their preference as being superior.... "I've got magnetic ride suspension"... or "Mine is a TRUE muscle car, and yours isn't because it wasn't made in the 60's and 70's"... It's all good....just shows love and dedication for the brand and pride in ownership.

The ones I dislike most are the ones who buy something and call it "just a car" or "just a bike." If it's just a car, then you should have saved your money and bought a (fill-in-the-blank......)
Old 03-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #64
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
Op, this was a great write up with very good points. My buddy has a 250 Ninja, and only cause he's limited by his budget. He's ready to step up to a 600 but can't afford it yet. He's really cool though cause he's nice to the bike crowd and the car crowd.

I know what it's like to be edgy to other drivers and then when the competition shows up you band together with the guy you were weary about.

(kinda ironic to consider that, since I have two mustangs...

Kinda like:

Old 03-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #65
tpower
DBLCHBY III

Drives: 15 1LE
Quote:
I have been told point blank to my face that people wont ride with me because I don't have a Harley. and well... truth be told - I have told people - as nicely as I could - that I wouldn't ride with someone or go on their ride becuase if their bike. LET ME EXPLAIN.

if your bike only goes so fast and you yourself are crazy slow on top of that... it just isn't my cup of tea. Not that you have to go 100mph all the time but when you 200 miles out in the middle of nowhere the 55mph speed limit has little interest to me.

but it is nice to know that all of you Camaro guys have a good heart and open minds.
I ride a 2009 ZX14 I wont wave at Harley guys and I drive a Camaro I wont wave at a FIAT LOL
Old 03-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #66
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
whoops! Bad way to put it...

My meaning was that there are those who have LS Camaros that perhaps show more pride than those who have heavily modded SSs.........

the "And perhaps more" meant "pride" - not "price of car".........
uhhh....errrr......ummmmmm(blushing sheepishly) I was thinking you were referring to other types of Camaros coming out.......

were you?

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #67
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
1986 FJ1100 FTW

Or at least...it was, at one time
Old 03-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #68
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Well since you asked my thoughts. My thought is you feel the ZL1 entry on the market may somehow diminishes what you have and how you feel about owning what you have. Yes, the ZL1 is "pure" in an "achievement" sense. But what you have is not at all "defective". It is/was an achievement all it's own!

It's not the people buying the car who are special. It's just a special car. It is those who dreamed it up, designed it, engineered it, made it happen that have done something special too! Those of us getting one should feel blessed and hopefully honor that blessing with dignity and aplomb.

Snobbism is really a defensive mechanism of social insecurity. The same thing could be asked of Camaro 5 members. What you would find is a lot of folks find comfort in groups, organizations, and those with collective similar thoughts. The trick is to decipher perception, reality, and experience. Your experience on this forum will likely parallel "life on the street"... you will find a huge cross section of personalities, education, age, experience, skills, leadership, selfish, considerate, caring, etc etc etc etc.....

May I suggest that you will find many commonalities amongst ZL1 buyers. Some of those will be "performance" factor. Some will be buying because of the "nostalgia" factor. Everybody has a "reason".... Hopefully snob appeal is not part of it!

Grrrr...... sorry... you asked for thoughts. I didn't mean to write a book. Nobody appreciates snobs. That's for sure. I hope you find what Scott and many others continue to talk about... and that is the Camaraderie! I think you will find most of us admire the esprit de corps found within.

camaraderie
noun
friendship, comradeship, fellowship, companionship, fraternity, conviviality; mutual support, team spirit, esprit de corps.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #69
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
In short...No. I love all Camaros - and all Camaro enthusiasts!

And if anyone detects so much as a HINT of "snobbery" coming out of me via the ZL1...I want you to smack me right upside the head, please.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #70
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
And us Mustang owners used to feel bad for the C5 Camaro crowd, with their movie star ride that was almost but not quite a cool Muscle Car. But you'll get no more pity and thrown races from us trying to keep you guys happy. With the ZL1, the gauntlet has been thrown. Now you'll get the respect you craved for so long.

Kidding! Just pulled my car out of storage today and I'm so happy I'm practically giddy. Can't wait to see more 'Stangs, Challengers and Camaros of all types on the road. I'd have to say the bulk of Mustang folk I know are just car people. If its fast, cool or significant, we like it!!!

Well, So far you are my favorite Mustang guy on here....No attitude, and a true car nut..
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote